• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Time for a smartphone?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I consider it a big deal after 3 years I learned how to delete messages. It dials and that is all I need.:yum:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Oil

Some guys swear by Penzoil, some Rotella, some Mobil 1.

Whatever.

No engine ever seized because of the brand of oil used.

If you feel good about having an i infront of phone, go for it. If you feel good about being a droid, go with it.

Anything and iphone can do, a droid can do, and vice versa. There's an app for it somewhere. Simple.

As for costs, I can tell on first authority, whatever it is you want, you can get it for no money and a 2 year contract at an ATT store, depending on how convincing and focused you are.

And if you can get find a buddy that is with ATT, just mention his name, and you each get 25 bucks off your next bill.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Please note; I never claimed to know how to operate everything on my phone! :wink:

Me either.
I just got the iphone for a phone that could also hold and play music.
Later I used it for the internet also, but only once in awhile.
I just got back from Alabama yesterday, the phone came in handy for finding decent hotel prices via priceline. I could have used it for GPS but I prefer the one I can mount on the windshield as it's easier to read, but the capability is there.

Oil

Some guys swear by Penzoil, some Rotella, some Mobil 1.

Whatever.

No engine ever seized because of the brand of oil used.

If you feel good about having an i infront of phone, go for it. If you feel good about being a droid, go with it.

Anything and iphone can do, a droid can do, and vice versa. There's an app for it somewhere. Simple.

As for costs, I can tell on first authority, whatever it is you want, you can get it for no money and a 2 year contract at an ATT store, depending on how convincing and focused you are.

And if you can get find a buddy that is with ATT, just mention his name, and you each get 25 bucks off your next bill.

I have used both the droid and iphone and prefer the iphone interface. But the biggest thing that makes me go iphone over droid is size. iPhone is smaller and slimmer. Easier to carry, and I think it's easier to use. More intuitive to me.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
My Atrix is 1/4" thick.

As for GPS, when I set it in my window mount, it automatically turns into a great Google GPS. And I am amazed at the voice recognition when I speak my destination. Crazy how far tech has come. I do not know why anybody would spend money on a factory-installed GPS since "everybody" has a smartphone these days.

I know I'll use it next Saturday when some friends asked us to meet them at Don Quixote in Valparaiso for dinner.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I just up a new samsung galaxy s3. I had my sony ericsson xperia arc for a year an a half. It was an alright smart phone. I would have kept it longer but it started giving me problems. I love this new phone. Its lightning fast compared to my sony. The sony only had 380mb of internal memory. This thing has 16 gb.

jwstewar

We just got the S3 as well. Monica and I both got them on Wednesday. Sam's Club had them for $38.88 w/ 2 year contract. Yeah, I know, but we are happy with AT&T and really like the phone. I can use either Droid or Iphone (or Windows / Mac for that matter), but Monica can't stand an iPhone. We typically try to keep our phones the same, makes it easier to "ehlp" each other and the accessories and such. So the price made the S3 a no brainer. I know the 4 is out, but for the price, it sure was hard to beat this deal. I did take the 8GB card out of my old HTC and put in this one so now I have 24GB of storage. As soon as I find a larger microSD card I'm willing to pay for, it will have that in it.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We just got the S3 as well. Monica and I both got them on Wednesday. Sam's Club had them for $38.88 w/ 2 year contract. Yeah, I know, but we are happy with AT&T and really like the phone. I can use either Droid or Iphone (or Windows / Mac for that matter), but Monica can't stand an iPhone. We typically try to keep our phones the same, makes it easier to "ehlp" each other and the accessories and such. So the price made the S3 a no brainer. I know the 4 is out, but for the price, it sure was hard to beat this deal. I did take the 8GB card out of my old HTC and put in this one so now I have 24GB of storage. As soon as I find a larger microSD card I'm willing to pay for, it will have that in it.

Good choice for phones. Samsung makes nice stuff. I wanted the Samsung Note 2 but no way in God's green Earth would I ever pay 299 bucks for a phone or anywhere close to that. I'm not that kind of stupid. I like Apple stuff and have a Mac but the screens are way too small on an iphone. My eyes need a larger screen not smaller.

I got a email from BB yesterday about the S4. It did not sound like the phone was out yet as they were taking pre orders. I did not see a price but it will be right up there.

jwstewar

Well my Galaxy S3 lasted a long time. All of a week. It started last night when I left work. I had just charged it at work, but when I left I couldn't get it to turn on. I stopped at Rural King on the way home and took the battery out. Still didn't help. I got home took the battery out, memory card, and SIM Card. Reinserted. It started up, but the battery was lower than what it should have been since I just took it off charge before I left for work - 86%. I messed around last night and left it on charge. It was supposedly charged when I left for work this morning. I talk to my buddy for about 20 minutes on my way and I get to work and it is 18%. It tells me to charge it. I plug it in and it gets REALLY, REALLY, HOT and wouldn't take charge. Unplug it and restart a couple of times and it finally starts to charge and I get it back up to 15% (it had dropped to 2%). I take it to a meeting and I come back and plug it in again. It won't start at all. Guess there is an issue with these phones called Sudden Death Syndrome. Supposedly fixed in firmware 4.1.2, but mine only had 4.1.1 and it said it was up-to-date (I checked that when I first got it out of habit). Now it won't start, won't charge, it basically bricked itself. Guess I'm headed back to Sam's Club tonight.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I finally bit the bullet and got the Nokia Lumia 822. I went with a Windows Phone 8 OS so it would sync more smoothly with work network, xBox and home laptop. So much to learn! Anyone else have a Windows phone? Any suggestions for cool apps?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have a Windows phone but I'm going to assume you can get similar apps as a Droid.

Here's some that I like:
A flashlight.

ShopSavvy - You scan a barcode with your phone and it gives you pricing from both online and local stores. Handy when shopping and not sure if you're getting a deal.

Scanner Radio - Lets you scan police channels

Google Sky Map - Wherever you point your phone, it shows you the stars, planets... that you're looking at. (This one is fun).

WebMd - Quick medical look up.

Smart Compass - A decent compass.

The Weather Channel

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Zoomer! I got the flashlight app and it has a compass with it! I guess that's for geo-caching at night.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No MS for me either but weather apps are awesome. I prefer weather bug and accuweather both over the iPhone weather channel app. All of them have radar which give you a real good idea of whether or not you are going to get wet or not. Very handy.

Texting is something I avoided at first but the kids got me going on it. Now I much prefer texting to talking on the phone. For short messages texting cannot be beat. It is short and to the point with no BS.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of my favorite / useful apps is Kindle. I have it on my PC and on my iphone so I suspect there is an app for all smart phones. You can pick up reading wherever you left off on any different device, and you always have your books with you. You can adjust the font to whatever size you want making it very easy to read. Better than watching the tube while waiting in a doctors office for sure.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
One of my favorite / useful apps is Kindle. I have it on my PC and on my iphone so I suspect there is an app for all smart phones. You can pick up reading wherever you left off on any different device, and you always have your books with you. You can adjust the font to whatever size you want making it very easy to read. Better than watching the tube while waiting in a doctors office for sure.

A big 10-4 on that Doc. I have the Kindle, Nook and Google Books app on the tablet and the Droid. Great. All free and each one has it's own advantages. Personally I prefer Google but to each their own on that.

Ever since I caught the Black Death a few years ago from magazines at the doctors office I will not touch them ever again. :yum: So I hear you on that.