• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

KLR

RedRocker

Going tomorrow to look at a KLR 650, need to park the Dodge and commute
on something a little less thirsty. I've never owned anything but Harley's, so this should be interesting.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I hope you don't have a long commute, it doesn't look very comfortable.

I think I'd be looking at Shadows myself.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy Rocker,
last winter I rebuilt an 82 FLH. I am now riding it to work daily. I survive each week on about $24 worth of gas. It is old and so am I so we get along pretty good. I still love that old shovelhead idle. Have a goodun!!!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
RedRocker. They dont call the KiLRs for nothing. They are over weight. Dont really handle the dirt or street very well.! NOW you should be looking for a Honda XR 650L or even the Honda Xl650. If all you want is a moderate street machine the XL is the way to go that performs well on the street and back trails. MUCH BETTER than the Kilasakis

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
come on Rocker, get a shovel head that you can fix up and listen to that music again. You know that once you have heard that shovel head siren call you will never be happy with a poser bike. Have a goodun!!

RedRocker

that's the thing, this ain't no poser bike, no one will mistake it for a V twin. LOL
I might build up another scoot one of these days, but the $$ ain't there right now.

mak2

Going tomorrow to look at a KLR 650, need to park the Dodge and commute
on something a little less thirsty. I've never owned anything but Harley's, so this should be interesting.

I too parked my pick up truck and have started riding a bike. er bicycle. I am 48 years old and finally got a desk job last year and then started porking up. I ride 13.8 miles each way through downtown Indy. I have lost 2 lbs per month since with absolutely no regard for diet. Course a Harley would be fun too.

RedRocker

If I had a safe way to do that I'd give it a try, I've got about 17 miles one way, but I'd be dead the first day I tried it.

mak2

If I had a safe way to do that I'd give it a try, I've got about 17 miles one way, but I'd be dead the first day I tried it.

I truly think a motorcycle would be much safer. But I really do enjoy it. Last year I thought it was going to kill me, now is it just a decent workout.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy Rocker,
there are old shovels out there just begging to be re-done by someone who appreciates them. I am almost 70 and that old hog just gets sweeter every day that I ride it and hear that music. Go on admit it, you are just waiting for a shovel to come your way!!!! I ride mine about 35 miles a day to work and back. Much better than Geritol and as luck would have it, I have to pass a small country beer joint where I exit the highway to my county road. Man Life Is GOOD!!!!!

RedRocker

Here's my old 66 shovel, this pic was taken in the early 70's.
74.jpgsm1.jpg

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Working away from home has limited my bike riding but come November 3rd, the first day in the new office 7 miles from the front door, the FL is going to start getting a lot more time!!!!

2 more weeks ........... *sigh*

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
RedRocker. They dont call the KiLRs for nothing. They are over weight. Dont really handle the dirt or street very well.! NOW you should be looking for a Honda XR 650L or even the Honda Xl650. If all you want is a moderate street machine the XL is the way to go that performs well on the street and back trails. MUCH BETTER than the Kilasakis

I have a XR650L that I am about to sell!

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here in the Colorado Mtns I ride a XR650L and my buddy rides a KLR650 so I can give a good comparison. Both of us used to ride dirt Yamaha TT600's so we're used to riding big bore thumpers on rocky trails. The XR is unquestionably more capable off road, although the KLR made it over boulder strewn Tincup Pass last year too. On the other hand the KLR can out cruise the the XR on the highway significantly. KLR is alot heavier, much of which is up high making it harder to control on rough surface. That same weight along with farings and windshield make it hold the road easy at speeds I don't feel safe at with my XR , especially with crosswinds and/or 18 wheelers. XR holds 2.2 gallons fuel, KLR more like 6. Like Snowops said these machines are a compromise and not terrific on either highway or trail. But for dirt road and mtn passes nothing's much better.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I am very much a riding rookie and that XR650L is really too much for me on the trails. I used to run it to the store from time to time, but it has never been a regular mode of transportation for me. It is a hoss though.