• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1404 imp travel speed

radi0geek

How fast should an 1404 imp be? Like over hard pack and then over like say 18 inches of fresh powder? I was driving one today and it seemed very slow. I have heard they should be faster. This has the v4 with standard trans and oc 12 rear end regular style track. Not a wide track.

tomelroy

Oc12? 1404 had the 4 speed c4. It also had a 3 speed manual trans. My guess is you had the rear end in a low gear. Top speed is over 25

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you want speed, get a sled

Ditto.

Even if the theoretical top speed is "over 25 mph" the actual speed someone will be able to maintain over varied land conditions will be somewhat slower. I'd guess at least 25% slower.

My Snow Trac is set up to do a top speed of about 25, but if you think about it a car with a theoretical top speed of 125 is rarely pushed that hard and rarely pushed that hard for very long. Same is true with any of these snow machines. Push them at the limit for a long drive and you're going to stress something until it fails. Be it a hose, a belt, a gear or a track. Out on a smooth open farm field that is covered in snow a FAST run is a lot of fun, but on a path the speeds drop pretty dramatically.