Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > Tools & Tractor Implements Forum

Old 05-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,219 Times in 632 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Shopping for new pressure washer

A couple highlights that were lost.

When you look at brands, do an internet search for who owns the company. This helps in that you get an idea of the quality of the companies products as well as their sister companies who may have a similar product that may be offered at lower prices (because of the name brand it carries). Some pressure washers seem to have an identity crisis. E.g. Mine is a Troy Bilt. The plate on it says owned by Briggs & Stratton yet it has a Honda engine. To further complicate its identity, MTD owns Troy Bilt so why does it say Briggs & Stratton?

Just found this which may help:
https://pressurewashr.com/best-pressure-washer-brands/

Can you give us an idea of your main projects? If cleaning machinery and cars, I'm thinking you're looking at too big of washer. Anything over about 2500 PSI or 2.5 GPM may damage whatever you're spraying, especially painted surfaces or things not intended to get a lot of PSI (e.g. engine compartments). If you're using something as powerful as you're looking, be sure to stand back a bit and/or use the wider/widest angle nozzle. The jet nozzle will easily take paint off on even the small washers.

If you're still considering a Generac, look at their different models. The one you originally selected isn't one of their better models.
Doc  (05-04-2018), jim slagle  (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,167 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Bczoom, I think that we may have the same Troy Bilt power washer. I never realized it had an identity crisis. I will treat it more kindly and sympathetically in the future. :)

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
Doc  (05-04-2018), jim slagle  (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 11,220 Times in 4,696 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

Thanks Brian. I appreciate your insights and the link (I searched but had not found that one). Great info.
I see why you simply said: Buy the Simpson. LOL

Much like when I bought a tractor with a FEL, I'm not sure what my main projects with the pressure washer will be. I know I have plenty of equipment to clean, plus cars n trucks, plus side by sides. I also will do the siding on the house once or twice a year. Plus the boat every week or two. Cleaning the concrete is the only project that I have heard needs full pressure.

So I plan to buy the higher pressure pressure washer and use the nozzles to back it down depending on the task.

Thanks again Brian, your info helped.

Other Fun Forums:

Weekend Mudders + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 05-07-2018, 07:39 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 1,095 Times in 466 Posts
Bamby will become famous soon enough

I have personally used several different pressure washers. On the electric ones there simply isn't any choice the come with a simple on / off switch. But as of yet all the gasoline ones have come with a adjustable throttle that could be utilized to adjust pressure output for the task at hand. I run mine a lot at half to two thirds power unless full pressure is really needed.
“A country’s people may be subjugated to the decisions of their government, but they have their own lives and values — and deserve more than being held to the same ethical judgments we hold to their leaders.”

Last edited by Bamby; 05-07-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2018, 08:05 AM
Forum Admin

Right on Bamby. That is how my old electric power washer worked. It was 1300 psi.

Last night I ordered this simpson from home depot. Simpson
PowerShot 3,300 PSI 2.5 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Powered by Honda
Reliable high performance premium HONDA GX200 Engine
Maintenance free AAA Triplex Pump with PowerBoost Technology
Flexible and kink resistant MorFlex Polyester hose

I will pick it up at the store later this week. They would have shipped to my home for free but I read of to many shipped to the home that had oil all over the inside, and or the box damaged. So I will check inside the box before I leave the store.

Other Fun Forums:

Old 05-07-2018, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds good Doc. Since we're spending your money, if that one only has a 25' hose, you may want to splurge and get something longer. I think mine is 25' and it's a PITA sometimes like when washing something large like the truck. It's hard to wash the whole truck without having to move the pressure washer so you can get the hose all the way around.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 1,095 Times in 466 Posts
Bamby will become famous soon enough

Pick yourself up some extra O-rings that are used in the nozzle and hose end fittings. And you may want to consider getting another length of pressure hose. If it's available choose the smooth skinned shinny hose it cleans so much easier at the end of the day and it's a lot easier to pull around all day to boot.
“A country’s people may be subjugated to the decisions of their government, but they have their own lives and values — and deserve more than being held to the same ethical judgments we hold to their leaders.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Bamby For This Useful Post:
Doc  (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 08:42 AM
Forum Admin

I was planning on a longer pressure hose. Thanks for the O-ring suggestion. I will pick up some of those while I'm at the store.

Other Fun Forums:

Old 05-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

To keep your O-rings running for a very long time, lubricate them with Vaseline (or some kind of petroleum jelly). I'm still on the original set and it's probably been 15 years.