• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The iPhone

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
They defrauded me when they told me the damn thing actually worked!! I want 2 million....pricks! Nothing like solving that R&D cash flow problem by letting the public be paying beta testers, huh?

BoneheadNW

Dargo, a guy at work has an iphone. I told him about your problems and he said that his has worked fine from the beginning. No activation problems, never needed to call tech service, etc. He even gave me a demo. The thing works great. We even watched an episode of Gigantor on the thing!
Bonehead

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Brent,

You may not be alone in your activation issues.

Check out this story.

"iPhone Mystery: 1.4 Million Sold, 250,000 Never Activated"

I wonder if those 250K phone owners are still trying to get it activated...

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't recall if this is the 4th or the 5th phone I'm on. :confused: Either way, it seems to be working for now, but at times seems for "forget" specific ringtones for people. Apple says they are aware of that issue but don't know how to fix it because they don't know why it happens. :smileywac

I turned my sister loose on them with their shit activation issue. She is a partner in the largest law firm in one of our country's largest cities. I just had her send Apple a "Nastygram" about their obviously flawed activation process. In less than less than 48 hours they sent back a boilerplate standard reply letter admitting their activation process suffers from "certain issues" and offered specific compensations I can't mention. Honestly, I wasn't fishing for more from Apple; I just want them to completely dump their dumbass activation process that is FUBAR! Plain and simple; it does not work. I do not understand why they continue with it. They are in the tens of thousands of complaints with this single matter. What in the hell is their problem with not just scrapping this bad idea that doesn't work? Was it Steve Job's wife's idea or something??

The rest can be worked around or fixed easy enough, but this screwed up activation process that causes constant problems is a pure cluster fk. As I said, it's beyond me why Apple insists on staying with a process that is about as useful as having your nose surgically moved to the bottom of your foot.

dzalphakilo

Banned
The phone issues may be the least of their problems.

My wife works in the telecommunications industry and mentioned to me the other day that apparently Apple and AT&T may be facing some anti trust laws from the federal goverment. Apparently since AT&T is the only carrier for the i-phone, this is bringing up some issues that the goverment is currently looking into.

The rules and regulations set forth by the federal goverment for the telecommunications industry could blow your mind.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe in a month or three when they drop the prices and get the bugs worked out. It's starting to look like a nice toy ... er ... tool! Besides, I can expense it as a business expense! ;)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe I'd consider one if they were FREE with a 1 month contract with AT&T.

Apple-crap. :beatdeadhorse5:

I agree - I hate the company Apple they are no better than Microsoft and in many ways worse but get treated like they are golden.

I wish they didn't make such nice hardware it would be easier to ignore them. :neutral:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree - I hate the company Apple they are no better than Microsoft and in many ways worse but get treated like they are golden.

I wish they didn't make such nice hardware it would be easier to ignore them. :neutral:

I agree with your assesment PB. I'm not a fan of apple but I bought an iPhone last xmas; and I have to admit I'd do it again. It is the best interface for a cell phone I've ever used, plus it has all the other extras (iPod, nice camera, weather, internet, email and more) I love the touch screen. They got it right and I appreciate it.
The new ones are 1/2 the price (199) but you have to pay 10 bucks more a month for the data connection. So in the long run these new ones are more expensive.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like Apple is having a little trouble.

Software problems bug Apple's launch of new iPhone

By PETER SVENSSON, AP Technology WriterSat Jul 12, 1:30 AM ET

The launch of Apple Inc.'s much-anticipated new iPhone turned into an information-technology meltdown on Friday, as customers were unable to get their phones working.

"It's such grief and aggravation," said Frederick Smalls, an insurance broker in Whitman, Mass., after spending two hours on the phone with Apple and AT&T Inc., trying to get his new iPhone to work.

In stores, people waited at counters to get the phones activated, as lines built behind them. Many of the customers had already camped out for several hours in line to become among the first with the new phone, which updates the one launched a year ago by speeding up Internet access and adding a navigation chip.

A spokesman for AT&T, the exclusive carrier for the iPhone in the U.S., said there was a global problem with Apple's iTunes servers that prevented the phones from being fully activated in-store, as had been planned.

Instead, employees are telling buyers to go home and perform the last step by connecting their phones to their own computers, spokesman Michael Coe said.

However, the iTunes servers were equally hard to reach from home, leaving the phones unusable except for emergency calls.

The problem extended to owners of the previous iPhone model. A software update released for that phone on Friday morning required the phone to be reactivated through iTunes.

"It's a mess," said freelance photographer Giovanni Cipriano, who updated his first-generation iPhone only to find it unusable.

Apple shares fell $4.05, or 2.3 percent, to close Friday at $172.58 amid a general decline in U.S. stocks.

When the first iPhone went on sale a year ago, customers performed the whole activation procedure at home, freeing store employees to focus on sales. But the new model is subsidized by carriers, and Apple and AT&T therefore planned to activate all phones in-store to get customers on a contract.

The new phone went on sale in 21 countries on Friday, creating a global burden on the iTunes servers.

The iPhone has been widely lauded for its ease of use and rich features, but Apple is a newcomer to the cell-phone business, and it's made some missteps. When it launched the first phone in the U.S. a year ago, it initially priced the phones high, at $499 and $599, then cut the price by $200 just 10 weeks later, throwing early buyers for a loop.

Rollouts to other countries were slow, as Apple tried to get carriers on board with its unusual pricing scheme, which included monthly fees to Apple. The business model of the new phone follows industry norms, and the price is lower: $199 or $299 in the U.S.

On Thursday, Apple had problems with the launch of a new data service, MobileMe. The service is designed to synchronize a users personal data across devices, including the iPhone, but many users were denied access to their accounts.

Enthusiasm was high ahead of the Friday morning launch of the new phone.

Alex Cavallo, 24, was one of hundreds lined up at the Fifth Avenue store, just as he had been a year ago for the original iPhone. He sold that one recently on eBay in anticipation of the new one. In the meantime, he has been using another phone, which felt "uncomfortable."

"The iPhone is just a superior user experience," he said. The phone also proved a decent investment for him: He bought the old model for $599 and sold it for $570.

Nick Epperson, a 24-year-old grad student, spent the night outside an AT&T store in Atlanta, keeping his cheer up with bags of Doritos, three games of Scrabble and two packs of cigarettes. Asked why he was waiting in line, he responded simply "Chicks dig the iPhone."

IPhone fever was strong even in Japan, where consumers are used to tech-heavy phones that do restaurant searches, e-mail, music downloads, reading digital novels and electronic shopping. More than 1,000 people lined up at the Softbank Corp. store in Tokyo and the phone quickly sold out.

"Just look at this obviously innovative design," Yuki Kurita, 23, said as he emerged from buying his iPhone, carrying bags of clothing and a skateboard he had used as a chair during his wait outside the Tokyo store. "I am so thrilled just thinking about how I get to touch this."

The phone went on sale first in New Zealand, where hundreds of people lined up outside stores to snap it up right at midnight — 8 a.m. Thursday in New York.

"Steve Jobs knows what people want," Web developer Lucinda McCullough told the Christchurch Press newspaper, referring to Apple's chief executive. "And I need a new phone."

In Germany, sales were brisk at local carrier T-Mobile's stores, particularly in Munich, Hamburg and Cologne, said spokeswoman Marion Kessing.
___
AP Business Writers George Frey in Frankfurt, Germany, Yuri Kageyama in Tokyo and Greg Bluestein in Atlanta contributed to this report.