• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

basket on a hitch

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was thinking of getting a basket that slides into a reciever hitch for my bombi. Has anyone seen this done? I think I could just weld the reciever next to my hitch. Jim
DSC02777.jpg

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess it would be ok, but won't make for a very challenging game. :rolleyes:

Or is this the kind of 'basket' you're talking about?

receiver-hitch-basket-6.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've considered using one of those baskets too. It would also help out when running the tractor around in the summer to put a basket off the 3pt hitch for carrying around a small amount of stuff for gardening/landscaping.

The type that Bobcat shows is exactly what I would use. They are often seen on the back of SUVs loaded up with coolers and luggage.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had one of those cargo carriers for about 10 years. I think I've used it twice. I honestly didn't like it.

A couple things I've found. These may or may not apply to putting on a snowcat.
- Vehicles with a flat back has a low-pressure area directly behind the vehicle that sucks in whatever is airborne (mist, snow, dust...). Well, all that dumps on whatever is in your carrier. I got around this by getting a huge duffle bag that's made for these things and putting my contents in there and zippering it up. BTW, although I never use the carrier anymore, the bag is handy when I put luggage in the back of the pickup. It keeps the weather off the suitcases.
- They're kind of a PITA to put on, take off and store. Probably not an issue for your snowcat but if you take one on vacation, you need to carry it up to your hotel room or store someplace. If you leave it on, it's hard to see when parking and is also a shin buster. They do have flip-up ones now that would address that issue (but you need to fold it back down to open the rear hatch/tailgate of the vehicle).
- I don't recall the exact details since it's been several years since I've used it but the slop between the drawbar and receiver allows the carrier to dip on the ends and rattle some. As I recall, overloading to one side to bind it a bit helped (put a heavy cooler on one side and sleeping bags on the other).

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess it would be ok, but won't make for a very challenging game. :rolleyes:

Or is this the kind of 'basket' you're talking about?

View attachment 37249
Yes that is what I was thinking about. Thanks for The tip about it getting moth balled in snow and loose . I'll have to design it to prevent some of this. It will be for hunting so gear and game will be hauled.
I have one of those large plastic carriers for my roof that seals that could be bolted to it .
Jim
I was unable to find a picture of the Bobcat one. Is it made by bobcat?

Last edited:

brianf

here is a carrier I put on the back of a bombi, it will fill with snow, but mountin it up high will keep it from getting damaged

Attachments

• bombi_hy_post[1].jpg
    bombi_hy_post[1].jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 235

brianf

I had two of these, they came from a electric company and were this way from new, do not know if the dealer or factory did the conversion but they used all bombi parts and the belts were not spliced to make them longer, unreal in deep snow and climbing hills,

Radar4xfour

How about this one I built for my Bombi. Longer snow flaps would help to keep the snow out of the basket. It is sized so plastic totes with lids fit just right.

Attachments

• IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 196

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, radar is that the Bombi you are planning on selling to me? 2500.00 seems a little steep......:yum: thats right new steering bands and ring and pinion gear.
3000.00 I forgot...... :w00t2:

Radar4xfour

Um...no that is not correct. Besides the basket alone in worth an old, decrepit, extended cab Toyota mini truck. Don't you have horses to milk or something better to do? Wait, don't answer that....:yum:

cranman

I made one for my bombardier narrow guage and it works fine for carrying extras like gas and ice augers or power saws with gas in them but you have to have them encased or they become a snowball enroute. I have receiver hitches mounted front and back of all my vehicles, including the bombardier, my pickup, my bush 4x4 .Suzuki Samurai, mainly to accomodate my Warn 6000 winch. I like to be able to use the winch from either end because with my luck when I'm stuck the winch will be on the wrong end. I even welded a receiver on the front of my tandem trailer so I can pull dead vehicles on to the deck .

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
One thing to consider is making it removable so you can have easy access to that pintle hitch on the back..........you know, just in case you come across a broken down Kristi on the trail that needs a tow.........

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks for the photos. I need it to carry a deer so a blanket of snow on it is no big deal. I am about ready to pick up some new tires also. any Idea who has a fair price?
Jim