• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Alternator help

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
I would like to increase the size of my altenator from the stock one on my 300cid ford (Thiokol 1977 1202 ) to possible and 80 amp with and internal regulator. Can amyone out there tell my the number of one that will mount up and how to wire it

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Go to your local auto parts store (that employs people who know what they are doing) and explain what you are looking for.

They will be able to find you a "one wire" GM alternator. They were available up to 120 amp on some of the diesel trucks (mid 80's). Very easy to wire. Ignition, battery and ground.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there is an easy plug and play solution and that is a large frame motor craft alternator it will pump out 90 amps and plug into your harness and use the same regulator you will have ro change your charge wire to a larger gauge like 8 gauge there are also some single wire delco style alternators out there i'm not to impressed with them the motor craft alternators were used on v-8 motors from 74 to 80 something on police packages and a/c equiped motors lincons ltd's and such. they used a doubble belt pulley i've made them work with only one belt but if they get the slightest bit loose they will squeal.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Not to sound "Off", but why do you need that much more amps? Are you planning on putting a large amount of lights on it?

On my Imp, I did change out the old driving headlights with the newer Halgon bulbs and that increased my lights reach three fold. I still only made about ten miles an hour down the trail, so going so fast I would outrun the lights and run over a moose really wasn't an issue. I had two heaters, rear tail lights (installed them since there weren't any) and a backup light and one rotating beacon. Never had any battery charging issues with everything online. Didn't really drive a lot at night if possible, but we had a 40 mile run each way to the cabin and did so a couple of time at night.

spoolvalve

Its good to upgrade- never can tell when one might need to charge up a battery bank at a remote site. yea looking to pull out the old stuff and up grade the charge system..Del --- "a man got's to know his limits" clint

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks all for the feed back the reason for the upgread is I bought a electric over hydraulic steering situp from Boggie last year an just now installing it he tells me that with the amps that te pump pulls that running long distences it mite pull the battery down so if I am going to change the alternater I would like to get ride of the old regulator at the same time

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Thanks all for the feed back the reason for the upgread is I bought a electric over hydraulic steering situp from Boggie last year an just now installing it he tells me that with the amps that te pump pulls that running long distences it mite pull the battery down so if I am going to change the alternater I would like to get ride of the old regulator at the same time

Normally the electric over Hydraulic systems don't draw a lot of amps, if you look at the wiring, it is a small gauge and operates micro valves that allow the main energy from the Hydraulic pump to operate the spools from the hydraulic system.

But having a bigger Alt. isn't a bad thing either, room may be your enemy down in the engine compartment though.

Good Luck, post photos!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i can't see it is going to draw more than 60 amps but the old style alternators won't put out that much motorola used to make a low cut in ag type alternator in a delcotron frame most of the new alternators for computer car's also have a low cut in alternator.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Search "alternator upgrade" in these forums. GM used Delco SI10 fits in with only slight modifications.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Not to sound "Off", but why do you need that much more amps? Are you planning on putting a large amount of lights on it?

On my Imp, I did change out the old driving headlights with the newer Halgon bulbs and that increased my lights reach three fold. I still only made about ten miles an hour down the trail, so going so fast I would outrun the lights and run over a moose really wasn't an issue. I had two heaters, rear tail lights (installed them since there weren't any) and a backup light and one rotating beacon. Never had any battery charging issues with everything online. Didn't really drive a lot at night if possible, but we had a 40 mile run each way to the cabin and did so a couple of time at night.

The electric motor that runs the hydraulic pump will draw 80amps only mometarly but there are other items requiring power also so with a lot of turning it can run the battery down without a bigger alt.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would like to increase the size of my altenator from the stock one on my 300cid ford (Thiokol 1977 1202 ) to possible and 80 amp with and internal regulator. Can amyone out there tell my the number of one that will mount up and how to wire it

Larry there is a 100amp 1 wire alt out there I think Summit racing has it google summit racing

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
The electric motor that runs the hydraulic pump will draw 80amps only mometarly but there are other items requiring power also so with a lot of turning it can run the battery down without a bigger alt.

Oh, that makes sense then if he is using a electric Hydraulic driven pump. I was thinking that he was running it off the engine like a power steering pump....