• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How many emails do you delete without even opening?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, but I notice that I tend to deleted about 75% of the emails I get without even bothering to open them.

If someone I know (friend/relative) sends me an email and its obviously forwarded, I delete it. Don't open it. Don't look at it in the preview. Just DELETE it.

If someone I know (friend/relative) sends me a YouTube link, same thing happens. Straight to DELETE.

If a personal note/letter comes in, I actually read those.

This is not counting all the SPAM emails.

I'm amazed at the amount of forwarded emails, videos, stories, etc that I get. Often I get the same thing from 3 or 4 different people.

Anyone else?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at my mail as it stands right now:
"Unread e-mail (31244)"
"Unread from contacts (24912)"

Yea, I'd say I'm with you...

I do use the preview pane a lot though.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My OCD would prevent me from leaving them sit there. I have to DELETE them.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I'm in this group. I'd say its about 30% read. I delete all others.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 2 emails.

• One for ordering stuff, forums, etc.
  • One for serious correspondence.
80% of inbox #1 gets deleted. 99% of inbox #2 gets read.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I delete about 90% of mine without reading them. Many are duplications with different senders. Porter Stansberry being one of the worst.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at my mail as it stands right now:
"Unread e-mail (31244)"
"Unread from contacts (24912)"

Yea, I'd say I'm with you...

I do use the preview pane a lot though.

You might want to thin those out a little. Lot of email clients bog down or even lock up when you have too many messages built up.

Jim

Kane

You might want to thin those out a little. Lot of email clients bog down or even lock up when you have too many messages built up.

Jim
I wish it was so easy. Unfortunately, every email stays on your drive somewhere, no matter what you do with it. Nothing, nothing is ever deleted ... just moved to a trash can, still taking up space in the zither.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had 4 months worth of emails 90% unread. I keep a months worth and mass delete every few months. It simply took me to much time to delete daily or weekly so I let them build up to 10 or 12,000 emails and then zap em. I had over 12,000 at the beginning of this week. I now have 2500. Email is not the tool it used to be.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Gee, I fell so unaccepted. I have about a dozen a day I don't read. I doubt I get 60 a day total most days. I have pretty strong spam filters set and they catch most all spam. I download mine from the server and when I delete them they are GONE as fast as I run my 3 cleanup programs. I also wipe pretty regularly. I run cleanup probably 8-10 times a day.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, glad I'm not the only one who doesn't even bother to read 90% of their emails.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, glad I'm not the only one who doesn't even bother to read 90% of their emails.
I have to keep my business account unfiltered because much of my new business comes in through an email contact from our website.

Every morning I sit at my desk with a cup of coffee and hit delete,delete,delete, oh who might that be?, hmmm,,,,delete, delete

It's like looking for a diamond in a pile of poop.

Generally I mine one or two new contacts a week so it is worth it. But life was much simpler before when they used the business phone number.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys must be really nice, and not an asshole like me. :w00t2: I've got it down to only about 8-12 emails each day from two accounts. I managed to piss off enough people that they don't even spam me anymore. If it has Fwd in the title, it's shitcanned without looking at it. When I forward something to someone, I remove the "Fwd" so they know it's something that I feel is something they would be interested in...and THAT doesn't happen very often.

Keep being nice guys and you'll keep dealing with people shitting in your in box. Assholes have it easier.:yum::yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys must be really nice, and not an asshole like me. :w00t2:

Well honestly you got a point with this. I've got several folks that I simply don't want to offend that I get these emails from. Rather than upset them, I'd rather just hit the delete button.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Yep pretty much ALL You Tube links go in the Trash unopened and quite a few of the others as well. I have a woman who is an internet friend. Most of her mail is You Tube junk and the rest are mostly as bad they get usually get tossed as well.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I have at least eight e-Mail accounts. One of which is for my business (Computer Consultant). It is where I get most of my email (50 - 75 a day). That is after my spam filter takes off another hundred or so. If the ones that I get I keep the ten from customers / friends and delete the rest.

I am reluctant to make the spam filter any more selective as I don't want to loose ones from customers. I have my cell set to delete from the server when I delete there, so, when I check from the office, I only get business / friend e-Mail. I try to keep than indefinitely. The history has often come in handy.

Funny thing is, the other accounts do not get much e-Mail. Most all of what I get is at least from folks I know. Granted, some of it goes to trash.

Oh! BTW - I use Thunderbird for mail, which does not seem to care how much mail it has in it. Also it sort of bypasses scams that prey on outlook.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh! BTW - I use Thunderbird for mail, which does not seem to care how much mail it has in it. Also it sort of bypasses scams that prey on outlook.

Outlook is one of the biggest problems. The pst (email content storage file) tends to crash at about 250 megs. That's a lot of emails unless you have some large attachments. There's ways to split the file into groups or you can archive the older ones.

I use Eudora. It doesn't like more than 3k or so emails in one directory. Like Andy I keep all the emails from my business. I make a new directory each January to keep the size down and make it easier to find things. Eudora makes a new file for each directory.

Jim

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim - I've been thinking about the .PST files. Do you know what Windows Live Mail uses? Is it still a PST?

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim - I've been thinking about the .PST files. Do you know what Windows Live Mail uses? Is it still a PST?

I'm not sure but I think I've seen something about an individual file for each message.

Jim

Leni

You mean that if I send you guys some pictures of the ultimate man cave you'd delete them without looking? Let's test that. :brows:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You mean that if I send you guys some pictures of the ultimate man cave you'd delete them without looking? Let's test that. :brows:

YUP

Just today I deleted emails from my cousin, whom I consider a close friend. My uncle. One of the guys I hang around with at the cigar lounge. Didn't even open those.

I also deleted several from companies with which I do business, didn't open those emails either as they were, based on the title, obvious solicitations.

Plus I deleted obvious spam emails.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw the pics Leni (before reading this thread or knowing it was a 'test'). WOW :wow: some kewl ones for sure. :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc but Jim just sent it to me.

Pretty sweet stuff. I still like my man cave... Not as purdy but I still like it.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My OCD would prevent me from leaving them sit there. I have to DELETE them.

Yup. I delete about 75% or more emails just based on the subject line. I have a reasonably strong setting for spam with my ISP, so I literally have thousands that get screened out and I never even see them. Every 6 months or so I'll go to my ISP account and browse the deleted emails to see if I am screening out someone I do not want to. I'm always amazed at the volume of them in the "spam" folder that are never sent to me. Since I have no overseas friends I communicate with via email, all out of country emails are yanked before ever being sent to me. I'm amazed how many scam emails are caught that way. Literally several hundred every six months.

Each day I delete out all the unwanted emails (which I quickly determine via subject line and sender) and have my email program to mark them as "read" so I don't have a ton of bold emails in my deleted folder showing "unread".

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

I have Yahoo and Gmail email accounts I use when I am forced to enter an email when I do not want to. 100% of those go unread. It's amazing too, I bet I have a few thousand in each when I delete and then delete the 'trash' file every six months or so. Talk about 'spam magnet' accounts! LOL, I even have the most spam filters available turned on in those accounts too.