• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Windows 10 who's in??

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes I know I have a touchscreen and have been using one for years.
The damn arrow pops up for no reason, sticks around for as long as it wants, then goes away all by itself. Even after downloading the 128 updates.
And I still can't find how to change or disable two finger commands from the touchpad.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes I know I have a touchscreen and have been using one for years.
The damn arrow pops up for no reason, sticks around for as long as it wants, then goes away all by itself. Even after downloading the 128 updates.
And I still can't find how to change or disable two finger commands from the touchpad.

I don't think you are going to be able to remove the two finger commands without disabling the touch screen. The only two finger command I have is the zoom feature, and it has its uses.

I don't have an arrow pointing to the side of the screen. I don't think I have ever had that. If it is a W8 window, you should be able to remove it or remove it as a pop up.. It is also possible that it is a function of the browser.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just got the windows 10 pop up at the bottom of my browser saying that I can reserve it. What the heck. It's free and can't be any worse than 8 so I reserved the free full version copy when it becomes available after the 29th.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Windows 10's Solitaire "suite" comes with advertising.

The more I see of this 10 the less I like it.

Oh well there are Freeware sites to get free Solitaire.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Doing the update now. We'll see how it is. I had 8. 1 and didn't really have any problems with it but didn't exactly like it. We'll see how 10 is.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
They recommend that you burn a copy of your Windows 7 1st so you can go back. To late now I guess.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't have 7 though. Personally I hate 7 with its 171 updates every time I looked at my old laptop. It spent 3/4's of its life either frozen or doing updates. This laptop came with 8. I upgraded to 8.1 and didn't really have any problems with it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
First glance at 10 is that it appears to run fairly smoothly. I like that I don't have to keep flipping back and forth between the app screen and the old windows 7 style screen. We shall see how it performs over time. This browser is more similar to 7 than 8. Hopefully there aren't all the updates that kept coming with 7 every time I turned on.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For Win 7 (or 10), just turn the updates off if you don't want them to happen automatically.

When I allowed the auto updates, bad things would happen to my computer.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
For Win 7 (or 10), just turn the updates off if you don't want them to happen automatically.

When I allowed the auto updates, bad things would happen to my computer.

No kidding. Windows Updates Installer Worker would hog my CPU and send my cooling fan into overdrive. Without auto updates, Windows Defender will still prompt you for updating the antivirus and you can check for Windows updates every few weeks or so.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
win10 blue.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently, not if they can help it. :yum:
I switched over from 8. 1. So far, I prefer 10. It's more like 7 used to be with modern features added.

8 & 8.1 were Microsoft's failed attempt to copy Apple and android systems on tablets. So they kept the stuff that worked with those systems and integrated it back into the Windows 7 system.

I couldn't see professional businesses switching to 8 & 8.1 as those systems appeared to cater more to 5 year olds. I can see 10 being implemented in businesses and offices more easily since its more of a step sideways from 7 with modern user friendly features added.

Here's a screenshot of the homepage and menu.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Kane

I'm finally to the point I can navigate W8.1 like a tech savy thirteen year-old, so maybe I'll forgo going to W10. Save myself the regressive headache.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
If you can navigate 7, then 10 will be no problem. I still wasn't used to 8.1 after two years of running it.

Leni

My husband hates the computer. Basically the only time he uses it is when he's on the air. I'm not quite ready to listen to him bitch about windows 10.

K

kcvet

ill keep my desktop 7 my wife has 8.1 or 8.2 on her laptop and she hates it so tomorrow we'll do the 10 on her's

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have run my windows update, but I can't get 10 to load for some reason. My computer isn't that old, I run Vista on it now and have not have many problems, except when I stupidly open crap on Facebook.

I guess I'll stick to this system.

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I been running Ver 10 for quite some time with no problems,

Attachments

• Ver 10.jpg
    Ver 10.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 127

jwstewar

I have run my windows update, but I can't get 10 to load for some reason. My computer isn't that old, I run Vista on it now and have not have many problems, except when I stupidly open crap on Facebook.

I guess I'll stick to this system.

Vista does not qualify for the free upgrade to 10. You must be running 7 or 8.1. If you are running 8, you must upgrade to 8.1 first.

I haven't gotten notification on any of my "good" machines where I can download 10 to them yet even though I reserved it for all of them. Though I did download a full version of 10 and did a clean install on this machine. Not much installed on it, but all of the hardware is working and surfing use the new Edge browser seems to be working pretty well.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
What's a "Clean Install"? Sorry for being a dummy. Right now - like it or not - it says "Download in progress." Then "we'll let you know when you can start the upgrade;" (Hope I wrote that right.) So I don't know the difference between a "Download" and an "Upgrade." Yep I'm confused (as usual.) Maybe someone who has done it can help me?

K

kcvet

What's a "Clean Install"? Sorry for being a dummy. Right now - like it or not - it says "Download in progress." Then "we'll let you know when you can start the upgrade;" (Hope I wrote that right.) So I don't know the difference between a "Download" and an "Upgrade." Yep I'm confused (as usual.) Maybe someone who has done it can help me?

clean install means the Hard Drive is clean or free of any previous data. its wiped clean and ready for a new install

unless software is installed from a CD it has to be downloaded from a website. an upgrade in this case is an entirely new operating system. downloaded to a clean hard drive

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I guess I got Windows 10 whether I like it or not. It's Saturday here and it looked like I could only hold off until Monday to upgrade. If there is a way to postpone longer I would like to know.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Vista does not qualify for the free upgrade to 10. You must be running 7 or 8.1. If you are running 8, you must upgrade to 8.1 first.

Thanks Jim. That's good to know.
Way back when someone on this forum found out my new computer was running Vista, they asked me if I was going to install 7.
I wasn't worried about it then and I'm not worried about it now.

jwstewar

The more I'm playing around on the laptop with 10 on it, the more I'm really liking it. Everything just seems to "fit" and work.