• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My new to me Rototiller ......

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its an older 3PH 5 1/2 foot Northwestern tiller . It had one little bearing that was bad so I decided to replace it . I ran out of time and left it for the summer while I was in Idaho and other places .All that was left to do was realine the belt system
So today I decided to buttom that baby up , slap a new paint job on her and get it ready to head for the ranch when I head back up . Sounds so simple .....huh?
I been out there for 6 fickin hours and still can't get the old "4 belt drive system" lined up correctly . This thing has been changed so many times that someone has drilled 3 adjustment holes in the motor bracket . I finally just gave up and decided to rebuild the damn thing as I should have 5 1/2 hours ago . Why do some people work on crap and have no idea what the hell they are doing ??? :doh: They even had the tensioner pulley upside down !!!
I am glad my labor is free ....:unsure: I am now half drunk and looking for the old owner so I can wrap his homemade POS bracket around his head .

Peace and Love :wink:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We need pictures

And we also need the list of drinks Al has been drinking so we can figure out why it took 6 hours to figure out what he should have figured out 5 1/2 hours ago. :whip:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
:clap:OK!!! I finally got the tiller working right . I finally ended up taking a cutting torch and moving a mounting bracket some preivous owner had made . Once i did that the alinement just fell into place . Even with the headaches of fixing someone elses screw ups , I think I got a great deal :unsure:.
My plan is to use the tiller to put in a annual firebreak around the ranch ,once a year . Even with the new bearings ,I only got about $300 invested in the whole thing . Its still the biggest , bad ass tiller I ever saw . Used my nieghbors 45 hP Kioti to hook it up and try it out . The tractor is the sister to mine in Idaho . The tiller must be extremely heavy as the 3PH grunts pretty hard lifting it .
Time to go throw on a new paint job to make it complete .:w00t2:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill, I know you're saying this to Allen but I'll throw one out.

I have a mini version (54") but it shows what a nice job a tiller does for making fire-breaks.

Here's just a few minutes of work. That was a green lawn just a few minutes earlier.

Attachments

• CIMG8331.jpg
    CIMG8331.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 61

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 60" one myself. It does a good job even in our rocky clay. I do deer plots and and have done several yards with it.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
After trying to upload pictures ,I think I finally got this damn camera figured out . Here is my little tiller after I replaced bearings ,clean it up and added a paint job . Its a offset design 5 1/2 foot Northhwest tiller still made in Washington for commercial farming operations . This is a older unit and is missing the belt guard but I think it will get the job done . A new belt guard will be easy to fabricate . The tines look to be about 1/2" thick .Super heavy duty . The belt design takes all the shock off the motor .

Not bad for a $300 investment :clap::w00t2:

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 56
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 57

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, that is interesting. I've seen a lot of tillers but never have seen a belt drive system like that. Any idea how long the belts last? Seems like there may be some wear on the sides of the belts as they change angle from the central PTO drive to the tiller drive on the side.

BTW, what type of fertilizer do you use on your lawn. Its got ORANGE spots and stripes on it!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al, that is interesting. I've seen a lot of tillers but never have seen a belt drive system like that. Any idea how long the belts last? Seems like there may be some wear on the sides of the belts as they change angle from the central PTO drive to the tiller drive on the side.

BTW, what type of fertilizer do you use on your lawn. Its got ORANGE spots on it!

I believe the belts last a long time . The pulleys are very deep in design . I guess i'll find out .

The belt design is what makes it unigue in design . Everything I have read says these are some of the highest quality tillers avalible . They are known for lasting for years without any maintance .I could never justify the cost of buying a new one for my use ,but at the price I stole......I mean ....,bought it for , It was a great deal .They are super expensive new . I think everyone else just looked at it and thouight it was a piece of antique yard art . I knew what it was as soon as I saw it . I could not get my wallet out fast enough .

The belts actually drive from the bottom and are aligned by the lower roller in the picture . As the belts come over the top roller they are a little looser . There are no shear bolts . The belts will slip if necessary ,should a large rock be encountered .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The tiller sure looks like it is built like a tank! Like I said, very interesting design.

I agree with you on the cost of tillers they are outrageous. I share a tiller with my neighbor, each paying 1/2 the cost. Even at that its sometimes hard to justify the amount of money they cost!!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe I dropped $1400 for mine about 6 years ago. Still the best money I could have spent. I borrowed my old neighbors to try and went and bought my own the next day. They are work savers and beat any self powered tiller for doing larger areas. I will use mine this fall and again in the spring.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I could not get my wallet out fast enough
Poobah,

You've been touting your weight loss. What gives? A draw on the wallet should be as fast as your carry gun. Did I miss something where you gained a couple pounds back?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Poobah,

You've been touting your weight loss. What gives? A draw on the wallet should be as fast as your carry gun. Did I miss something where you gained a couple pounds back?

I have a real problem when it comes to getting out my wallet . I have "Flashbacks" to the kids asking for money , Wives asking for money .etc. Makes me hesitate to this day now . Maybe its more of a bad flinch on my part . :sad:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you are just scared of the moths and mold spores when you finally get it out!:yum::yum::yum:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a real problem when it comes to getting out my wallet . I have "Flashbacks" to the kids asking for money , Wives asking for money .etc. Makes me hesitate to this day now . Maybe its more of a bad flinch on my part . :sad:
Al i now know why i like you so much even if you own a krusty instead of a snow trac your past life is like mine now every body wants a piece of my income wich now makes me quite the tight ass

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al i now know why i like you so much even if you own a krusty instead of a snow trac your past life is like mine now every body wants a piece of my income wich now makes me quite the tight ass

Somebody painted a bullseye on my ass a long time ago so now they want my wallet and my ass .....

and leave my Krusty......I mean Kristi out of this . Kristi is still without a doubt the most advance modern designed cat ever made . I am thinking of adding a second popcorn machine to mine to sell more popcorn to those Circus Clowns that have Snot tracks ...:clap:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
"Kristi is still without a doubt the most advance modern designed cat ever made ."
But is it ready for snow this winter?:yum::yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
"Kristi is still without a doubt the most advance modern designed cat ever made ."
But is it ready for snow this winter?:yum::yum:

Without knowing your clearance level I cannot give out that information :biggrin: