• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

'84 BR100: accurate weight?

boneyard

Hello! I have an '84 BR100 that is set up from the factory for grooming. It looks exactly like this (but in full color):
http://www.safetyoneinc.com/specsheets/bombi.br100.1.html

I am trailer shopping, and I would like to get the lightest possible trailer that can safely handle this machine. It will get moved around Colorado a lot, towed by various trucks.

My question: Folks have told me that snowcat manufacturers are prone to underestimating the weight of their vehicles, for various reason. The spec sheet says my machine weighs exactly 4000 lbs with u-blade and tracksetter. Should I trust this figure, or should I figure on closer to 5000 lbs, or more??

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most spec sheets will presume that the machine is empty. Add fuel at about 8 to 9 pounds per gallon (so another 100# pounds is not unreasonable). Add the weight of chains to hold the machine to the trailer (75# is pretty reasonable). Add the weight of any other tools, supplies, etc that you are going to put on the trailer or into the cabin of the machine. It can be pretty easy to come up with 350 to 500 extra pounds by the time you are done with small additions like these.

Don't forget that with the trailer capacity you have to DEDUCT the weight of the trailer itself. So if you get a 7000# dual axle trailer that is lightly built, it might weigh about 1000# leaving you with a theoretical 5500# capacity. But if you get a well made 7000# trailer it could easily weigh 1500# leaving you with a theoretical hauling capacity of about 5000#.

bill w

i would look for a double axle,lightweight trailer.with 3500 lb axles....gives you 7000 lbs minus the weight of the trailer.i would stay away from the double axle snowmachine trailers with the small tires.even tho they say they will haul your weight,the little tires will spin at about 100 mph when you are doing 55 with your pull truck.you see the tires all over the road where they blew off..plus the double axles will distibute the weight better and will pull staight.while your machine may only weigh about 4500 lbs dry...after you fill it with fuel,pack it with snow,etc it'll weigh a lot more. bill w

boneyard

Thanks for the replys. Yes, a "deckover car hauler" seems like it would do the job, but it will be close to maxed out.

The PJ light duty 20' deckover weighs 2,410 lbs, the BR 100 weighs 4000+, that puts me at 6400+ lbs plus accessories on a 7000 lb trailer. Seems like I may be pushing it. Which leaves me still wondering how much my machine actually weighs...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you need a 20' trailer for a BR100?

Seems like a shorter trailer would be lighter, would carry the snowcat, and would give you a bit more capacity.

boneyard

I've been looking for an 18', but PJ just gives the weight for the 20'.

The BR100 is 17.5 feet from the tip of the U-blade to the end of the compactor bar.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
This is what I use . The 20' is rated for 12000 pounds and hauls really nice . www.starlitetrailers.com .I picked it up new in Okalhoma City for $2500 but that was about 5 years ago . The over deck 16' cost me $500 used and handles a 4000 pound load . It also carries the load nice .
I would look for a 12000 rated trailer if I was limited to just one .
JMO

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 1169.jpg
    1169.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 219

brianf

I went over scale and my br100 was just over 3400 lbs this is without the blade,so add the weight of blade and you should still be under 4000 lbs