• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What laptop are you using???

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm looking at getting a new laptop. Our desktop is around 8 yrs old and the older dell laptop is around the same age. Been looking at getting myself a new laptop but I haven't really kept up on technology. What kind of processor would you recomend? I'm looking at something with a webcam that can run basic programs. I had my current laptop whiped out last year and only have one program on it as that's pretty much all it can handle and still run smoothly. I've got no word processor right now on the laptop. It's bare bones. Firefox on it and thats it. No messenger, nothing. I ran fine for a while but I find it's slow even at that. With that said, my kids will get this one and I'll get one that can handle more than just running the internet.

I'm not looking at anything fancy. Just something I can run a few programs on, play the odd game, etc...

What's everyone's opinion on processor type? Which is better? Athlon, celeron, pentium?

I was looking at those netbooks but want something a bit bigger with a webcam, dvd etc...

Help me pick out a decent laptop. I'm looking at 15-16 inch screen.

What brand do you recommend? We've got three dells and have been happy with them. I wouldn't touch a compaq with a ten ft poll.(past experience) How are the Toshiba's? Acer's? Gateway?

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you considered a MacBook? I bought mine refurbished from Apple 3 years ago, and it came with a full warranty from Apple. it's more money, but it comes with everything most people need to get by with today. I don't care for the Safari browser, so I run Firefox. Oh, and don't forget it is immune from PC viruses. My business computer is an I-Mac G5, and in 5 years it has not encountered a single virus. I love that machine.

I bought a MacBook for my wife, and our son has a MacBook Pro as well as his own G5 for his video editing and photography business. I believe the Macs are worthy of consideration when replacing a PC laptop.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thought about macbook briefly but since our other two computers are microsoft based, I'd prefer to stay with that since I often work on my desktop then transfer stuff to the laptop to work on it elsewhere.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
The wife and I just purchased a new desk top. It's an ASUS brand and we got it at Best Buy for $399 (no monitor) got a LG 20" for $100. Below is what we got but they didn't offer the monitor at the time. Perfect for our needs and a pretty good price I thought. ASUS made their mark building top quality motherboards. That had alot to do with why I chose them. I figured they'd take the same approach to the whole unit.

For work I have a Dell Lattitudes. It's OK...but I like my desk top better.

New! Asus CM5570-AP003 Desktop with Intel® Pentium® Processor & 20" LCD Monitor

SKU: 9999117700050000

Save $110 instantly on this versatile desktop and monitor duo (CM5570-AP003, VH203T). With the dual-core PC, you can download music and streaming media, edit digital photos and keep in touch over the Internet, all without slowing down.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought about macbook briefly but since our other two computers are microsoft based, I'd prefer to stay with that since I often work on my desktop then transfer stuff to the laptop to work on it elsewhere.
File interchangeability is rarely an issue any longer between PC & Mac. Unless you are using a proprietary, PC-only based piece of software, most files can be transferred. I downloaded OpenOffice from OpenOffice.org, and I can create and transfer documents, spreadsheets and presentations (Power Point), and save them as MS files with no problems. I also have the Microsoft suite for Mac, and have never had an interchangeability issue when sending or receiving files.

Not trying to influence your decision, just saying that the interchangeability issues are rarely a problem any longer. The Core 2 Duo processor also permits me to run my PC based AutoCAD sortware for my business with a couple of keystrokes, and the built in 802.11n Wi-Fi means there are no add-ons to buy to get access at your favorite places that offer free Wi-Fi. I take my laptop with me when working, and can have lunch and catch up on news and forums at the eatery. For me, this was the best decision, but you may be looking for something different or be working at a different price point. Macs and PCs are blurring together, kind of like the dems and republicans both being thieves and liars.:yum: At least you can turn off your computer and disable certain features, unlike the politicians.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a MacBook Pro, a Powerbook, a couple of Dells and a big PC Tower.

Just buy a Windoze based notebook with the fastest CPU, the most ram, and the biggest hard drive that you can afford. Go to Best Buy/Future Shop and kick the tires on them.

I wouldn't recommend a Mac unless you are really adventurous. The Mac fan-boys tend to be a little over zealous about their machines. Apple hardware is very nice and well built and OS X is the coolest UNIX os around but if you are familiar with Windows then stick with it.

You may want to wait and make sure what ever you buy runs Windows 7 fast enough for you. There should be lots of reviews soon of machines running Windows 7.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I just picked a new laptop up for the wife's business endeavors. It was basically a barebones unit. You probably wouldn't think about it because it's an HP, almost the same as Compaq. I have had very little issues out of any Compaq unit I've had. I've had 4 desktops (all purchased refurbished) with no issues. The old laptop was a Compaq as well. 6 years before it died with a bad CPU fan, which is only available used now. Anyway, here's what we picked up a few weeks ago:

HP G60-441US
2 Gig Dual Core Intel processor
3 Gig RAM
320 GB Hard Drive
DVD RW with Lightscribe
16" Monitor.

Under $500 at Staples. Right now is a great time to buy a unit with Windows XP. They are unloading stock to get ready for the Windows 7 debut in a few days. You'll probably get a free upgrade to W7. They were offering it on all the laptops I looked at.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Dell Inspiron 1705, duel core Intel CPU It has done a good job for me for the past 3 years. I dual boot Windows and Linux with no issues. Dell did not honor their promise to upgrade to Vista when it came out so I have a bad taste in my mouth from dealing with them. They might have done me a favor in the long run, but still, I doubt my next laptop will come from them.

I build my desktops and have used AMD more than Intel since they were cheaper. I have no problems with either CPU. Both offer dual core adn quat core versions. I doubt you could even buy a single core system nowdays but even if you could I would shy away from them.
Anyone know if one make of laptop is easier to work on than others? That would be part of my critiera for the my next one. Ease of maintenance / upgrades.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a Compaq NC8430 now for two years. The case has been replaced once and now due to be replaced again. Unfortunately they won't replace the case even though it is under warranty. They said I am too hard on it which I disagree. I am told not to pick it up unless I have it closed up. So every time I get up to get an apple or pop I am to shut it down, close the lid and then set it to the side of me. :confused2: I won't be replacing the case but getting a new laptop. Otherwise their service has been great.

murph

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OT ...but that is outrageous Murph. Laptops are made to be set on your lap and taken off your lap whenever you need to get up without shutting it down first. I do it with mine all the time, no issues. I never shut mine down. Shutting it down before taking it off of your lap is ludicrous. What horrible advice from the tech you spoke to.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had to pay roughly $200 to have a new case put on it. and now the new one is showing signs of stress cracks just like the first one. The first one the the left front corner literally broke away.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That sounds more like my experience with compaq. A month after the warranty was up, the power supply fried on our desktop. We paid to have it replaced. Shortly after, the dvd burner fried on it. We changed that. Then, the fan went on it. Finally, I took the 12 guage to it and bought a Dell.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a full docking station that only works with the HP Compaq Business Notebooks. It runs about $245.00. If I get another brand then it becomes useless.

norscaner

That sounds more like my experience with compaq. A month after the warranty was up, the power supply fried on our desktop. We paid to have it replaced. Shortly after, the dvd burner fried on it. We changed that. Then, the fan went on it. Finally, I took the 12 guage to it and bought a Dell.

And what type of shot do you recommend on a compaq?:yum: Did you at least throw it up in the air or drag it behind the quadrunner to give it a fair chance?:doh:

grizzer

http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/WEM2052.asp?SRCCODE=WEM2052RL&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-WEM2052-_-post

Lots of cheap laptops out there but if you want a durable one commercial-industrial grade it's gonna cost like it always has.

Lenovo, HP, etc. sell road warrior class machines with the price point closer or over $5K than $500.

If I were still traveling I'd have the latest LED TFT Fusion color accurized dual screen SSD tablet Thinkpad.

Since I'm not I putz around with a 17" 1.6/2G/160HD el cheapo picked up when the price point dropped to $599 at best buy about 2 years ago. It is so cheaply made it flexes, there is no screen latch, no bios to turn on the num lock during boot, the ROM battery replacement requires a total machine disassembly. I read the manual online before I bought it - wuz a computer HW techie in a previous life.

Having said all that the screen is bright & clear, it's quiet, keyboard is large - no typos, picks up Wi-FI everywhere, contains all my files (primarily functions as a backup), runs Skype and the webcam so relatives can see and talk each other!! Always close the lid when moving as I know it'll break but the sleep/wakeup software works fast.

I'm not sure there is substantial qualitative difference in brands anymore the battle is price point and feature rich content.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's what I'm looking at.....

Toshiba Satellite 16" Intel Dual Core T3400 2.16GHz Laptop (A350-02T) $529.00

Base Features
Approximate Battery Life Up To 3 Hours
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 250GB 5400RPM
LED Backlit Display
Optical Drive Super Multi DVD
Processor Speed 2.16GHz
Processor Type Intel Pentium Dual Core T3400
RAM 3GB
Screen Size 16.0"
Graphics
Discrete Video Memory No
Expandable Video Memory Yes - Up to 1340MB
Graphics Chipset Intel GMA 4500M
Integrated Video Memory Yes
Native Screen Resolution 1366 x 768
Upgradable Video System No
Video Memory 1340MB
Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC268-GR
Audio Output Stereo
Digital Input No
Digital Output Yes
Hardware Volume Control Yes
Integrated Amplifier No
Integrated Microphone Yes
Microphone Input Yes
Speaker Wattage Not Applicable
Speakers Yes
Inputs/Outputs
Card Reader Yes
Card Reader - Compatible Memory Types SD, SDHC, xD, MS, MS Pro, MMC
Composite Output No
ExpressCard/34 Input Yes
ExpressCard/54 Input Yes
HDCP Compliant No
HDMI Port Yes
IEEE 1394 Input/Output 1
IR Receiver No
Number of Touchpad Buttons 2
PC Card Input Express Card
S-Video Output No
Type of Keyboard Bilingual
Type of Modem V.92 56K
Type of Pointing Device Touchpad
USB 2.0 4
VGA Output 1
Webcam YES
Networking
Ethernet Port 10/100
Integrated Bluetooth No
Integrated WiFi 802.11b/g/n
Power
Battery - Capacity 4000 mAh
Battery - Number of Cells 6
Battery Type Lithium-Ion
Computing Features
Processor Cache 1MB L2
System Bus 677MHz
Software
Loaded Software 1 Toshiba ConfigFree
Loaded Software 2 Adobe Acrobat Reader
Loaded Software 3 TOSHIBA Disc Creator
Loaded Software 4 Toshiba DVD Player
Operating System Language Bilingual
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
Accessories
Headphones No
Remote No
Product Features
Notebook Depth 26.7 cm
Notebook Thickness (closed) 3.8 cm
Notebook Weight (including Battery) 2.9 kg
Notebook Width 38.3 cm
Warranty Labour 1 Year Limited
Warranty Parts 1 Year Limited

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a good deal. :thumb:
Did you find it online or local?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a good deal. :thumb:
Did you find it online or local?

Futureshop!!! But it looks like it's out of stock. I'll probably end up with something like that or an Acer. Don't want to go to fancy with a bunch of software I won't use.

Our desktop is a Dell with an Intel Celeron processor 2.53 GHz CPU, 1 BG of ram. It's worked flawlessly for us. I've got close to 500 pictures and just as many songs on it and it hasn't slowed a bit.

grizzer

Check that your source allows returns. Getting a DOA and no return policy is a pain then dealing with mfgr.

Any reason you want 16" screen? a larger Hi-def screen might be better for pictures & video.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
that's a lot like the machine my BIL got this spring - except he got the 15.6" model. (with actual 10=key on the side)
personally, i prefer the Athlon dual and quad core machines over intel, but that's just personal prejudice and no significant performance advantage.
I've had my Toshiba satellite for about 1.5 years and no issues.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Check that your source allows returns. Getting a DOA and no return policy is a pain then dealing with mfgr.

Any reason you want 16" screen? a larger Hi-def screen might be better for pictures & video.

I'd like to go bigger but price is also a factor. I don't generally watch movies on the laptop. I have in the past but prefer to watch them on the hi-def 42" flatscreen.:smile:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
And what type of shot do you recommend on a compaq? Did you at least throw it up in the air or drag it behind the quadrunner to give it a fair chance?

Any good slug will do!:biggrin:

I did give it a fair chance though. Had a buddy throw it off a cliff while I shot at it on the way down. 3-shot pump and I managed all 3 shots directly on target.:gun2_smi:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
A Dell Mini-9 I got tired of hauling around a monstrously heavy 17" laptop. :unsure:

It's certainly not a powerhouse computer, but all I use it for is web browsing and email and it was only $200 :clap:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I decided on a Toshiba Satellite. This thing is huge. 17.3 inch screen, Pentium dual-core CPU, 2.1 Ghz, 4GB Ram. Built in webcam. Nice. Good Price too......$649.00

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Dell Inspiron 6000, 15.6" screen, Windows XP, Microsoft Office Small Business, 4 trouble free years.

Same here. I've restored mine to factory defaults a few times and it runs great. I should also mention that I pack this thing up every night and take it home with me from the office, so it's been bumped around a bit.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I bought a 15" MacBook Pro a year ago and have not looked back. I use a PC at work and have not had any problems going from one to another.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just purchased an Asus laptop at Bestbuy. Basically a dual core Intel, 4 gig ram, 350 HDD, Windows 7 installed. Included a 16 inch screen (which gives you a full keyboard) Webcam. So far, it has had no problems. All for $500. Would recommend it highly. Only problem I have found is that Flash Player will not support 64 bit Windows 7. There is a workaround, but I have not bothered as I have several other computers with 32 bit explorer.