• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

OC-4 Question

urednecku

Site Supporter
Gallons of what?
My d1500 holds 30 gallons of gasoline, 1.25 gallons of engine oil.......:poke:

BTW, whats an OC-4?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Shit man. Gallons of beer! What the hell else would we be talking about. Unlessen of course your one of those high faluten types that just drink those darned fruity thingies. And if you are then you aint got no darned business here on the man side of the forums. YUP!

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
2. There is a level plug on the left side of the transmission also but sometimes the unit is not mounted level. Reductions up to fill plugs.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks MTNCRAWLER. The reason for asking is I needed to get some for a friend but wanted to get one gallon jugs instead of one 5 gallon jug which I know is way too much.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
My Kristi manual says the KT-3 has an S70FS differential, which is supposedly the same guts as an OC-4, but possibly in a different case. The manual says the case capacity is 6 lbs of SAE 90 and the lubrication chart says to change with 4lbs. Either way, a gallon of oil equals 6-8lbs, so a gallon should do an OC-4. Yes/No?

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
OC-4 has two interconnected compartments. Rear one is for the differential and the front one is the transmission. Each has its own drain plug but both will fill through the diff case plug on left side. I'm not familiar enough with the KT-3, does it have a transmission attached to the differential box?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like it's just the diff with a chain connecting it to the custom Kristi tran and VW bell housing. The OC-3 diff used by the Thiokols et al is listed somewhere here as an S70F-12 while the Kristi version is listed as an S70FS.

Some day I'll get a chance and the time to tear one of these apart and doc it fully, but BigA will probably beat me to it.

Attachments

• KT-3 Diff.JPG
    KT-3 Diff.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 464
  • KT3%20track%20system%20006.jpg
    KT3%20track%20system%20006.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 463

IMP

Site Supporter
I have a 1404 IMP with a C4 transaxle that I changed oil in this winter. I dont remember exactly how many quarts I put in at the time but I know I started out with 12 quarts and now I have 2.5 qts. left on my shelf. Hope that helps.:thumb:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry, had to post to this thread to get a full 'Mainer' spread on the latest updates to the forum. ;) I couldn't resist. Won't happen again!

Attachments

• mainer.jpg
    mainer.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 373

BoyToys

2 gallons roughly before it starts puking out the side plug. That amount fills both the differential and the transmission attached to it. May want to consider an additional quart to assure the pinion bearing gets enough lube when climbing steep grades, otherwise don't worry about it.