• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best "pocketable" camera?

Gatorboy

California said:

I'll provide a picture. This is a self-portrait taken while looking for a Christmas tree to cut down. Taken with my wife's Canon A620.

71415291.jpg

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I received my Casio today.

Brent The only manual I received is titled "Basic Reference" and it tells me how to do very basic things. Did you get an advanced manual?

If I'm not mistaken, it was about the same size as the camera, possibly a bit thicker. I can look later, but I thought there was a manual that was even a bit thicker than the one that came with the 5 mp Casio I gave my son.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My knowledge of camera settings is pretty low. It appears the options are the same as Mrs. Zoom's A-630 so I can just use her manual. It just surprised me that it didn't have one.

elsmitro

floppy member
I’m no photofile but I do know THESE were creating a lot of buzz at the latest Las Vegas Tech convention (and best of all their cheap).

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just took a quick look. Those are mini-camcorders and don't take still photos.

elsmitro

floppy member
Hmm, well if your into that kind of stuff it's probably pretty easy to snip images for pictures out of the videos.?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
I'll provide a picture. This is a self-portrait taken while looking for a Christmas tree to cut down. Taken with my wife's Canon A620.

71415291.jpg

Did they arrest that criminal caught on the game camera stealing Christmas trees?? :yum: :yankchain:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
California said:
OK, took a couple hundred pics today. Mainly bunker but set at 5M so too big to upload.

I set the camera to its lowest resolution and took a couple pics. Pardon the scene but it's what I had available at the time.

Attachments

• CIMG0169.JPG
    CIMG0169.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 68
  • CIMG0172.JPG
    CIMG0172.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 70

Gatorboy

bczoom said:
OK, took a couple hundred pics today. Mainly bunker but set at 5M so too big to upload.

I suggest always using the largest setting. You can always reduce the size of the image.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
I suggest always using the largest setting. You can always reduce the size of the image.

Holy cow! I've done at least one thing right!! :eek: :cool2:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought the Casio EX-Z1000 for myself but haven't received it yet.
OK, here we are over 7 years later.

No idea what happened to Mrs. Zooms camera(s) and I think the kids each went through a couple but that Casio is still running strong.

I just rolled over 10,000 pictures with it. The bad part is I can't change how the files are named so it just rolled over to CIMG0001. Well, that's also the name of the first pic I took with this camera.

It looks like the Exilim is a decent product since you can still buy them.

I will say that my new phone probably takes better pictures so it's now used as much as the camera.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I keep pics from each year in a different folder ... 2013 2014 etc etc. So the numbering issue would never be a prob unless I took over 10k pics in one year. :eek: That's sure not going to happen.
I rarely take my camera out anymore, I use my smartphone. That is the best answer to the question: what is the best pocket camera today ....a smartphone.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I rarely take my camera out anymore, I use my smartphone. That is the best answer to the question: what is the best pocket camera today ....a smartphone.
Never really looked into the details but there was something about the metadata in the smart phones where it provides location of where the pic was taken. There's times I don't want location information retained or shared.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Never really looked into the details but there was something about the metadata in the smart phones where it provides location of where the pic was taken. There's times I don't want location information retained or shared.

That is a concern.

I saw a program on TV about it a while back. I think that it was 60 Minutes. I can't remember all the details but they had one of their secretaries take pictures of her little boy at home, in preschool and at the local park and post them on Facebook. They had some computer guy download the photos and he was able to come up with the locations where each of the photos was shot. I find that scary!!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
True BC. I saw the same report Frank mentions above on 60 minutes. I rarely want the location the pic was taken to be embedded in the pic meta data, so I simply turn that off. It is off all the time unless I turn it on.
For my phone (iPhone) just go to location services. I can leave it on for weather or map sites and turn it off for pics, or I can turn it off for all location services. Easy to do once you know.
I suspect if you google location services and your particular smart phone that you will find instructions on how to view your current settings, and toggle it on or off as you wish.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my old sony pocket phone came with a gps . I kept it off but you could load pictures at home and view the location on google earth. it was another useless feature for me.
it wasn't a good one and was discontinued. the non gps sony I have now seems good.
I cant compare any because I always buy sony.
jim