• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

OC-12 differential markings

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Does anyone know what the 4 digit number means that is stamped above the casting # on the oc-12 rearends? :confused2:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
PM snowcat pat. When he gets on he will see the pm. He doesnt post allot and may miss this question. I bet he will know.

Snowcat Pat

I spent some time reviewing rebuild photos and I don't know what that number is but it for certain isn't a date, I have one photo that the number is 1955. I believe it to be a serial number. On old machines the number is smaller and on newer machines its larger. Thats my only clue.
-Pat

mkntrakes

Are you talking about the had stamped # ? If so this is the width of the housing this # is used to set up the differential the drop boxes also have a hand stamp # and are used in the formula to establish proper shimming of carrier unit

Snowcat Pat

For the sake of clarity here are two pics of the back of a OC-12 case. The four digit number Thiokol2track asked about (top) and the case width number mkntrakes mentioned (bottom). Pages 4-18 and 4-19 in the manual explain the purpose of the case width numbers.
-Pat

Attachments

• OC-12 case serial #.jpg
    OC-12 case serial #.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 337
  • OC-12 case width #.jpg
    OC-12 case width #.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 333