• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Benchtop Drill Press - opinions please!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey folks, I need some help here. I'm looking for a benchtop drill press. We have one at work but 90% of the time that I need one is when I am at home. So I've decided to break down and buy a 10" model (plenty big for my needs).

I've narrowed it down to 3 and provided links.

Harbor Freight for $89
Ryobi #DP101 for $99 (you need to search their site the link won't go to the press)
Craftsman #21900 for $99

The ONLY reason I am considering the Ryobi is because I have a $40 gift card at Home Depot, so this would only cost me $60 out of pocket. It does not have a tilt table, both the Sears & HF presses have tables that tilt 45 degrees. This also has smallest motor.
-- Home Depot has a Delta brand press for $109 with a tilt table, but it is not in stock and I want to use it this weekend.

The Harbor Freight is cheaper, not impressed with their stuff, but this would suit my needs. 1/3hp. 5 speed.

The Sears Craftsman is on sale, normally $119, has laser guide (do you need laser guide to figure out where the drill will poke a hole or is it a gimick that will break or be unused?). 2/3hp. 5 speed.

Any opinions? :confused:
Ryobi for an out of pocket expense of $60? :D But without a tilt table :(
HF for $89
Craftsman for $99

Attachments

• 1ryobi.jpg
    1ryobi.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 1HF.gif
    1HF.gif
    31.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 1sears-99.jpg
    1sears-99.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 75

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Bob.......How much are you actually going to use it ? I do a lot of drilling, but don't use the tilt feature that often. I suggest the ryobi & use the cash savings to include a drill press vise & some bits. (plus you can add another to your growing list of "vice's" ! ) :yum:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ryobi, If I had to pick.

I have a no-name brand 10" with a laser guide that won't stay in place. I think it's a gimmick.

If I ever get more shop space then I'd get a bigger floor drill press. Much more versatile IMO. Not sure I'm a big fan of any of those brands though. I haven't had stellar results from any of them. They are OK just don't expect lots of torque when you start to do anything that needs the extra power.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
just don't expect lots of torque when you start to do anything that needs the extra power.
My main use will be drilling in mild steel. I currently use a hand drill (far less torque) or take the steel to work and use the press there (which is a 30 minute drive). Am I asking too much from a benchtop press?

I would consider myself a light/occasional user, it is more for conveninece (not wanting to go to work) and accuracy (better stability than a hand drill).

TOMLESCOEQUIP said:
Bob.......How much are you actually going to use it ? I do a lot of drilling, but don't use the tilt feature that often. I suggest the ryobi & use the cash savings to include a drill press vise & some bits.
Tom, I thought of that too! The Sears comes with a rail, etc. None include a vise. I'm leaning toward the Sears Craftsman and am skeptical of the laser feature but like the other features.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What about this Delta model. It is in stock at the Lowe's store down the road (I hate shopping there because it is on the wrong side of the road) but this is $99 and has a tilt table, 5 speed. Seems like all these things are pretty similar.

1/4 HP, 120 V induction motor for long-lasting, smooth performance

Pivoting motor mount maintains correct belt tension and facilitates speed changes
Three-spoke pilot wheel
Adjustable-position, locking depth stop
Tilting table with slots for fast clamping of work
Standard 3-jaw, 1/2" capacity chuck for positive gripping of various drill press cutting tools
Includes 1/2" capacity chuck and key, belt and pulleys, light and instruction manual

Attachments

• 1delta.jpg
    1delta.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 70

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Bob........Go to HD & purchase something for $50 with your gift card & some cash for the balance. Return it later & use your cash refund to save you the $40 at Lowes on the other drill press. ("Gotta think outside the box" (store) sometimes !)

cj7

Hmm

I think I like that Delta.

I was going to say the Craftsman as I have the Floor model at home and we have a floor model here at our shop (it is over 25 years old and going strong not used everyday though)

When i was shopping for my floor press I almost bought a Delta but I could get a little larger Craftsman for the money so I went with it.

Not too sure on the Harbor Freight or the Ryobi. But if I had to pick go Ryobi.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I would go with the Delta. The tilt table is nice the few times that you want to use it. You never can go wrong buying the better unit. The Delta will have resale value afterward, the Harbor Freight will make a good boat anchor, but not much more. By the way....... Lowe's isn't on the wrong side of the street........ you are on the wrong side......

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For what it is worth, you guys are NO HELP AT ALL :pat: (well OK Junk gave some real opinion, but not the rest of you!!!)

I was hoping for some STRONG opinions stating why one is good and another is crap. Now all I have is wishy-washy bunk, and if I wanted that I could have asked a woman. :5boobs: Hey Working Woman, any drill press opinions?

Come on guys. Anything here ring a bell as to which one is better or worse?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
If the Delta is now an option then I would go with it. I am pretty happy with my Delta 12 inch miter saw.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I have the Craftsman, same drill press but without the laser. It does a fine job.

If I were buying new though I would go with the delta. The drill press is the only Craftsman tool I have. It was Beth's fathers. Everything else for woodworking I have is delta.

Jim

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
You can still get parts for a 20 year old Craftsman or Delta. My bet on the other two is no. I had a Ryobi drill that I couldn't get a replacement charger for after 2 years. Harbor Freight, I doubt that you can get any replacement parts for anything that they sell. I think that Harbor Freight makes great movie props, but not much more. I like the Delta because it is a time proven item that will last and have precision abilities for many years to come. I own a 40+ year old Craftsman and am still satisfied with it...... Junk...

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Buy the HF unit. I want to hear you rant about it breaking during your first use. :yum:

jwstewar

Bob,

I bought the previous Craftsman model (w/o the laser) right after Christmas out of my B-day money. It had been $119, on sale for $99 closing out for $69. Haven't used it but a couple of times. So far it seems to be OK. For $69 I don't think I could have passed it up. I wouldn't buy the Ryobi or the HF. The Craftsman or Delta either one would be fine for your use.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Buy the HF unit. I want to hear you rant about it breaking during your first use. :yum:
:reacharouScrew you all. :poke:I came here and opened up my innermost emotions and feelings. I got a PM from Working Woman, she advised me to buy a KitchenAid Mix Master. She rationally explained all the advantages and even pointed out that it is made in Korea so it is heavy :puke1: I took her advice. But I can't figure out how to attach a drill bit :eek:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I have the Craftsman without laser, seems to be a good press. My miter and my radial arm saw have lasers, and I think they are a bit of a gimick.

I too avoid HF.

As far as expecting too much out of your machine: not at all, but for any steel, if you don't mind spending more $$$ on the bits than any of these presses you'll be pretty happy [also, low RPMs; cutting oil is a good idea too].

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Harbor Freight, I doubt that you can get any replacement parts for anything that they sell.

Actually, they are pretty good for parts and customer service considering what you might expect. I've had two incomplete items from them and one where I lost my router collet and each time I just called them and they sent/sold me the replacement parts. Of course, they weren't two years old at the time.

I still wouldn't recommend their tools for anything more than the occasional use or as a throw away.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Now that sounds like fun, but if we're spending Bob's money, I think we're on the wrong caliber altogether! Perhaps this for a basic model:

Attachments

• Bridgeport.jpg
    Bridgeport.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 64

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I went to Sears. They had one on display but were out of stock of the unit I wanted.
I went to Menards. They had Pro-Tech, it looked worse than the HF drill.
I skipped HF on this shopping trip completely to avoid Dargo's recommendation.
I went to Home Depot. There were out of stock of the Delta units (they have the same one that Lowes has) but they had the Ryobi in stock. Turns out it does have a tilt function. I bought it.

Overall, I would say that the Craftsman was the best of the small drill presses in terms of overall functions and had more accessories. The Ryobi looked to be very basic in comparision but the Ryobi 12" (for $149) was feature packed. The Pro-Tech simply looked cheap. Cheaper than the HF unit. The out of pocket expense turned out to be $55 for me to buy the Ryobi, it was good enough that I could not pass it up.

All of the above stores are on the "right" side of the road within 1 mile of each other. Lowes in on the "liberal" side of the road. I just couldn't go there.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Spiffy1 said:
Now that sounds like fun, but if we're spending Bob's money, I think we're on the wrong caliber altogether! Perhaps this for a basic model:

That picture should be in th MLR!!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Bob, I honestly have a Sears Craftsman 3/4 hp unit I'd give you. There is nothing wrong with it, but it is about a 15 year old unit. I used it exclusively until this last year when I bought a 1 1/2 hp Hitachi unit. It's really a pretty darn nice drill press. I'd give it to you free just so I'd have you "owing" me a favor. ;)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Somehow I think 'owing Dargo' is not a position that I would want to be in!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
The Ryobi looked to be very basic in comparision but the Ryobi 12" (for $149) was feature packed.
Nothing like "after the fact advice" but if you are doing much in the 1/2" hole size (as opposed to 1/8" etc.) I'd consider the extra $50 for the 12" model well spent; I think the 240RPMs would be very favorable for bigger holes. Not sure I believe it, but if it does have a heavier motor that's a good thing too.

Of course, for occasional use, I guess it doesn't matter much anyway.

Also, I was serious earlier that you get what you pay for with bits.

Happy drilling!:rolleyes:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Av8r_2230 said:
That picture should be in th MLR!!
:confused: For the "more power" factor?

By coincidence though, I think a link I posted there a while back does have some interesting pictures of the mixer Bob mentioned....with some serious "drill" bits attached.:puke1: :D

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Somehow I think 'owing Dargo' is not a position that I would want to be in!

Gee, now you've hurt my feelings. Who am I to call now if I end up getting lost on the wrong side of Chicago? Last time I got lost on Florida Street (or something like that), I thought I was going to have to become a permanent resident. :eek:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well maybe we can work out an even trade? How about a Nordic Trac Ellipictal Machine for a Drill Press? Just don't tell the lovely Mrs_B what happened to her rarely used machine. :whistle:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Hey Bob, I honestly have a Sears Craftsman 3/4 hp unit I'd give you. There is nothing wrong with it, but it is about a 15 year old unit. I used it exclusively until this last year when I bought a 1 1/2 hp Hitachi unit. It's really a pretty darn nice drill press. I'd give it to you free just so I'd have you "owing" me a favor. ;)
If you don't work something out with Bob, how about you list it in the classifieds so I can bid on it?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, seriously I am not looking for a floor press, it is way more than I need and even more than I want. Work out a deal with Dargo. I'll be happy with my little benchtop press.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Brian, seriously I am not looking for a floor press, it is way more than I need and even more than I want. Work out a deal with Dargo. I'll be happy with my little benchtop press.
Dargo didn't mention it was a floor version. :confused:
Brent - is it a floor or bench model?
If floor, can it be mounted in a tire rim or something or is it looking to be attached to the concrete?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'm guessing it is a floor unit. 2 reasons: We are talking about Dargo! -and- it is a 3/4 hp unit, that implies it is a larger capacity, probably at least 15" and those are typically floor units.