• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1962 4t10 ?

buzz

Hello everyone, I just found this site and sounds like you guys know a thing or two about snow cats. I am looking at buying a 1962 4t10 and I do not know anything about snow cats so I will be asking plenty of questions.The cat has been sitting for 10 to 12 years, the oil looked good,there was no antifreeze in sight but hopefully it was just down a ways? The tracks are rotten and broke but all the grousers and hardware are all there. The paint is pretty bad. The body is all straight and all the windows good. Interior is ok. Over all I think it will be a great start because it is complete. What do you guys think ? What other engines will fit this machine? How hard is it going to be to find parts for this engine and running gear. What are the chances of this engine being a runner. what do you think about transmission and power selector and rearends. Any help will be greatly apreciated and if you don't like typing like me give me a call. I live in washington so if it is long distance I will call you back on my dime. THANKS IN ADVANCE. MATT @ 509 395 2919

buzz

Here's the pictures of the old girl. Let me know what you think. 103_0201.jpg

103_0205.jpg

103_0208.jpg

103_0209.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like you've got a nice workable project there. Welcome to the forum. You should be able to get allot of good advice on parts and such from other members here.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
you don't want that one... unless maybe it's dirt cheap... what's the asking price?
Any reason the driveshafts are disconnected from the rear/Danas?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
LOL. I know exacly where that cat is. Ive posted pictures here somewhere. Anyway As far as the engine just sell it to WEATHERBY. He may want it for spares. The engine I would put in its place is a Ford Inline 250. For a transmission go with the C-6 automatic. The rear twin diffs and tranmission thingy just need to go to somone who REALLY wants them for whatever reason. Dont throw them away since they may have a part or two that can be utilized to get a 4T in better shape up and running again. Anyway just throw in a OC-12 instead. BOGGIE should have several for sale. Basically the only thing you have and will keep is the body. Everything else is pretty much crap. Sorry but its true. BUT its still a Thiokol 4t/601! I love those bodies! If you try and rebuild what is there then you will be looking for years for all the parts you need if you can ever find them. Again look up WEATHERBYs posts. Youll understand what im talking about and his is a more modern version than the one you have. Not sure what they are asking for it but its not really worth much. I do love the body style but I know of one I could have picked up (601) for 7K that was running. Had great tracks and rear sprockets. An OC16 rear diff which is worth 9K by its self! The engine was in good shape. I should have bought it when I had the chance.....Oh well. Keep looking around for a much better machine. They are out there for sure!

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I think that's why Bobcat left it sitting there .... he looked at it a long time ago.
This is the type that was one of the first and the military said they wanted something more reliable than the dual drive shaft model with the funky lumpy power distributor in the middle (it takes 24 clutch disks... someome referenced $1200 somewhere on the site to replace fiber disks and metal dividers)... as Snow Ops mentioned... the OC15 (you thinking of 16 year olds Ops when you mentioned the OC16?) ;) was produced to rid the problems of the dual shaft unit. Yes, Snow Ops should have bought the 601/OC-15 unit he found but he didn't want to listen to no one else... had his own big idears. ;)

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
once you put enough blood, sweat, and bank into them they're fun like that 16 year-old Snow Ops was thinking about.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yah yah yah......... 16 year olds. It was a mistake thast all... Really. LOL All kidding aside BUZZ if you can find one with a OC"15" then you will be in great shape. Those rear diffs are unbelievably strong!

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Uhhhh, Mainer...I just looked at your profile....I love you man... :cry: :thumb: :w00t2:

snapshot2.png

tomelroy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rgsuE75XF0"]YouTube - 1962 Thiokol Trackmaster 4t10 snowcat[/ame]

If its all there and the price is right...do it!

buzz

hey snowcat operations if you know where this cat is I would be very surprised. So you tell me where and I'll verify to everyone that you do or not.:biggrin: As for the cat I am still thinking on what to do. What is this machine worth. What is a SPRYTE going to cost. I am looking for a cat to hunt out of with the hounds. A guy I know just got an IMP but I thought it would be to small for what I want, but I have saw alot of sprytes that I think would be about the right size for what I am wanting to do. Thanks for all the input so far.:smile:

tomelroy

I have seen pics of that 4t10 on the board before....someone on here knows were it is.

As a general rule you dont want to be in a running 4t10 in fair conditoin for more the 5k. If that thing need new belting you will have alot of time consuming work on you hands and from what i have been told as much as 2k for new belting alone. So 2-3k would be a my guess on what that machine is worth.

Its hard to compare a spryte to a 4t10, the spryte has a much lighter PSI and will do much better in the light powder. It depends on what model spyte you are talking about? oc-4 or oc-12 rearend, the oc-12 sprytes usually are more expensive.

If you are going to be in deep light snow, go with the spryte.

What do they want for the 4t10?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
hey snowcat operations if you know where this cat is I would be very surprised. So you tell me where and I'll verify to everyone that you do or not.:biggrin: As for the cat I am still thinking on what to do. What is this machine worth. What is a SPRYTE going to cost. I am looking for a cat to hunt out of with the hounds. A guy I know just got an IMP but I thought it would be to small for what I want, but I have saw alot of sprytes that I think would be about the right size for what I am wanting to do. Thanks for all the input so far.:smile:

OK. So, if you look up some of the threads I've put out there you'll see that something like an Imp or a Spryte have superior dual-track steering differentials than does that dual-shaft 4T10 you're looking at. Depending on how you define hunting (many people use the 601...the model SUBSEQUENT to the 4T10 because it has such a kick-ass design that it can handle off-road hunting conditions). The 4T10 is more fragile. WIth that being said, I like to collect them...not use them in the way you do... I like to frame-off restore them and look at them...so a 4T10 is a nice machine for a guy like me. Or if you're tooling around in the snow it's ok...but anything rugged... then a 6-series is more appropriate.

Anyway, I'll verify more than the location... you're buying from Gary.

As an aside, that 4T10 is worth something in the $500-1,000 range looking at the condition...belts are fried, diffs are disconnected (so who knows what that means...may need new rear ends or shafts and if the power divider is toast... then you're hosed and then into replacing it with an OC12 or so...OC12 is about $3500 and then you have to change out some of the running gear). Parts are tough on these but if you have a stockpile then it's no big deal. Typically you can buy a fully operating 4T10 for about $2500-5K, with huge variation in condition but still fully operational. Some people like to live in imaginary worlds (or find people who have no clue), and try to get more...

Last edited:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
... So 2-3k would be a my guess on what that machine is worth.

No way. $2-3K gets you a fully operational 4T10 with poor cosmetics. If this were a situation of 'it was runnin when parked' then maybe $2K but there's no way it was running.

tomelroy

I have never seen it in person or close ups on critical parts. lets see some close ups on the sprockets, track guides and grousers. If they are in good shape i would buy it for spare parts. Depending on condition for 2k even if the engine is seized and the power divider is toast. You just can't buy these spare parts for the 4t's anymore. And even if you could you could easily spend 50 to 100 bucks per grouser/track guide. and is'nt there 150 total on the 4t's ? 150 x50.00 is 7,500.00. and you would be lucky to get the sprockets recovered for 500.00.

If those items are in great shape it significantly effects he value of the machine in my book.

Are the headlights includes...it looks like they may have been sold off.

without knowing the condition and the asking price....its hard to say

buzz

Hey Mainer, I am impressed.:wink: You guys do know you stuff. I realy did not think you guys knew where this cat was. To be more specific on what I need for hunting is I want to be able to have two other passngers,3 or 4 hounds, gear for a couple days, and be comfortable sitting in the machine cruising backroads looking for cougar and bobcat tracks for at least 12 hours. I need something that I can legally haul (width) with my pickup. I currently hunt off of snowmobiles with a little trailer in tow but they are far from comfortable. I want a cab and a nice warm heater.:clap:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I have never seen it in person or close ups on critical parts. lets see some close ups on the sprockets, track guides and grousers. If they are in good shape i would buy it for spare parts. Depending on condition for 2k even if the engine is seized and the power divider is toast. You just can't buy these spare parts for the 4t's anymore. And even if you could you could easily spend 50 to 100 bucks per grouser/track guide. and is'nt there 150 total on the 4t's ? 150 x50.00 is 7,500.00. and you would be lucky to get the sprockets recovered for 500.00.

If those items are in great shape it significantly effects he value of the machine in my book.

Are the headlights includes...it looks like they may have been sold off.

without knowing the condition and the asking price....its hard to say

Sure, there are many ways to build up a rational that it's worth $2K. However, I'm talking about what these typically go for... not talking about what a collector may pay to have a heap of parts.... grousers could be in crap condition after sitting for 10-12 years, who knows about any of it... as ops said...take the body and run. ROFL. Just kidding.

It just depends on what a person wants really... some wouldn't pay more than 500-1000 others higher depending... there's a huge amount of personal preference but typical market going rate for this condition of a unit... is what I stated. Not that you wouldn't pay more given your dependency on spares, etc... which does not bump the average up enough because there aren't that many owners with more than 1, etc...

Anyway, mileage varies. I've paid $2,500 for a mechanically and cosmetically sound 601... so.... and yea, I've padi a lot more too... but condition and passion are drivers.

Alot of people scrap the power divider...and a lot of people don't like the convoluted built up grouser of the 4T-series.... so many would change those...but if it's for parts... so, again, varies.

tomelroy

supply and demand....you are hoarding up the supply so even though the demand is relativly low, the supply is even lower.

I will happily sell my 4t10 if you will hook me up with one of your 601's!:shifty:

but honestly what is the asking price? or at least give me the phone number to gary so I can ask...