• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hydrostatic Imp

Vance

Hi all,

While out snowcatting this past weekend, I found out that one of the cats in the area is a hydrostatic Imp. I never knew such a thing existed. He said they only made it for a year or two. I didn't get a chance to take pics with the heavy snow and busy schedules but can take some pics next time in the area.

Any questions/pic requests for this cat?

Are they common and I'm just didn't know?

Vance

BTW, the general comments about the two Imps in my area are that they are great cats but the short wheelbase makes for a bumpy ride on the 2 mile hauls.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
BTW, the general comments about the two Imps in my area are that they are great cats but the short wheelbase makes for a bumpy ride on the 2 mile hauls.

Never heard about the Hydrostatic drive, but I suppose it could be something that was tried to see if it would fly...

As far as the short wheelbase, my Imp does tend to buck a bit if you try to open it up on rough trails that have been used alot by snowmachines and the like after we break a trail open. I normally cruise at about 10-13 miles per hour and that works out OK. There is only a few places where I can "Open it up" and get up in the 20+MPH.

Since I have the wide track with the flat grousers that go all the way accross, I get to pick up on every little lump in the trail. The drop grousers on some of the older Imps may make a better ride on hardpack, it may be that it puts more load on the snowpack in a smaller area and drives it down the few inches to absorb the impact a bit before the wider part of the track contacts the trail and stops the downward motion...

I don't think having the solid foam tires helps my ride much either, they don't flex as much like an air filled tire does and being a lot heavier. It makes for a rougher ride though, but I don't have to worry about fixing a flat either...bit of a trade off...

The Snowtrac's seem to have a better ride due to a bit longer track base (although on a long trip sitting sideways for the passengers doesn't make for a very good ride on a long trip).... But the Snowtracs are so "tender" and break down so often... I guess that is the trade off... A good short ride 'til you walk a good long way....:poke: :yum:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Never heard of a hydrostatic Imp but I'd love to see some pictures.

I'd be very interested to see the drives and a picture of the rear ground clearance. Also the controls for speed.

I know where I can get a proper Imp motor with a huge hydraulic pump already bolted to it :)

Thanks, Vance :thumb:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if the owner was confused? Many people don't understand terms like hydrostatic and hydraulic to sufficiently discuss them (I know, I'm one of those people) but I know enough to know when a repair man is trying to screw with me on one of my tractors (which have hydrostatic drives and hydraulic systems for implements).

Vance

This got me curious so I did a search and found this old post. This could be the very cat that I'm talking about as the post is in the approx location and time for acquiring the cat.

Snowcat sales and wants

Thiokol 1440 Imp for sale
Date: 9/25/04

Comments
I currantly have a Thiokol Imp for sale It is called a 1440 due to the fact that it is fully hydrostatic drive with wide tracks, 300ci 6cyl engine, has only 800hours on it, also has blade on front, 2 man cab, this was a prototype, Thiokol made only 2, A great machine!! call us for more info JEFF FLEMING 209 795 4335 (calif.) Email sierrasnocat@xxxxx.com 9000.00 obo

I'll talk with the owner and get some pics when I catch up to it again in a week or two.

Vance

Vance

UPDATE:

This hydrostatic cat is FOR SALE. The owner picked up a big groomer to build snowboard terrain.

I'm waiting for details and pics from the owner. Might be on eBay soon.

PM me for contact info.

Vance