• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Automatic waterer in barns

jwstewar

We are building a new barn for our bucks. I've run the water line and put a frost free hydrant in. Looking to add automatic waterers.

What I did in the current barn, I have a water line that I ran to the milk room that is heated (and cooled). From there I ran that out to the barn area to all of the automatic waters (5 of them). When I comes winter time. I shut the water off in the milk room, disconnect the automatic waters and let the lines drain.

In the new barn I won't have a heated area to do my drain to. Easiest approach is to just attach a "Y" to the hydrant and leave the hydrant on all of the time. That is certainly possible, but I've been told (don't know for sure) that it is bad to leave the hydrants on all of the time.

I've thought about tapping into the line that supplies the hydrant and bringing it up out of the ground for a bit and wrapping it with heat tape, but I don't like that should we lose power.

Anyone else have any thoughts on how to run a water line in an unheated barn?