• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Modern cloth covered wire?

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
What are you guys using to rewire your vintage Tucker’s? Does anyone make a modern vinyl covered wire that looks like the vintage cloth covered wire?

PJL

A quick Google search turned several suppliers of vintage looking wire for the automotive use. Restorers, hot rodders etc.

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
A quick Google search turned several suppliers of vintage looking wire for the automotive use. Restorers, hot rodders etc.

PJL - of course I did a quick google search before I reached out for help. I found a ton of people that sell vintage style cloth covered wire - but that’s not exactly what I’m looking for.

I was asking if anyone made a product that had the performance of vinyl wrapped wire that actually looked like the old cloth covered stuff (that apparently doesn’t stand the test of time).

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
What are you guys using to rewire your vintage Tucker’s? Does anyone make a modern vinyl covered wire that looks like the vintage cloth covered wire?

I'm not sure if they, or anyone else, offer exactly what you're looking for, but I buy wire from Rhode Island Wiring Service: www.riwire.com

I have found them to have a pretty good selection of what I need and they will cut and sell wire by the foot (there are reasonable minimum lengths). As a small customer who really doesn't buy much, I have found their customer service to be excellent. I have also reached out to Lectric Limited and Painless Wiring and found their customer service to be sorely lacking.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not sure if they, or anyone else, offer exactly what you're looking for, but I buy wire from Rhode Island Wiring Service: www.riwire.com

I have found them to have a pretty good selection of what I need and they will cut and sell wire by the foot (there are reasonable minimum lengths). As a small customer who really doesn't buy much, I have found their customer service to be excellent. I have also reached out to Lectric Limited and Painless Wiring and found their customer service to be sorely lacking.

Rhode Island wiring is a great source for complete wire looms, just bought complete wiring for both the 33 and 34 Lincolns, they and restoration supply buy from the same supplier for materials

good luck rrose

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Rhode Island wiring is a great source for complete wire looms, just bought complete wiring for both the 33 and 34 Lincolns, they and restoration supply buy from the same supplier for materials

good luck rrose

PP,

You can buy wire by the foot in various coverings, in various wire gauges, and in many colors with tons of options as far as stripe (more correctly called "tracer") colors and patterns.

One caution though is they usually are out of some combinations. Here's a link to the wire (only) page: https://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/sup/pages/wire.htm

Rgp

For my 1958 442, I made a completely new wiring harness using modern, vintages style, cloth covered wire from ‘ton.performance’ on e-bay. They offered several colors and gauges that allowed me to match what I found on the cat. I used asphalt covered wire loom from ‘ditch612’, also I purchased On eBay, for the wire bundling going through firewall and on the engine bay wiring to the generator, lights etc. To wrap up the cover junctions, I used Tess Coroplast cloth tape sold by ‘jennjro0’ (eBay). I drew up a wiring diagram to use - I need to update that with the ‘as-built’ before I post it. Ron