• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

EPA shuts down sole lead smelter in USA, almost 300 jobs evaporate

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What do you bet they open up on some foreign country that allows them to operate under their current technology? That would mean the world is no cleaner but the EPA would have forced nearly 300 jobs overseas. The EPA is, in my estimation, the biggest job killing and economy busting organization in the world.

FULL STORY => http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL2E8HT76620120629

Doe Run to shut Herculaneum lead plant at 2013 end
Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:13pm GMT*Print | Single Page [-] Text [+]

NEW YORK, June 29 (Reuters) - The only primary lead smelter in the United States will close, and its owner, Doe Run Co said o n F riday, and the company will not build another plant to replace the one it is closing at Herculaneum, Missouri.

The company, which the U.S. government had ordered to either shut the smelter or install cleaner technology, said the electro winning technology developed to process lead at Herculaneum did not make financial sense for that site.

"Doe Run has decided not to build its proposed, lead electro winning plant to process its Missouri mineral resources. We concluded that building a plant here would generate an unacceptable financial risk to the company," Jerry Pyatt, vice president and chief operating officer, said in a press release.

. . .​

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The other critical thing these idiots never think about is it throws our country at the mercy of foreign countries for vital materials. We already are hamstrung over rare earth minerals and a lot of other items because we let the Chinese leverage us out. What ever happened to having redundant suppliers for national security? Hell, we even buy military hardware from overseas. We won WWII because we retooled and had available manufacturing capabilities to produce for ourselves and allies. Sadly, those days are a distant memory to the fools in charge.:hammer:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you trying to say we need lead for anything? Like maybe the bullets that our soldiers use every day? Say it aint so.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Every dead battery core returned when you buy a new one for your car, now goes to Mexico City, mexico to be reprocessed into lead for new ones.

Once again, Barry H Obama, the union champion, is outsourcing American jobs to offshore labor.

But, the stats will claim that Doe Run Corporation did it. For profit and greed.

Next time you hear about Rmney's Bain Capital doing it, remember, this is how the progressives spin this stuff.

Anyone here get it yet?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Every dead battery core returned when you buy a new one for your car, now goes to Mexico City, mexico to be reprocessed into lead for new ones.

Once again, Barry H Obama, the union champion, is outsourcing American jobs to offshore labor.

But, the stats will claim that Doe Run Corporation did it. For profit and greed.

Next time you hear about Rmney's Bain Capital doing it, remember, this is how the progressives spin this stuff.

Anyone here get it yet?
Not that it matters, but thats not quite true Franc according to this article from Dec of last year. :wink:

An analysis of trade statistics by The New York Times shows that about 20 percent of spent American vehicle and industrial batteries are now exported to Mexico, up from 6 percent in 2007. About 20 million such batteries will cross the border this year, according to United States trade statistics, and that does not take into account batteries smuggled in as mislabeled metal scrap or second-hand goods. In September, more than 60 18-wheelers full of old batteries crossed the border each day, trade records show

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/s...attery-lead-puts-mexicans-in-danger.html?_r=1

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Not that it matters, but thats not quite true Franc according to this article from Dec of last year. :wink:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/s...attery-lead-puts-mexicans-in-danger.html?_r=1

Your article cites stats from 2007.

With no smelter in the US, None will be done here. re-read what I wrote sir.

Doe run has been closing it's USA smelters under the EPA onslought for years. This is the last one.
Then it gets accused of shipping jobs offshore. There is no gaurrantee that investing in new technologies will satisfy the EPA in the future. So companies leave.
Herculaneum/Festus MO area, most of St Francios and Iron county MO are on food stamps and public assistance.

Just what Barry needs to make his class warfare case.

Last edited:

Kane

This is all not to mention the Hurculean task (and obscene cost) of cleaning up the Doe Run brownfields when they exit left. The EPA's favored electro winning technology must be one helluva burden on an otherwise low tech industry.

Go Green. And if Obama cannot legislate it, he will have no problem regulating it. Congress and the will of the American People has become irrelevant.
'

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
More examples of how this awful administration with their EPA goons are running businesses into the ground or chasing them overseas. But don't you know, it's all about Bain Capital isn't it?

Are the American people ever going to wake up or are they going to keep their heads up their ass? Sorry for being blunt, but I feel the time is long gone for political correct verbage and bullshit.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter

Your article cites stats from 2007.

With no smelter in the US, None will be done here. re-read what I wrote sir.

Doe run has been closing it's USA smelters under the EPA onslought for years. This is the last one.
Then it gets accused of shipping jobs offshore. There is no gaurrantee that investing in new technologies will satisfy the EPA in the future. So companies leave.
Herculaneum/Festus MO area, most of St Francios and Iron county MO are on food stamps and public assistance.

Just what Barry needs to make his class warfare case.

I did read what you wrote Franc and i stand by what i said, not every battery core goes to Mexico for recycling and a small percentage at that from my understanding. As far as the first article i posted, the stats from 2007 were in comparison to those in the article from Dec 2011. :unsure:

An analysis of trade statistics by The New York Times shows that about 20 percent of spent American vehicle and industrial batteries are now exported to Mexico, up from 6 percent in 2007.

The EPA passed tougher restrictions about the EXPORT to other countrys, i find it hard to beleive this one last place is the only (if it even did recyle used car batterys) that still deals with the used lead recycling in the us, but that dont make it a fact.

Not trying to argue with you Franc, i have just seen this discussion elsewhere before where some recyclers in the US said they had the capabilitys to do the handling of "slabs" in house. :smile:

Lead acid batteries are those made of lead plates, usually encased in plastic and containing an acid electrolyte, such as sulfuric acid. These batteries are commonly found in cars, trucks, boats, and have many other applications. They typically have a life span of 3 to 10 years. Spent lead-acid batteries (SLABs) must be properly handled to avoid breakage, spillage and leaks, which can cause lead and/or acid contamination of the environment.
Nearly 90 percent of all lead-acid batteries used in the U.S. are recycled. Almost any retailer that sells lead-acid batteries collects used batteries for recycling, as required by most state laws. Reclaimers crush batteries into nickel-sized pieces and separate the plastic components. They send the plastic to a reprocessor for manufacture into new plastic products and deliver purified lead to battery manufacturers and other industries. A typical lead-acid battery contains 60 to 80 percent recycled lead and plastic.

Although the vast majority of domestic SLABs are recycled in the US, some are exported to Canada, Mexico, and other countries for reclamation. In July 2010, EPA revised Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) rules regarding the export of spent lead-acid batteries. The revised regulations provide stricter controls and greater transparency for exports of SLABs, and they ensure that SLABs are sent to countries and reclamation facilities in those countries that can manage the SLABs in an environmentally sound manner. For example the new regulations add export notification and consent requirements. This rule makes EPA's RCRA hazardous waste transboundary shipment regulations more consistent with those of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
http://www.bordercenter.org/chem/spentleadbatteries.htm

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
OK Cowboy, you did the research. I yield the small point.

However, my point still stands. The EPA is not an agency to protect the environmnet, as their name The Environmental Protection Agency states, but one to control industry, And it is politicaly motivated to favor the left which will eagerly hand it more and more power.

And consequently remove from our nation, an ability to mine and manufacture. Meanwhile the politicians will continue to shift blame of the subsequent oursourcing to the Corporations to whom they have given no choice.

The smelters in Mexico China and even green, clean, Canada (who houses one of the most toxic minesites for ni-cad batteries production on the planet), will still pour the crap into the air. Outside the juristiction of our beloved EPA.

The US dollars and jobs will leave our soil and the media will continue to blame the Republicans and capitalists.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
OK Cowboy, you did the research. I yield the small point.

However, my point still stands. The EPA is not an agency to protect the environmnet, as their name The Environmental Protection Agency states, but one to control industry, And it is politicaly motivated to favor the left which will eagerly hand it more and more power.

And consequently remove from our nation, an ability to mine and manufacture. Meanwhile the politicians will continue to shift blame of the subsequent oursourcing to the Corporations to whom they have given no choice.

The smelters in Mexico China and even green, clean, Canada (who houses one of the most toxic minesites for ni-cad batteries production on the planet), will still pour the crap into the air. Outside the juristiction of our beloved EPA.

The US dollars and jobs will leave our soil and the media will continue to blame the Republicans and capitalists.
I got ya Franc, and i agree 1000% with everything you said in this post, the only thing i questioned was the part i mentioned earlier. :wink:

Thats why i said it didnt really matter, i just didnt beleive it to be 100% true and thought you might know something i wasn't aware of.

I am very familiar with just how much the EPA does suck as they had a big part in shutting down my last buisiness, only to find out the property that was needed for parking for a new arena that the city was building that was paid for by a 1% increase in our sales tax. :doh:

grizzer

Are you trying to say we need lead for anything? Like maybe the bullets that our soldiers use every day? Say it aint so.

Don't need any bullets: 2007 piece for acquisition from the inside...
http://www.globalpolitician.com/23429-russia

Russian troops training in Colorado & Utah - seize and protect DIA - the CIA Western HQ, Bluffton UT - NSA Supercomputer site. May - June 2012:
http://www.eutimes.net/2012/04/us-calls-for-russian-airborne-troops-to-take-and-hold-denver-airport/

Note: Seize and protect - NOT attack & destroy...

Move to USN Russian participation in Pacific games (now) http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/hawaii-bracing-for-largest-ever-rimpac-exercise-1.181141

Finally infiltrate the USAF Oct 8: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/

Bullets are so pre-Obama :w00t2::w00t2::w00t2: