• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

'63 Thiokol 600 series sprocket wear

gurs

Hey, found this forum by luck..Hope someone can help me. My sprockets on my 63 Thiokol are slowly disintegrating. The composite teeth are chunking and flaking off. The cat sat for almost 10 yrs before I fully restored it. They were fine at first. Then after about 20 hrs in the winter backcountry I started to notice the wear. Do they get brittle over time? Will the sprocket wear down to nothing? what can I do to stop it from wearing away? any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks:sad:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you should get rid of the cat. I'd be willing to take it off your hands. :thumb: :rolleyes:

More seriously, check with Boggie. He may be able to answer your question and can definately supply you with new/better sprockets, if needed.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
This is what happens... look at it! Horrible!
Boggie! We need you to use that virgin-6-sprocket to make us all some new ones... what's it going to take??? Do it for the poor sprockets! :clap:

Attachments

• wore_out.jpg
    wore_out.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 329

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
To do it up *really* proper... that is, to do it in such a way that the sprocket rubber does not remain stationary while the interior hub spins (this happens to the guys that take them and use them for off-roading/moose-hunting more than snow due to torque, obviously), then put a plexiglass liner with rods that penetrate the rubber and attach to the hub. Some of these are on their way to the Mainer via slow-moose.

Attachments

• hardcore.jpg
    hardcore.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 337

gurs

Thanks, Although mines not as bad as "Mainers"... YET. I'm sure it will get there eventually. I'll give "Boggie" a jingle.:smile:

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
This is what happens... look at it! Horrible!
Boggie! We need you to use that virgin-6-sprocket to make us all some new ones... what's it going to take??? Do it for the poor sprockets! :clap:

Thats a sprocket??? I thougth it was a tire.:dizzy:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It will be awhile before we get to these. just been too busy with other things in the meantime if someone wanting to try a test.

Go buy a solid forklift tire/wheel combo and take it to someone with a 5 axis waterjet machine and have them cut the profile into the wheel. not as good but it will work.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Thats a sprocket??? I thougth it was a tire.:dizzy:

Exactly! You see what the mainer has to put up with to get a piece of kit? Buy the scrap heaps laying about...side of road...back of junk pile... walking the earth like Kane... listening for those faint cries of old Thiokols yearning for restoration... :bonk: Yes, an obvious glutten for punishment...

Snowcat Pat

Go buy a solid forklift tire/wheel combo and take it to someone with a 5 axis waterjet machine and have them cut the profile into the wheel. not as good but it will work.[/QUOTE](quote from boggie-I don't know how to use this forums' features properly I guess)

Or use a hole saw in a milling machine, cut halfway through for each tooth, then flip it over to hole saw from the other side, then relieve the corners with a sawsall.
Thats is how some of the Florida swamper builders make sprockets using the bonded steel/rubber forklift wheel.
-Pat