• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

what is this spoon thing?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I found it in some old cooking stuff of my mothers.
the end spoon shaped spins like a pizza cutter. I have no idea what it is for. the long handle flexes .
I guessing it has something to do with a pie crust.
DSC01023.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe it is used to make what we kids used to call Grandma's suspender pies. Fruit pies with a lattice crust topping.

It could also be used to make specula, a German noodle dish

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Notice how the shaft is made of spring steel and very 'boing-y' and when you wack something with it, it's a good, solid Wack.

My father used one of them to smash ice cubes for cocktails every day for as long as I knew him. You don't want to miss and wack your thumb joint.

Maybe ice cube wacking was not it's original purpose but I can't figure out what it has to do with pies ??!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Franc is correct.
It does look like some sort of pastry cutter.
Looks similar to this too, but what would a garden tool be doing in the kitchen?

20191217_080235.jpg

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Seriously ! :)
Here is a more modern version. Screenshot of e bay ad.

Attachments

• icewacker.jpg
    icewacker.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 161

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the end rotates but hard like it is not suppose to . it has been in a drawer with pastry stuff for years. I see no wear marks on it from use. about 8 inches long. the flat spring steel handle isn't strong. pressing down holding on to the handle end it wouldn't go far into a firm butter cube. a couple dents on the spoon end like it isn't suppose to rotate.
DSC01027.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01025.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
the end rotates but hard like it is not suppose to . it has been in a drawer with pastry stuff for years. I see no wear marks on it from use. about 8 inches long. the flat spring steel handle isn't strong. pressing down holding on to the handle end it wouldn't go far into a firm butter cube.
DSC01027.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01025.jpg

Scroll through the pictures in the link I posted Jim.
It's the same exact thing like you have.
Pixie was spot on.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay. Not for piecrust. But why would you need an Ice Cracker when a spoon would do the same thing.

Only in America:clap: