• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Zoom high speed internet

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
my speed.jpg

I never understand this test.
What are the good or bad numbers?

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

We all knew you were a fast lady. :yum::yum::yum:

Me, I'm still on WiFi. But hey, it's still so much faster than dial-up (about 40 times faster) that I'm not complaining. We still have a land line because cellular out here doesn't work unless you are standing in 2 particular spots in the driveway. We do have satellite though but I'm not a real big TV watcher. I do envy you guys your internet access though. Maybe one day ......

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
We all knew you were a fast lady. :yum::yum::yum:

Me, I'm still on WiFi. But hey, it's still so much faster than dial-up (about 40 times faster) that I'm not complaining. We still have a land line because cellular out here doesn't work unless you are standing in 2 particular spots in the driveway. We do have satellite though but I'm not a real big TV watcher. I do envy you guys your internet access though. Maybe one day ......

Frank!!!!!!!!!:hammer:
I really don't know what those numbers mean unless someone breaks them down and explains them.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
View attachment 46406

I never understand this test.
What are the good or bad numbers?

PG,

The ping you want low. Yours is good.
The Download you want high. That is the amount of MB's per second you can pull files into your computer.
The Upload you want high also. That is the amount of MB's per second you can send files out.

You have good numbers.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
PG,

The Download you want high. That is the amount of MB's per second you can pull files into your computer.
The Upload you want high also. That is the amount of MB's per second you can send files out.

You have good numbers.

Thank you Steve. :smile:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
PG,

You have good numbers.

So Mines really good then , right ? :sad:

880835814.png

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had dial up for many years at home. Now I have a 1.5 meg line that I think is slow. Wished I had one of them larger ones.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought I,d update this , since they just upped my speed a bit . I dont really understand what this means . But hopefully for another 15 bucks a month its better . I haven,t really had a chance to see if its any faster though from my earlier post . Any thoughts :biggrin:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not bad Cowboy. Off peak hours I would expect it to be a little better. This speed is fast enough for watching a movie or tv show real time via netflix or hulu. :thumb:
If you wanna see a fast time look at Gatorboys post further up the page. Now that's FAST!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's mine:

Attachments

• speedtest_9-1-10.png
    speedtest_9-1-10.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 135

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Perty interesting seeing others , Looks like mine still sucks compared to everyone elses :hammer: . I,m curious what the deal is on the ping # mine seems way higher then anyone elses ?

My wifes working from home this morning using wireless through my line & she said it seems much faster to her . I cant tell any difference :sad: .

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn,t realize it could change accrding to the time of day . i just checked it again & it got a bit better :clap:

I still dont understand what ping is or why mines much higher then everyone elses :sad:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is mine for today Cowboy. This will make you feel a bit better. I'm using an air card (it uses the cell phone towers to satellite for communications) Better than dial up but slow. You beat all my numbers. :D

Ping is a communications test. It sends a packet from your computer to a known destination and that destination responds, so it's a round trip test of how long it takes a packet (bit of data) to leave your computer and get acknowledgment that it was received on the target computer. The lower the number the quicker the connection.

Notice from my speedtest it defaulted to Tampa even though I'm sitting in WV. My signal is going through space and back. LOL

Attachments

• speedtest_aircard_9-2-10.png
    speedtest_aircard_9-2-10.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 122

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is mine for today Cowboy. This will make you feel a bit better. I'm using an air card (it uses the cell phone towers to satellite for communications) Better than dial up but slow. You beat all my numbers. :D

Ping is a communications test. It sends a packet from your computer to a known destination and that destination responds, so it's a round trip test of how long it takes a packet (bit of data) to leave your computer and get acknowledgment that it was received on the target computer. The lower the number the quicker the connection.

Notice from my speedtest it defaulted to Tampa even though I'm sitting in WV. My signal is going through space and back. LOL

:wow:Thanks for the xplain Doc , I hate to say it but it really does make me feel better :yum: :hide::beer:.

AndyM

Charter Member
BIMP!

We currently have DSL through our local phone company, along with telephone service. We're paying $64.99 a month for 6 Mbps service and it includes local and unlimited long distance telephone service. Once you figure in the taxes and fees, $64.99 turns into $85.98 per month. We're trying to cut unnecessary expenses, so being that we both have cell phones, the land line isn't really needed, but it doesn't appear the phone company will offer DSL by itself. So, now I'm looking at Zoom internet... Nixon, bczoom, and others in the area... what is your current opinion of service, price, etc? I just want an internet connection fast enough to play Netflix (10 mbps I assume is good, since 6 is working with my DSL). I'm not interested in Armstrong's cable services, or Dish Network of any kind.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
10 mb is what I have now that they updated all the wires from the mux to my place. With unlimited long distance it runs $72 a month with all the taxes included. It is nice to have a land line for 911 as the cell numbers are not as accurate for location etc. We have enhanced 911 and it will send EMS or fire right to my door.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My internet is running at $39.95.
1st phone is $34.95 (2nd is $24.95, 3rd is $4.50).

My statement doesn't say which speed of internet we're running but we've gone through 53G from 8/15 to today. In general, it flies. We can run 5-6 computers/iPads... plus a couple TV's and 2 phones going on all at once and nobody will notice a slowdown.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My internet is running at $39.95.
1st phone is $34.95 (2nd is $24.95, 3rd is $4.50).

That is extremely expensive voip phone fees.
You can get your internet and cable from zoom or any cable company but it is not always a good idea to package your phone with the same company.

I have time warner and at the time i switched from conventional phone to voip vonage was a good deal. it was 24 bucks a month while time warners was 34 per month. Then after a year with vonage I found about about Voipo http://www.voipo.com/ they were at 11 bucks a month with all fees included. Now Voipo is running a special where if you switch to them you get two years of service for $129. :eek: That works out to a little over 5 bucks per month. Of course you get free long distance along with caller ID and other features all included for that low price. Worth checking out for sure. They have business packages too, where you can get multiple lines.