• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I tried to quit my job today

Eric L

Site Supporter
Been hating my job lately... not the company, not the pay. Just the job description requires more "office work" than I can stand any longer.

a little history... I'd been working for a structural steel contractor in Sonoma County CA for a couple years in the shop and out in the field on jobsites, I decided to move out of the county and told them them that I wasn't gonna be able to make the commute. another guy in the office was doing the same thing and was moving to the same county as my family and I. Company decides they want to build a presence in the Sacramento area, and gets other office guy and myself a office in the Sac area. cool.. the company moved with me...I get new job title "estimator", which in our company also means "project manager"

Not my cup of tea, staring at 4 walls, not getting out much, not to mention I hate paperwork... not just a little, but kinda like how some folks hate snakes... and its been bugging me terrible lately. I cant collect a check knowing I'm not doing the job I'm getting paid for.

I called my boss this morning and told him what I was doing.... about all he said was "get over here, Tom (the owner) and I gonna want to see you"...OK ...2.5 hr drive later and I'm behind closed doors. They wanna keep me around, so we're modifying my job description and working towards a position in the (forthcoming) new shop. Along with some field work coming up that we were short handed for anyway. I may end up being the first guy in the company to have 2 company trucks... an F-150 for estimating, and a 550 for working. :cool2:

All this stress had put a damper on my holidays, I didn't tell Jen what was up till last night... let me tell you that didn't go over well either.

thanks for lisening..

Eric

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I know where you are coming from, I lasted five years with a CPA firm. One night, ended up at my sister's house walking around and picking the fuzz out of her carpet.

Needless to say that is about the time the decision was made to get out while I still could.:rolleyes:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good for you Eric! :thumb:
Sounds like your honest up front approach worked out in your best interest for sure. Way to go guy!!!! :a1:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like you managed it well. It's always good to be able to tell your employer that you are not happy. Congrats on getting two work trucks - that's a good perk!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I kind of know how you feel. Been working inside myself now for over 8 years and was ok until just this last summer did some work out in the field and now realise how much I miss the outside work. So hopefully I can make some changes in the future.

murph

Jen's Jeep

Site Supporter
Eric L said:
All this stress had put a damper on my holidays, I didn't tell Jen what was up till last night... let me tell you that didn't go over well either.

Eric

It's all good now;)

And by the way...how long did you know before you told me??????

See ya when you get home honey;)

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
You think that you have problems...... I retired 6 years ago, and now my mortgage is late, taxes are late, my wife left me, and my girlfriend is late. :mad:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
All the best, I hope it works out for you. I too, worked in doors, in a drawing office in my younger days and then later went out on the road as driver's mate on abnormal loads, it was brilliant, I still miss it, but it was the best thing I ever did. I could not bear to be shut in an office all day, luckily that will probably not happen now as I am official retiring age!! I still mess about with trucks though, but as a hobby now, driving my own.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Eric ,
I retired at 47 . I hated my job . I hated my boss . I was self employed .:yum: .
Anyway working outdoors was always my favorite thing . Now I spend as much time as I can doing just that . Now there is always a nieghbor or friend who needs a hand with something . Geez! I need a job . I am always tired or.... !!!:burp:
Sounds like your boss really values your talent .You are a lucky man .

My boss was a slave driver ! Did I mention I was self employed ?

working woman

Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Eric ,
I retired at 47 . I hated my job . I hated my boss . I was self employed .:yum: .
Anyway working outdoors was always my favorite thing . Now I spend as much time as I can doing just that . Now there is always a nieghbor or friend who needs a hand with something . Geez! I need a job . I am always tired or.... !!!:burp:
Sounds like your boss really values your talent .You are a lucky man .

My boss was a slave driver ! Did I mention I was self employed ?[/quote

I miss being self employed. Had its drawbacks, but it sure was worth it. Hopefully some day again (did I mention not soon enough?)

Eric L

Site Supporter
OK... I did it this time... Feels good to be retired, temporarily anyway, I'll go find a new job in the morning.

:beer:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well they did not try to keep me, at least not yet. Have hired someone for my position. I gave my 2 weeks notice 3 weeks ago, have an out date of 3-23, and can not wait. I have enough cash for 6 months with NO income, but will pick up some side/temp projects to help with my resume also. Ours is a good split, my boss knows I know more than I will ever need to for his job, and he knows I feel wasted to some degree since I dont get to design or have input on my installations..........which is where my knowledge of networking is really helpful.

Anyway, 7 tests from Bill Gates and I will have a new cert MCSE plus security, and will be looking for consulting/project management jobs.

Oh yeah, the wife told me to quit, she fully supports me! did I mention I have a best of the best wife!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey if you guys know anything about repairing a Kristi KT7 hydro ,maybe we should talk !!!:smileywac