• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Modifying a Ballast Box to carry tools

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use a ballast box and currently have a couple pieces of PVC pipe inserted into it so I can carry long handle tools. Around the pipe is sand and rocks. I'm thinking that I can get a little more weight by taking out the loose sand/rock and pouring in concrete.

But I'd like to also figure out a better way to carry more tools when I change things around. It is easy enough to carry a long handle tool like a rake because the handle is just a straight stick, but I'd like to also carry around things that have "D" handles on them like a short digging spade. Also it might be nice to carry around a chain saw, pole saw, and other power equipment. I don't like to carry them in the front bucket because I always seem to find something that I must dig up and carry with the bucket.

I was thinking of inserting some angle iron vertically so it sticks up above the top of the ballast box, then I could weld some brackets onto it for carrying tools horizontally?

Anyone else have ideas on how to make a ballast box into a multi-function tool?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

First, if you're interested quick take a look at a "Kolpin Tool Press". They're normally about $60-70 but there's some on e-bay for $9.99 (but the auction ends in about 9 hours). These are great for holding tools horizontally or vertically.

OK, now that's done, is it necessary that the ballast box also be your tool carrier?

I made a box awhile back for hauling tools. I started with a pallet and built a toolbox on top of it. I then use a pallet carrier for hauling it around. It's about 3' cube. The bottom 18" (or so) has doors that flip up on the sides. In this area, I store chainsaws, gas cans, chains... The upper 18" has compartments with top opening lids. Smaller stuff goes in these (gloves, straps...) On the outside of this box, I put some of those hooks you commonly see for hanging bicycles and "stuff". I then put my long handled tools on these. I can take pics if you're interested.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, here's some pics. Pardon the mess but it's sitting in my "stuff" building which doesn't seem to stay clean.

First pic is with everything buttoned up. As pictured, the side to the right goes towards the tractor. It's carried via a pallet-carrier or forks.

Second pic is with the near side upper and lower compartment doors opened. The dirty rubber mat in the bottom is for traction as well as to make cleaning easier (as this is where chainsaws, gas, oil... go)

Third pic is looking down into the upper storage compartments

Fourth pic is looking at the back (away from the tractor). This is where I hang tools.

I secure it to the pallet carrier via a ratchet strap that goes all the way around, approx. 1' down from the top (so it's out of the way of all doors opening.

Attachments

• CIMG0504.JPG
    CIMG0504.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 58
  • CIMG0501.JPG
    CIMG0501.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 55
  • CIMG0502.JPG
    CIMG0502.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 55
  • CIMG0503.JPG
    CIMG0503.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 56

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PS. I don't use this thing since I got the RTV.

Anyone want/need a nice tool carrier?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not from me since I already have the ballast box, but it did give me a couple ideas that I think I may try to incorporate into my ballast box project (as soon as I can get rid of these damn crutches which may be another month or more into the future!)