• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Making money Online

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's commonly called Internet Marketing. Do we have anyone here who is active in Internet Marketing and making money online?

jwstewar

No, but if you figure it out let me know. Monica is looking for a job and hasn't had much luck, but what would even be better is if she could find out how to do something from home. It would be nice to be able for her to do that so she could still be here for the kids.

simpleplan

I'm Big Dog's brother and I do lots of online marketing...how can I help you? You can find me at Kevin Mallory dot com.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh great. Multi-level NETWORK Marketing. Is this a new twist on the pyramid or ponzi scheme?

simpleplan

The person who started the post asked about making money online and marketing online and I can share my experiences. I do affiliate marketing and network marketing...both require a great deal of expertise in online marketing if you want to do it that way. You can burn through a ton of money trying to get it right.

The key word being "marketing" here. It's a learned profession that requires much skill as does any other skill that deserves a good salary or fees for services rendered. If the person that started the post has some specific questions about online marketing I can at least tell them what I've learned and it's not all pretty. Network marketing deserves it's shady reputation because it over-run by people who are not marketers. It's like sending in a demolition team to do brain surgery. Doesn't work out real well.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Kevin. Welcome to ForumsForums. Wow, Big Dog's brother ....and you admit to it. :yum: :yum: :poke: :yankchain:

Thanks for the reply. I know what affiliate marketing is, but have never looked under the covers to really understand it. Would network marketing and internet marketing (IM) be considered the same thing?

I'll take a look at your site and probably have more questions. Be on the lookout for a PM from me.

simpleplan

Hi Doc...ya, admitting that I'm Big Dog's brother was probably a big snafu.

To answer your question - no, network marketing and internet marketing are not the same thing but the common denominator is that "marketing" word. How people do network marketing greatly varies as well for instance - many people do network marketing face to face or working their "warm" market.

However, most network marketers have migrated and use internet marketing to their advantage to promote their program and the #1 thing that the heavy hitters have mastered is cornering the Google adwords market especially if they are part of a new company. I personally know two guys that got into a company early on and they spent $1,000 to $2,000 per month cornering the Google adwords market for a particular company when it first came out about 4 years ago. Did it pay off? These dudes are now in the $10,000 to $35,000 per month of income zone...month after month. But the company and right product is important as well and they also had the proper intuition at the correct time. Almost like those that recognized Ebay, Google, Dell, Yahoo and Microsoft stock at the right time and pitched in several thousand early on.

And, since then (4 years ago) - many other people have figured out what they have done and try to replicate it so...the competition has gotten stiffer and therefore you have to a.) really know what your doing in the adwords department and b.) probably spend even more than they did to corner the market. Very expensive and very risky for the average bear and this is another contributor to why most (in the 97% range) network marketers fail. The don't take into account a decent marketing budget, they don't stick with it when they don't see a big check right away and they don't know what they are doing. They are in a marketing arena without training and adequate skills. It's inevitable that they'll get slaughtered.

I'm about a 12 handicap in golf...because I don't play much, don't practice much, don't have a sport psychologist or a teaching pro that I hook up with for lessons a few times a year, and then there's whatever raw talent that I was born with (or not). Now think Tiger Woods...there is a reason this guy is earning millions like we might earn thousands or hundreds. He has raw talent, he has coaches, and he still practices his butt off. I really like to compare network marketing to the PGA tour because it's really that way. There's going be a top dog like Tiger...and dozens that make maybe 10's of millions per year...and even more that make a few million per year and, so it goes...many that make around 1/2 million to 1 million per year all the way down to the Nationwide tour guys and all the way down to an amateur that makes few hundred bucks per year playing little tournaments at his local club. There's only so much room at the top so you have to earn it and do the things that they do or have done to get there. Many people WISH for a very large income with network marketing but are unwilling to do the WORK that is takes to be at the top of the tour.

And really, this applies to everything including internet marketing. If you are going to rise to the top and be a Tiger and earn big money - are you willing to separate yourself from the masses and practice, get coaches, invest your money in training and work your arse off?

So I'll conclude with this major fatal flaw with network marketing. Many of the big dogs (sorry Big Dog) tell the masses and average Joe's out there that it's easy, that anyone can do it and all you have to do is get 2 or 3 in order for the big fat checks to start rolling in. So in come all those people wishing for something...hoping for something for little or nothing, straight on into the slaughter house...baaaahhhh, baaaaahhh, (sheep).

What you really need is a few Tiger's on your team and you better have your A game and know what your doing if your going to convince a few of them to come on board with you.

Affiliate marketing or internet marketing is much the same way except you only get paid on 1 or 2 levels and often only once. But you still have to really, really know what you're doing in order to not get burnt trying to position yourself for sales. There are many Tigers out there that your competing with also.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Great intro Simpleplan! Sounds like there is a lot of wisdom in your post. I suspect that to be successful in your business (like most) you do have to work at it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very informative post. Thanks SP. I am considering an offer to enter into IM and I might have a few questions for you in a week or two.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very informative post. Thanks SP. I am considering an offer to enter into IM and I might have a few questions for you in a week or two.

I'll need a percentage of your profits Doc to pay SP back for joining FF .............:yum: :rock:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
did ya have to twist his arm a lot? Thanks buddy!!!

So, does that mean you'll cover the losses also? :yankchain: :D

simpleplan

I can help you minimize your losses. Start with a very low cost program and commit to a very low marketing budget. I'm in several programs and make some money from most of them but this one is my favorite low cost deal.

http://share.jerkydirect.com

You get 1/2 pound of jerky and a business site for only $12.00 per month and a couple of bucks shipping. The team I'm part of sends you 100 postcards and labels with leads to get starting. Very cool and something to dabble with.

Which brings up an important point...do you have a website and something to sell? In order to carve out your little place in the Internet Marketing arena, you really need to think hard about what you're trying to sell...how does you website present it and how do you smoke your competition? Because like I said, that competition is fierce.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Kevin.
I'm webmaster for a number of sites already and that is why I was approached about this new 'venture'. We definitely have something to sell ... getting to be number 1 in that market will not be easy. But I'm still considering it as a project that has true growth potential; as long as I have the time necessary to make a go of it.

I'm not in the market for another product like the jerky, but thanks for the offer.

P

Pigtails

So Kevin,
I see you live in WA? How does the jerky compare to Tillamook jerky? When we had our wholesale business that was a great seller and still is in our "neck of the woods"..

simpleplan

They have so many flavors, meats and ways that they prepare their jerky (shredded, pressed, natural, etc.) it's hard to compare to the Tillamook brand although one as I recall is similar. My favorite jerky anywhere (I am not affiliated or a sales representative) is here:

http://www.jerkyusa.com/

It's all natural - no preservatives.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
You get 1/2 pound of jerky and a business site

Jerky? Something I can get at gas stations, walmart, grocery stores..... and you think that would be profitable?
Ahhhhhh..... how about your company give me 70% of the margin if I get someone to buy jerky from you and I dont pay anything for the jerky or website?

Sounds more like the company youre with is selling jerky and site management.:idea:

simpleplan

Value is in the eye of the beholder and $12.00 for a 1/2 pound of jerky and a business website is an excellent deal. And, you really can earn good money if you know how to market which most do not. It's a learned profession just like anything else. Just curious - you think you get a great deal at grocery stores and convenient stores and therefore demand their "margins"? Whatever...

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
you think you get a great deal at grocery stores and convenient stores and therefore demand their "margins"? Whatever...

I dont find it logical to order something, pay shipping, possibly tax and wait a few days for something I can easily aquire right down the road from me UNLESS the quality is outstanding.
To think that jerky is something that people search for on the internet to purchase... and is a money maker, is very hard to believe.
You mentioned their "margins". Come on man. Margins? On jerky???? Who in the hell would think... 'I can get a bag of jerky at the store a few miles from my house but WAIT!! :4_11_9: I can hop on the internet and buy some jerky! Sure I'll have to pay either tax or shipping or both AND wait 3-5 business days.... but the MARGIN is sooooo much BETTER! I can save $1.5 on a $4 bag!! :pat: I need to buy bread, milk and chocolate soy milk at that store close to me... but I cant pass up that great margin on the freakin jerky from that guys website that only sells JERKY.'

Lets not forget the other places that are much more well known on the internet that sells jerky... plus 200 other items that have name recognition.
PLUS if the jerky is that great then it must be superior. If it is then obviously Im not looking for 'margin'. Im looking for quality.

If your argument was, you have the best quality (NOT margin) then I can imagine someone searching and buying on the internet at a reputable site.

People that think of margin are folks that OWN jerky sites! And then they would purchase from distributors around the country.
They would either buy from one of MANY distributors in bulk and keep the product at their site IF they have a lot of demand OR they simply drop-ship the product directly from the distributor. :rolleyes:

simpleplan

You get a back office to manage your business and a storefront to process your orders. That has value. The tax breaks you get for having a home based business for $13.97 per month (including shipping and tax) are huge unless you already pay little or no taxes. You're all caught up in comparing it to retail and that's like comparing apples to oranges. Have you looked at all the brands...buffalo, turkey jerky and the list goes on plus fruit snacks. You can sell supplements as well. That kind of variety isn't necessarily down the road at your convenient store.

Look dude, I'm not going to debate you - you have your mind made up. It's a great value in my mind. You think it sucks so well enough. You keep debating on the forums and I'll keep making money. Gotta go...I have revenue producing activities to attend to.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I dont find it logical to order something, pay shipping, possibly tax and wait a few days for something I can easily aquire right down the road from me UNLESS the quality is outstanding.
To think that jerky is something that people search for on the internet to purchase... and is a money maker, is very hard to believe.
You mentioned their "margins". Come on man. Margins? On jerky???? Who in the hell would think... 'I can get a bag of jerky at the store a few miles from my house but WAIT!! :4_11_9: I can hop on the internet and buy some jerky! Sure I'll have to pay either tax or shipping or both AND wait 3-5 business days.... but the MARGIN is sooooo much BETTER! I can save $1.5 on a $4 bag!! :pat: I need to buy bread, milk and chocolate soy milk at that store close to me... but I cant pass up that great margin on the freakin jerky from that guys website that only sells JERKY.'

Lets not forget the other places that are much more well known on the internet that sells jerky... plus 200 other items that have name recognition.
PLUS if the jerky is that great then it must be superior. If it is then obviously Im not looking for 'margin'. Im looking for quality.

If your argument was, you have the best quality (NOT margin) then I can imagine someone searching and buying on the internet at a reputable site.

People that think of margin are folks that OWN jerky sites! And then they would purchase from distributors around the country.
They would either buy from one of MANY distributors in bulk and keep the product at their site IF they have a lot of demand OR they simply drop-ship the product directly from the distributor. :rolleyes:

Sushi,
Rep points for your great post on this subject....:thumb:

My prior business was selling wholesale to retail stores. One of our greater volume product lines was Tillamook jerky. We were one of the largest Tillamook jerky distributors in the country prior to Tillamook giving out distributorship's to the large grocery wholesale companies. We sold the product to retail stores in 10 western states and had to service each store in a timely manner to keep the product stocked and fresh. Tillamook was one of the best beef jerky products availble at that time. Our internet site did basically zero business for jerky. It was available on line but people just don't buy that type of product in any volume on line.

People buying jerky do not think about ordering off the internet, they want it now.

The basis of home based business tax savings will not last long as the IRS looks hard for these type of scam business set ups.

simpleplan

Quote:

People buying jerky do not think about ordering off the internet, they want it now.

The basis of home based business tax savings will not last long as the IRS looks hard for these type of scam business set ups.

=== Reply ===
Ya, great post...just wrong.

A self appointed home business expert because you sold some jerky in stores? I'm sorry...I'm not biting (no pun intended). You make some valid points but please read on...

To broadly say that "people want their jerky now" is very narrow minded and perhaps a little behind the times. In fact, it's just plain wrong. Can you say Ebay?

How many people are moving jerky on Ebay? Just go there and type "jerky" and you'll see a few results. Like 591 when I last checked!

And, do you know how much this company's (Luther's Jerky) business went up and continues to go up because they went online?

They at one time sold 90% of their jerky mail order only and the rest of their market was local. Since going online their business has grown tremendously and now almost 100% of their business is online. I've spoken with their sales representatives and they struggled to keep up right after going online. They have had to expand their operations big time.

I buy this jerky (in addition to my monthly shipment of Jerky Direct jerky) because it is all natural (no preservatives) and so do many other happy customers. It's much, much better than any store bought jerky including Tillamook's and well worth the wait.

Here is their website: www.JerkyUSA.com (There is no home business aspect to it and when you add shipping it's as expensive as Jerky Direct). So depending upon what you're comparing to Jerky Direct is competitive even with the online sales site and back office.

There are niche markets (in stores, online, etc.) for just about every product known to man these days so your broad "they want it now" statement is true for people wandering around the convenient store for sure...but there is still a huge market for jerky online. It's indisputable.

Furthermore...

a. The IRS looks at home businesses that never make an attempt to profit and exist purely for the purpose of the tax write off. The tax write off is an excellent incentive to try a home business until you are in profit. Open your eyes...many people are in profit with Jerky Direct.

b. The jerky from Jerky Direct is delivered right to your door and there's value in that...if you cannot comprehend the concept of convenience having value...then such a debate is pointless.

And you know what? I have been getting mine for FREE for months now because my Jerky Direct business is in profit. I have customers in my organization that like their product delivered right to their door aka your "they want it now" statement. In fact, Milton Hurley from West Virginia has several hundred people that buy jerky every month from Jerky Direct so apparently there are some people you just don't "buy it now".

And c'mon...cut out the scam bombs. Really? 1/2 pound of jerky and a sales site for $13.97 per month? You think that's a big rip off or a scam?

I've come to find that people who are mis-informed and under-educated about direct selling tend to throw the scam bomb all over the place in lieu of taking the time out to learn and find out what are scams and what are not so they just label everything they don't understand a scam.

Are there many multi-level scams out there? Of course... Are they all scams? Of course not.

Do your homework before throwing the scam bombs around as well as making broad statements such as "People buying jerky do not think about ordering off the internet, they want it now". You are simply wrong on both accounts.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, it must be a duck. You may not consider this a scam. But??????

I doubt very much that under audit the home office aspect of this business would stand up. After looking at many of the web sites after doing a search, they are promoting the aspect of setting up new people selling rather than selling the product of itself. So what are we buying for the low monthly fee? Are we buying jerky or are we buying the store front? If you say the jerky, than the monthly fee is not deductible as a business expense. If you say the store front, then it is a pyramid scheme.

All of the web sites that I looked at were promoting the store front more than the jerky itself. This type of set up that you are promoting cannot make money for everyone that signs up for it as the the last ones in line will have no one to sell to. Anytime that you have a sales set up where everyone, even if it is only limited to seven people deep, gets a commission on some of the sales, it is a pyramid scheme. The only ones that ever make money on these things are the ones that set them up and the first few in. For the ones that come in later, the dollars are never there. As far as the home based business for the tax deductions are, there is no legitimate basis as there is no work involved, looks like everything is done at the home office.

After many years in retail business, a few years in the auditing and tax business, it is my humble opine that it is a duck.

simpleplan

Dear RedDogTwo,

Please define more clearly a "pyramid scheme".

And, I'd like to opine on this statement.

RE: The only ones that ever make money on these things are the ones that set them up and the first few in. For the ones that come in later, the dollars are never there.

Do you have experience in direct marketing?

There seems to be a trend in this forumsforums thing that folks like to make these broad and implicit statements etc. i.e. ""the only ones" and "the ones that come in later, the dollars are never there."

Only? Never? Really?

The above statement is not entirely true and is based upon which company you are talking about. Are the first ones in usually the most profitable?

Absolutely I agree with that...because there is such a thing as an early movers advantage. But the dollars are indeed there for industrious and skilled marketers no matter when they get in. It happens all the time.

Also...I like this statement "This type of set up that you are promoting cannot make money for everyone"...

Where in the heck can everyone make money because they signed up for something? When you find that - PLEASE let me know about it!

With that being said...you are right that 97% of people that get into network marketing will not make any money. Not necessarily because the business model is illegal or entirely flawed. Instead, it is indeed a business of marketing that people with big wishes and no marketing experience enter into and get slaughtered. I've said it before...only the strong survive and this same principle is prevalent many places where profits are tied to the amount of effort put forth.

Many extraordinary incomes come from extraordinary efforts no matter what business is in play. Direct marketing is no exception.

What is bad about network or direct marketing (I think you refer to it a "pyramid scheme") is the many peddlers that promote to the masses that "it's easy, anyone can do it, the system does most of the work, it's not selling" and the list goes on. Yes, these liars and shady operators give the industry a bad name and draws the attention of those that love to call it all a scam and "one of them there pyramid schemes".

I'm not here to defend it one way of the other but only to give the other side of the story. It's easy to call everything a scam or pyramid scheme but the legality of network marketing has long since been settled.

As far as the tax aspect of it...it all comes down to integrity, an intent to profit and impeccable and legitimate record keeping.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Quote:

=== Reply ===
Ya, great post...just wrong.

A self appointed home business expert because you sold some jerky in stores? I'm sorry...I'm not biting (no pun intended). You make some valid points but please read on...

To broadly say that "people want their jerky now" is very narrow minded and perhaps a little behind the times. In fact, it's just plain wrong. Can you say Ebay?

How many people are moving jerky on Ebay? Just go there and type "jerky" and you'll see a few results. Like 591 when I last checked!

And, do you know how much this company's (Luther's Jerky) business went up and continues to go up because they went online?

They at one time sold 90% of their jerky mail order only and the rest of their market was local. Since going online their business has grown tremendously and now almost 100% of their business is online. I've spoken with their sales representatives and they struggled to keep up right after going online. They have had to expand their operations big time.

I buy this jerky (in addition to my monthly shipment of Jerky Direct jerky) because it is all natural (no preservatives) and so do many other happy customers. It's much, much better than any store bought jerky including Tillamook's and well worth the wait.

Here is their website: www.JerkyUSA.com (There is no home business aspect to it and when you add shipping it's as expensive as Jerky Direct). So depending upon what you're comparing to Jerky Direct is competitive even with the online sales site and back office.

There are niche markets (in stores, online, etc.) for just about every product known to man these days so your broad "they want it now" statement is true for people wandering around the convenient store for sure...but there is still a huge market for jerky online. It's indisputable.

Furthermore...

a. The IRS looks at home businesses that never make an attempt to profit and exist purely for the purpose of the tax write off. The tax write off is an excellent incentive to try a home business until you are in profit. Open your eyes...many people are in profit with Jerky Direct.

b. The jerky from Jerky Direct is delivered right to your door and there's value in that...if you cannot comprehend the concept of convenience having value...then such a debate is pointless.

And you know what? I have been getting mine for FREE for months now because my Jerky Direct business is in profit. I have customers in my organization that like their product delivered right to their door aka your "they want it now" statement. In fact, Milton Hurley from West Virginia has several hundred people that buy jerky every month from Jerky Direct so apparently there are some people you just don't "buy it now".

And c'mon...cut out the scam bombs. Really? 1/2 pound of jerky and a sales site for $13.97 per month? You think that's a big rip off or a scam?

I've come to find that people who are mis-informed and under-educated about direct selling tend to throw the scam bomb all over the place in lieu of taking the time out to learn and find out what are scams and what are not so they just label everything they don't understand a scam.

Are there many multi-level scams out there? Of course... Are they all scams? Of course not.

Do your homework before throwing the scam bombs around as well as making broad statements such as "People buying jerky do not think about ordering off the internet, they want it now". You are simply wrong on both accounts.

Simpleplan you may consider me ignorant about sales and that I do not know anything about jerky. That is the reason I had contractual store sales agreements with Kroger Corp, Walmart and other large chain stores for many of their stores. We did sell many different brands of jerky from Jack Links to Tillamook. We were selling and servicing various products lines to retail stores in more than ten states. My company received and sold an average of about 10 pallet loads of jerky per week from Tillamook alone. This equates to 1000's of cases of jerky in a year and not 2 or 3 packages a week.

We are not blind sheep here on FF. Many of us are very successful in conventional business practices and have no use for people out to promote themselves at our expense. It will not work. Your $13.97 a month is a waste to people that are productive and have real business talent. So if you disagree that is fine, but do not try to mislead people that can teach you about real business and how to make a dollar

And by the way that is the reason I was able to retire at 51 years of age. I hope your ebay sales will allow you the same if you wish...
Good Luck....Bill

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dont u see its FREEWEBS!!!?? Come on!

Yeah but it's your site/program that you are promoting. It appears that you are trying to promote some form of elaborate pyramid scheme.

Please realise that we do not allow advertising or soliciting on this site and will ban you pretty quickly if you continue to make posts like your previous one in this thread.