• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Exhaust Manifold needed for Bombardier J5

MaineBombi

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a major engine rebuild on my 1960s vintage J5 with original Chrysler engine. Just got the engine out today and found that the manifold is completely shot. My mechanics suggested I start looking for a replacement myself because they don't know where to find one themselves. Any help?

Also, while I'm at it... how about suggestions for a muffler replacement?

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:

MaineBombi

Thanks for the link Pixie (or should I say, neighbor!).

Fortunately the dataplate is still on my engine, so I'll take a look tomorrow and call Vintage Power Wagon. But I'm curious... the manifold on mine is orientated to channel the exhaust up, but wouldn't an engine in a Dodge truck direct it down?

Confused :)

Steve

the old trucker

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a major engine rebuild on my 1960s vintage J5 with original Chrysler engine. Just got the engine out today and found that the manifold is completely shot. My mechanics suggested I start looking for a replacement myself because they don't know where to find one themselves. Any help?

Also, while I'm at it... how about suggestions for a muffler replacement?

Thanks!

Steve

Another couple of places for you to check out are p15-d24.com

& robertsmotorparts.com . This place I believe is in Maine.

They deal in old chrysler parts. Good luck !!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
MaineBombi

I don't know why there are different exhaust manifolds. I have seen 3 different arrangements. The Power wagon guys should know. The one in my avatar has a downward exit and then it goes out the back wall and up behind the fan guard. This means it passes a gas line fairly close......

As for a muffler, if it was me, I'd ask the guys at the auto parts store to find a short cherry bomb type or any short muffler that was the right diameter.

aulen2002

Thanks for the link Pixie (or should I say, neighbor!).

Fortunately the dataplate is still on my engine, so I'll take a look tomorrow and call Vintage Power Wagon. But I'm curious... the manifold on mine is orientated to channel the exhaust up, but wouldn't an engine in a Dodge truck direct it down?

Confused :)

Steve

My J5 manifold points down, but the pipe immediately doubles back up vertically.

MaineBombi

I've poked around a bit and seen a couple others, including a J-5 for sale just up the road a bit, and it appears many of the J-5s had their exhaust system rerouted instead of trying to get an updraft manifold. I take that as a very bad sign that I can purchase one :D

I talked to Vintage Powerwagon. The parts guy, Jens, knows exactly what I'm talking about... but no idea where to get one. Another bad sign! Based on the type of crack to mine he suggested that I use a repair kit they sell. $80 is a lot cheaper than even a stock downdraft manifold, so I bought the kit. Fingers crossed that will do the trick!

Thanks for the help!

Steve

the old trucker

I do not have a j5 or manifold. I know where you may get a manifold for a 251 with the exhaust pointing up. I was looking @ it & it was for sale for $ 100.00. CDN. It's in Newfoundland, Canada.

MaineBombi

Yes, mine has a downdraft. I'm not sure if it is a 250 or 251. I'll see if I can find out today, but it might be inaccessible for a few days.

The Old Trucker,

I'm very interested in any info you can provide about the updraft manifold. I'm not sure this kit is going to work, even though it should. Newfoundland is almost next door to me :D

Thanks,

Steve

the old trucker

Sorry, I don't know much about exhaust manifolds. My friend needed a manifold for his old bombardier c18 snow machine with the 251 Chrysler. I found out about one, but discovered it had the exit pointing up. When I went to see it to see if it would work, he was after finding another with the exit pointing down.
Just what we were looking for !!! For an added bonus it had the intake bolted to it & for $125 bucks with no cracks !!