• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Doing Firewood

longbed454

I find this way is the most efficient way to do firewood for me. I'm cutting about 1.5 miles from home. I use to haul lots with my j5 but this way is cheaper. I go out the day before and pack down the trail, back up to the trees let it freeze overnight and then you can walk on it the day. Every year its different but this year seems to be working good. Feel free to share your method:smile:

Attachments

• Alpine1.JPG
    Alpine1.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 556
  • Alpine2.JPG
    Alpine2.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 568

Cali2Idaho

Thats a decent load for snowmoblie to pull.
Looks like you will have to cut em again when you get home, unless your stove handles those lengths:ermm:

I usually take care of getting all my wood before winter hits.
I have a couple of crawler tractors.
I use my tracked skid steer to skid logs out or lift em up for cutting then i roll my rounds into the bucket and load the truck.
sorry no pics.

longbed454

Thats a decent load for snowmoblie to pull.
Looks like you will have to cut em again when you get home, unless your stove handles those lengths:ermm:

I usually take care of getting all my wood before winter hits.
I have a couple of crawler tractors.
I use my tracked skid steer to skid logs out or lift em up for cutting then i roll my rounds into the bucket and load the truck.
sorry no pics.

That was a good load. I cut them at 24" we have a outside wood stove and the fire box is 44" deep so I'm ok any longer than 24" they just get hard to handle

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I find any good down trees that I can behind my place. This was a log jam in the river.
DSC02415.jpg

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I burn LP. sure has cut down on the ashes I have to carry out!!!!!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I find any good down trees that I can behind my place. This was a log jam in the river.
DSC02415.jpg

Bet you go though a lot of saw sharpening! River and beach firewood really have a lot of sand in them, and when I cut the wood at night, it looks like I am cutting the tree in half with a grinder, lots of sparks.

I switched to using coal, a pickup load of almost two tons will burn about the same as six to seven cords of wood, I haul it a few times a winter and it costs about 65 bucks a ton! So instead of using about three thousand dollars for heating oil, I spend about four hundred or so.

longbed454

Here's some pictures of our woodstove (it's inside now) and another good load when the trails are froze rock hard were able to use the old sleigh and haul bigger loads. Monday we got 6" of fresh snow so we have pack down our trails and start over again got to love winter!!!

Attachments

• wood_stove.jpg
    wood_stove.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 394
  • big load 001.jpg
    big load 001.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 408
  • big load 003.jpg
    big load 003.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 396

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice load!!! How do you like your Rhino? we bought one in September to upgrade from our Mule we love it great ride and power :smile:
I bought mine early I think the number on it is 544. I love it but it lacks on the payload of 400lbs. I double that when I cut wood and take it slow.1200hrs and only minor problems.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
The talk about firewood made me think about this video. Very impressive:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXzaGFkWfU"]YouTube - Wood Cutting & Splitting Attachment[/ame]

Cali2Idaho

Longbed454- thats a very nice wood burner:clap:
I plumbed a house for a guy a couple years back, and he had one similar to yours. He left his unit outside and used it to heat the house with radiant floor heat using pex and also a heat exchanger to heat the hot water system.
You have since moved it inside huh?:unsure:

Cali2Idaho

I did some firewood today myself. It has been surprisingly dry and somewhat warm here in No. Cali.
Winds came up and knocked a large dead pine tree over on an adjacent property to mine.
I Couldnt get my truck in close enough because there was no driveway or access onto this property other than a deer trail with a steep climb about 45* off the road.
So after looking at the down tree, i went and got my jeep.
My jeep has 1 ton narrowed axles with low gears and detroit lockers front and rear. Climbed right up and made a new road like that.:brows:
I spent several hours limbing it and piling the brush out of the way so i could work safer. Then i cut it up into draggable lengths about 10' long and skidded those pieces back to the side of the road. Just before dark i finished cutting it into rounds 16-18". Half of it is about 24" the rest is smaller. probably about 1-1/2 or 2 cords by the time i split it.
Tomarrow i will run my skidsteer over there and use it to load the big rounds into my truck.
All in the name of fun right? Not.
Sorry no pics.

longbed454

Longbed454- thats a very nice wood burner:clap:
I plumbed a house for a guy a couple years back, and he had one similar to yours. He left his unit outside and used it to heat the house with radiant floor heat using pex and also a heat exchanger to heat the hot water system.
You have since moved it inside huh?:unsure:

I just continued the wood shed over the stove to keep the wind and snow off it (help big time)Our house is also heated with radiant floor and the hot water tank and I also have it plumbed to my garage with a water to air heat exchanger that keeps my garage nice and toasty all with one fire it's a great system. our house was built in 2008 and last season I burnt for 9 months and used about 10-12 face cords 24" long. Doing it are self not counting labor about $200 a year I fine that pretty cheap:smile: