• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Husqvarnas bad customer service nightmare (for chainsaw)

dgh

Hey I came on here to do two things. first ask for help in dealing with husqvarna customer service and to warn people about it.
Back story
I got a husky chainsaw for my birthday to help me work on my first house. There are alot of dead trees that I need to take down some of which may fall on my house. With all the wind storms we are having right now this needs to be done asap!

now i don't know alot about chainsaws but I do know how to mix gas and adding bar oil is not hard. So I started to clean up my yard. I thought the chainsaw would make the work go alot faster but it didn't cut as fast as I thought it would. After a little bit of cutting I stopped to make sure everything was working and I saw the bar was really dry. again I do not know much about chainsaws but I thought that I should check the bar oil. When checked there was a full tank of it. So after a bit of reading I new something was wrong. I took it in to home hardware to have them look at it and right away the guy says wow your chain is on backwards are you trying to kill yourself the laughs at me..... I said that it couldn't be cause I had just got it. then he stopped laughing and said that I could have been hurt really bad. after checking over the saw and flipping the chain around the bar oiler was still not working. he said he didn't want to touch it anymore cause it looks like it has heat damage from the chain not being on the right way he also said thats why it was cutting so slow and that it might have messed up the bar oiler and to take it back to where I got it and get a new one. so I tried to take it back to candain tire and they said they can't deal with it and I had to call husqvarna customer service. I called and they said they would deal with this right away and that they would call back right away. They didn't so I called them then next day. they said they would get right back to me. its been a week of calling everyday and they have only called me back once to say they would be able to do anything till the next day. its been a week and a bit and they keep giving me the run around. Last time I called they gave me a number to call so I did it went to voice mail and I left a message and they have not called me back.

So what do you think I should do at this point? just keep calling? does anyone know a better way to deal with this?

and also remember that before you buy something make sure the people who make it back it up. I will never buy another thing from husqvarna ever again. In the span of this happening I had to get a leaf blower.... i payed more money to get a leaf blower from stihl because i know they back there stuff up!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
U would think if you went to a dealer who deals in Husky they would straighten things out pretty quick. I have not heard of any problems but then I never dealt with corporate. Any body who sold a saw with the chain on backwards is not much of a dealer. It should been filled, serviced and had some test cuts before it ever left the shop.

dgh

har har har...... really we are having another wind storm tonight and there are some trees that are dead and really close to my house. do you think i should just bit it and buy another chainsaw? i don't really have the money to but it would be alot cheaper then having a tree fall on my house :-(
this is my first house and i'm just trying to make it safe for me to live in.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry dgh, but it's hard to diagnose the problem without seeing the saw. I haven't had an oiler stop working but I suppose it's pssible that it's clogged. Me, I'd dig into it and find out what wrong, especally if you need it to work that bad. Otherwise I would take it to the palce that sold it to me and tell him to make it right. Not sure why everyone's giving you the run-a-round like this, I've generally had good luck with husky and the people that sell/service them.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is what insurance is for. Don't try to cut any trees while it is even breezy. Too many bad things happen that way and anything close enough to hit the house should have an experienced person dropping the trees.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Take the chain and bar off the saw and run it. If you don't get oil coming out of the slot then the problem is with the saw. If you have oil then the bar is wrong or was mounted wrong(unlikely) and blocking the oil flow. Does the hole in the bar line up with the oiler port?

dgh

they did all of that at Home Hardware did all of that. and he said i didn't want to open up the saw cause if he did they might not take it back. and i tried to take it back where i got it but they won't take it

i don't really have the money to pay some one to drop the tree. it will be easy to drop it the right way cause it is leanning away from the house and all the branches are pointing away from the house but when the wind blows it blows it towards the house

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
List the Husky on Kijijii/LesPac/your local classified and buy a Stihl . Huskys are sold by discounters like Canadian Tire and Lowes from whom you get zero support. Stihls are sold by dealers who will actually help you.

If you can't do that, put some oil in a squirt bottle of some kind and apply it as often as possible.

Wear chaps and a helmet.

Electric chainsaws are pretty good, too.

I have 4 Stihls and use them 3-4 days a week.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Pixie, not all husqvarnas are homeowner grade saws ,and not all stihl saws are pro grade,I own both brands. As far as dealers go in this area ,my husqvarna dealer is far and away better than my stihl dealer. The advice on PPE is very good !

Last edited:

spencerhenry

i have run plenty of both saws, i own 7 stihls. i do NOT like husky's at all. i caretake for the neighbors and every now and then the kids take the chain brake off. i cant get the damn thing back together so i just buy another clutch cover with all the parts in it. i can and have taken stihl saws down to an engine cases with only a scrench, torx, and a nut driver. i have never run a husky that i like better than a stihl.
does the husky have an adjustable oiler???

go buy a professional grade stihl.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Pixie, not all husqvarnas are homeowner grade saws ,and not all stihl saws are pro grade,I own both brands.

True. We have a Husky dealer near here and they are very good. I guess my real message is to not buy a tool one is not familiar with from a store that can't fix it.

My Stihls are just homeowner saws except for one. One model doesn't oil well but I mostly use it on small trees so it's not a big issue. It usually pulls out of it on it's own.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Pixie, I agree. If you buy at a place that can't service what you bought,then don't cry when it breaks and the store doesn't have a clue . What's the saying.... Penny saved,pound foolish? Box stores have their advantages ,but buying high quality power equipment ,or expecting them to fix anything just isn't among any of those advantages.
Spence, I'm sorry for your bad experience with Husqvarnas .
My 044 agrees with you, it always makes jokes about My 346,372,and390 XP's being inferior:whistling::yum:

dgh

Pixie, I agree. If you buy at a place that can't service what you bought,then don't cry when it breaks and the store doesn't have a clue . What's the saying.... Penny saved,pound foolish? Box stores have their advantages ,but buying high quality power equipment ,or expecting them to fix anything just isn't among any of those advantages.
Spence, I'm sorry for your bad experience with Husqvarnas .
My 044 agrees with you, it always makes jokes about My 346,372,and390 XP's being inferior:whistling::yum:

It was a birthday gift but aside from that i'm not crying about the big box store. i'm dealing with husky and let me tell you its a nightmare!
most big box stores don't really sand behind what they sell and i know that. right now i'm trying to get the company that made it to stand behind what they made and let me tell you its really hard!

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
right now i'm trying to get the company that made it to stand behind what they made and let me tell you its really hard!
I feel your pain dgh, and I'll keep it in mind. Bad advertisement spreads much faster than good...

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
It was a birthday gift but aside from that i'm not crying about the big box store. i'm dealing with husky and let me tell you its a nightmare!
most big box stores don't really sand behind what they sell and i know that. right now i'm trying to get the company that made it to stand behind what they made and let me tell you its really hard!

I don't believe that I was addressing you specifically. In a way, I feel bad about the Shoddy way you claim to have been treated.
However, I'd like to know if you read the owners manual. It usually cover things like chain mounting/ replacement,and chain oiler adjustment( if any ) .
You seem spring loaded to assign blame to Husqvarna.,and the seller,but not accept any on your part for lack of research. I mean after all ,your first post here was a rant about the manufacturer,and the seller. Sorry if I seem to be skeptical of you.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Was it paid for with a credit card? If so, call the bank and dispute the charge for the chainsaw. Tell them about your repeated attempts at correcting the situation with the manufacturer. If you have any details such as times and dates of your phone calls or even better yet, a name or employee number of the representative(s) you talked to, then provide that to the bank.

You will have the situation resolved in your favor quite rapidly if you interrupt their revenue stream.

luv2weld

SUPER Site Supporter
Hey, you guys, wait a minute!!!
You didn't ask the right questions yet!!!
Was the saw in the box when you got it???
Or, was it already assembled and ready to cut???
Makes a big difference in who is at fault here!!!

If it was already assembled and ready to cut, Canadian Tire has to stand behind it.
Whatever little part time flunky put it together is responsible. I would be standing on the managers desk, jumping up and down.

And make sure he knows if it is not made right he will be getting lots of free publicity. Call a TV station or a newspaper and have them go with you to talk to him. It's surprising how fast things are made right when they think the whole world is watching.

On the other hand, if it was in a box and you had to mount the bar and chain------
guess you bites the bullet, eh?????

Ralph

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

If it was already assembled and ready to cut, Canadian Tire has to stand behind it.
Whatever little part time flunky put it together is responsible. I would be standing on the managers desk, jumping up and down.

And make sure he knows if it is not made right he will be getting lots of free publicity. Call a TV station or a newspaper and have them go with you to talk to him. It's surprising how fast things are made right when they think the whole world is watching.

On the other hand, if it was in a box and you had to mount the bar and chain------

Ralph

I would agree but,, I have had trouble cutting any wood with a dull chain. Backwards????.....I don't think so. My Husky Rancher 55 won't even turn the chain once put to the wood, if it is on backwards. Don't ask how I know.

I have three Hysky's and love the dealer service. even on the ones I bought from Lowes.

The dealer was giving you BS. Do the yellow pages thing,,,, Find another Husky dealer and tell him your story.
They are independets and this is a good way for themto get you out of and away from the "Big Box Store."

BTW,
Best Chainsaw I've ever had was a bargain Homelite. Try getting parts for one....Or have anybody agree to fix it.

dgh

Ralph

When i got it it was all put together. All I did was add gas and bar oil.
i went to Canadain tire and was nice then mean then jumping around trying to get a new saw and they said that the saw comes to them already put together from husky so i would have to take it up with them.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is sad. Guarantee my Stihl dealer would fix a problem like that pronto. I would think the Husky dealer would do the same but I have not dealt with him directly. There is a good amount of logging around here and loggers don't tolerate a saw that does not perform. When the Amish were here a month ago he brought a big husky as well as his Stihl and he loved how the Husky cut. Sounds like something got missed at assembly or the pickup tube got knocked off in shipping.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Best Chainsaw I've ever had was a bargain Homelite. Try getting parts for one....Or have anybody agree to fix it.
I agree. I still have a Super XL that I bought back in 74 or 75. Runs like a champ but the muffler wore out long ago and it's just to damn loud. But one hell of a saw, that's for sure.

dgh

.... so still nothing i called them today and they said it was not their fault and that i should be calling this guy named scott and they gave me his number..... he didn't pick up so i left him some mail

Trakternut

.... so still nothing i called them today and they said it was not their fault and that i should be calling this guy named scott and they gave me his number..... he didn't pick up so i left him some mail

Sounds like a call to your state's attorney general's office is in order. :whistling:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks for the link :)

No problem . I see that You posted Your problem overin the chain saw forum as well as reading the FAQ forum . Your thread over there is currently running something like 120+ posts and 9 pages long . You should drop in here and at arborist to update your saga. It's not nice to fling poo, then disappear :whistling:

dgh

No problem . I see that You posted Your problem overin the chain saw forum as well as reading the FAQ forum . Your thread over there is currently running something like 120+ posts and 9 pages long . You should drop in here and at arborist to update your saga. It's not nice to fling poo, then disappear :whistling:

i was just about to go over there i was busy working on my place... putting in new walls is harder then i thought :)