• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Selling cars to Canucks - a biz idea.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Read this story:
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=03dd4bdd-269f-4215-bdff-c09a6006781b&k=80180
Cross at the border: Canadian shoppers steamed

Deborah Tetley , CanWest News Service

Published: Sunday, October 21, 2007
CALGARY -- Canadan shoppers bargain hunting south of the border for big-ticket items are seeing a growing number of roadblocks erected in front of them.
As the rising loonie makes shopping in America cheaper by the day, some dealers have been ordered not to do business with Canadians.
Calgary's Carla Abraham wasn't going to take no for an answer when she went shopping for a Honda minivan that was thousands cheaper in Montana. She got in just under the wire before Honda ordered sales to Canadians be shut down.

"If we were talking a $1,000 or $2,000 difference this would not be an issue," Abraham said. "But we're talking more than $9,000. Sorry, I am not that patriotic."
Canadian buyers aren't the only ones frustrated.
Ben Eisinger, owner of Eisinger Honda in Kalispell, Mont., says his manufacturer's abrupt decision last week to prohibit cross-border new-vehicle sales to Canadians will cost him tens of thousands of dollars.
"Honda has forgotten the most important element in all of this and that's the customer," said Eisinger, who says he has more than two dozen vehicles languishing on his lot ordered for Canadian buyers, mainly from Alberta.
But it's not only vehicle sales causing a stir.
It's also becoming increasingly difficult for shoppers north of the border to buy snowmobiles, watercraft and ATVs in the U.S.
Quebec-based Bombardier Recreational Products came under fire last week for its regional distribution policy prohibiting American dealers from selling their lower-priced products to Canadians.
In some cases the price difference is 40 per cent.
"It's turned into a very touchy situation for us," said Dean Lingelbach, owner of One-Way Marine and Motor Sports in Helena, Mont. who sells BRP vehicles.
"The prices for Canadians are outrageous, when you look at ours, but I understand the manufacturer not wanting to cut the throats of their dealers up north."
Indeed, protecting the interests of Canadian dealers who could lose customers to American dealers selling the same equipment is part of the motive behind BRP's move, officials say.
But Pierre Pichette, vice-president of communications and public affairs at BRP, said the policy is not meant as a slight against Canadians.
"We understand the frustrations and we want to be fair," said Pichette, adding the company is reviewing its policy.
"But we need to make sure we make the right move so we don't create a lot of turbulence for the market."
Consumers' Association of Canada president Bruce Cran noted the irony of Bombardier refusing sales to Canadians.
"Do they think we are a bunch of dupes that we are putting up with this stuff?" said Cran.
"Bombardier has been subsidized by Canadian taxpayers over a great many decades and now they will sell to Americans -- and only Americans -- for 40 per cent less? That's the reward we get?"
dtetley@theherald.canwest.com
Calgary Herald

© CanWest News Service 2007

So what would be the downsides of opening a brokering business that purchased new cars and then re-sold them to Canadians? I'm thinking a $1000 commission would be fair considering the potential price difference is now up to $9000.

There are certainly some logistical issues but I think as long as the Canadians were willing to pay cash up front and deal with the border/customs issues then there should be no issue. Essentially it is just a "private sale" in US territory.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It does sound like there is some potential there. I wonder what the canuks would have to go through to register a vehicle with US papers. Would you as a business have to pay taxes on it before you sold it to a canuk? That would sure eat into your profits or erode the margin advantage you had. And if the margin is not enough the canuks won't go through the extra aggravation.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I would assume you would make the Canadian pay the full price plus any state taxes (and there are states where there are no state sales taxes). Then you would only have pay income tax on the profit.

The Canadians will have to pay their GST/PST at the border but that is not the American's problem.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's kind of funny. I had to buy the Honda minivan from Canada (because there were none within several hundred miles around here to buy). Now it's the other way around.
It was imported from Canada to a NY dealer. I'm a PA resident and went to NY to buy it. There was a certain amount of border paperwork but it wasn't bad.