• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Track party / Washington state FSR 6710

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to say im sorry this event didnt go as planned . It was a tough decision to make calling it off . As we exited our cabin at 6am to meet up with Jim in the parking lot two trees went BANG !!!! the alders had heavy snow load and were braking . Safety first ~ No party is worth having a tree fall on you or your loved one . Lucky for Jim and I Friday we were able to scout the area . Thats one fast cat Jim has there . Note that Friday wasnt a huge snow day but walking out with the wife shows the snow load

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Photos

Attachments

• Track party 026.JPG
    Track party 026.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 534
  • Track party 039.JPG
    Track party 039.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 522

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I want to thank scott for posting the pictures .My dialup isn't built for that.
and also want to thank Irongoat for the hosting of the party.
I showed up the day before the storm and Irongoat and I got a few hours of time in running the trail in my rig.
a few limbs were falling from the heavy wet snow and we could have caugh one.
Good time and I am looking forward to more.
Jim

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
More video links.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JppyR4_Lvg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JppyR4_Lvg[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M__cBz5Fl28"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M__cBz5Fl28[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk3GDSwmv3c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk3GDSwmv3c[/ame]

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Great pics and videos. I know what you mean about the trees breaking like that. It is damn scary to be out in the woods and they start cracking and dropping all around you. Smart decision to cancel. Looks like you have plenty of snow for a redo this year yet.:clap:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Is anyone out there intrested in trailering to Washington for a track party ? Forest service road 6710 cross street Old Cascade Highway Take US HWY 2 from Skykomish Wa, east or US HWY 2 west from Leavenworth Wa. Feb 24th~ Sunday the 26th . Lodging can be found in Skykomish Wa or Leavenworth Wa.

Just dosent seem to be very many people in my area that get their Thiokol or Tuckers out . What ever it is you have we would love to see you bring it out for a cruise . Let me know if there is any intrest .:unsure:

:wow:Im going to give this another shot for a track party on FSR 6710 here in Washington State late January 2013 interested send me a post and lets talk .

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that would be cool i'm looking into getting a thiokol 2100 shippid into seattlee this winter would be cool too participate. as i would have to be down there to containerize it for the shipping season next summer

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
We might be able to help you trailer it up to the track grounds and back to Seattle . Where might you store it in Seattle any thought on that ? How much does it weigh ?

Who are you looking to buy through ?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
they weigh in around 6k and i have a vender that my company deals with that will store it for me also as aslong as i have it containerized he will load and get it to the docks for me. it just makes sence if i have to hop a plane to get down there i should do it around that time frame

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
they weigh in around 6k and i have a vender that my company deals with that will store it for me also as aslong as i have it containerized he will load and get it to the docks for me. it just makes sence if i have to hop a plane to get down there i should do it around that time frame

D ~ Sounds like my trailer will handle the weight . If you decied to get the Puss out for a spin let me know Im sure we can work out getting you up to Steven Pass and back . Its not a long trek from Seattle .

:biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
if things work out right it will be comming on a trailer with some other ff members

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
DDS

January is a great time of the year here to get out with the cat . It would be great to hear from the other ff members that possibly are interested in coming . Maybe they could post a of photo of their cat on this thread . It might get some talk going

Last edited:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
they would all be comming with my thiokol

Sweet !

The location is nice because it is in the middle of the Cascades here in Washington which gives the guys to the south and north a place in the middle to meet up . Avalanche areas can be avoided ~ not a huge area but easy to get to and friendly to play at . Snow loaded trees can be an issue ( alders ) but the old chain saw gets er done . Last years Track Party we had trees breaking and cut the party short . Safety first

Maybe this year Stan to the north will make it and Cloudcap will come ? Jim made it last year .

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
SO any idea when a date for January of 2013 might be set? For us from the midwest, it's time to plan ahead....Is the parking place Semi friendly? I might have one with a 50' flatbed and 3 machines comming....

Trucking in the mountains in Jamuary isn't something I have ever done....I hope the weather is decent..

Regards, Kirk

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk,
The weekend of Jan 25th 26th 27th . With the idea everyone checks in on the 25th to unload . Gather at the Cascadia Inn in Skykomish that night for a meet and greet . Then the 26th warm up the cats and head up the hill for show and tell .

For those looking for lodging the Cascadia Inn has rooms a bar and a restaurant . Book your rooms early :hammer: or they wont be there cancle two days prior if you have too . Be sure to let them know Marco sent you . Their phone number is 360 677 2030 ask for Henry . You can also Google it for more info .:wink:

If you plan on showing up the day of the event be there no later than 8am to be parked . You want to be unloaded and ready to leave up the hill at 9am . Once the cats are unloaded take them north across the highway to park them out of the way .

The trek will go three and a half miles down Old Cascade Highway then 3 to 9 miles up Forest Service Road ( fsr) 6710 . We will stop in the upper valley later for a BBQ burgers hotdogs my treat bring your own drinks and chairs . A rain jacket might also be a good idea . Be prepared have a first aid kit and what ever tools you feel you need . If someone gets stuck or brakes down we can get them out .
Im hoping Ron and Jim will be able to come they both have pertty cool cats and I would love to see them .
If the event looks like we are going to have more than 20 cats the location can easly be moved to another loacation . Our friends in California and Oregon may also be coming up . There is also a cat head from Alaska looking to get his new to him ride out on the snow before barging his way North .

Lets get all the input we can this year from everyone to make this years Track Party one North America can be proud of .

Some of the topics we will discuss are Back country & Cat safety and the direction of the snow cat industry . My favoraite is maintenance and getting out there to see what that thing will do !

SO any idea when a date for January of 2013 might be set? For us from the midwest, it's time to plan ahead....Is the parking place Semi friendly? I might have one with a 50' flatbed and 3 machines comming....

Trucking in the mountains in Jamuary isn't something I have ever done....I hope the weather is decent..

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
any chance of getting permission to run up the hill towards the "private" mountain ski area? Maybe just stay on the groomed ??? you letting them park in your yard should have some influence. Only13 miles of lower road will go fast.
Jim

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
There is the Beckler River area which gos on for many miles This is right next to Skykomish to the north . Its a great place if there is enough snow . As time gets closer we could use that as an option . More road there than time or fuel . Google Beckler river camp ground .
The ski resort is out of the question they would never allow us on the leased land .

Are there any good spots out by you ? I90 is a easy road for trucking to .

any chance of getting permission to run up the hill towards the "private" mountain ski area? Maybe just stay on the groomed ??? you letting them park in your yard should have some influence. Only13 miles of lower road will go fast.
Jim

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
irongoat,

Sounds good...Are you sure there is a place in the mountains to turn an 18 wheeler around to get out?? Parking lots have to be relatively large for me to be comfortable. Ice road trucker I'm not...Mountains in winter in an 18 wheeler will be a new experiance for me...

Regards, Kirk

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Jim

Jim Ahhh you ment the back country ski operation guys ! Im going to ask them this weekend thats a great idea and would be a blast to do . I have been up in my cat to that location they have a huge yurt up there great for a party ! I will ask:flowers:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
irongoat,

Sounds good...Are you sure there is a place in the mountains to turn an 18 wheeler around to get out?? Parking lots have to be relatively large for me to be comfortable. Ice road trucker I'm not...Mountains in winter in an 18 wheeler will be a new experiance for me...

Regards, Kirk

Kirk,

No problem on parking the truck and trailer worst case you will unload go down the road and turn around and come back and park . :wink:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Jim

Jim ,

I just spoke to a fellow who puts on a safety course which is free . Its right in my back yard at Stevens Pass . We are talking right now on how to tye in the Track Party/ Washington State with his free program . This would include a safety program and excellent back country catting with perfect parking for any size truck and trailer . If it works this would be an "epic event":w00t2::wow: for the whole west coast including Canada . I will keep the board posted as things develope

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One thing is to show some repect to people who operate a bisness on public land but it is still public and was told at our local ski resort that you still can use the forest service roads.
Climbing that hill to get to better snow would be fun.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
One thing is to show some repect to people who operate a bisness on public land but it is still public and was told at our local ski resort that you still can use the forest service roads.
Climbing that hill to get to better snow would be fun.

:w00t2:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Would anyone enjoy meeting up in Leavenworth to display their cat have a meal prior to heading up the mountain ? Der Ritterhof in Leavenworth www.derritterhof.com has great parking for any size rig . There are several places to eat in town I would be open to suggestions . The night life and lights of town are great this time of year . Also if your planning to come book your stay early as rooms fill up quickly this time of year .

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Up date
The payment to the Leaveanworth chamber of commerce for a membership has been made anyone intrested in helping with the town activities portion of the event speak up !

The washington state forest service called me back and we hope to have an "additional cat jamboree tour " location permited this September . Should anyone like to be involved in helping to choose the area contact me on this fourm .

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Me, Redsqurel, and dds are plannig on being there. Thanks for taking the time Iron Goat. It may be the only time I get out that far west to go snow catt'in..The better the event you are able to put together, we're all for!!

Hope others are willing to get there as well. The more the better, I think.

Regards, Kirk