• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

430LB Buck. Biggest one I've seen

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Edit to fix: Shot in Wisconsin on a game farm. Thanks Bamby.

Attachments

• 430PoundBuckShotInHartfordMI122314.jpg
    430PoundBuckShotInHartfordMI122314.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 152

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wonder if the weight is before or after field dressing out...

In either case, DANG that is a big buck!!:wow:

Fat enough to have been some one's pet as well....

Regards, Kirk

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Game Farm and Note Date on Article Here: Field & Stream
Good source validation. IMO, game farm hunting is in the same camp as people who fish for trout in private trout streams or trout farms where the trout are fed fish chow on a regular basis to get fattened up, and will hit any fly that comes by their nose. I have taught youth fly fishing classes at the Castelia Hatchery in NW Ohio for many years, and have fished the waters in the below video many times. Before fishing I always cut the hook off at the bend to prevent actually hooking the fish. One time I had a friend time me, and I had 20 hookups in one minute. Like the hunter who worked for 11 days to get that big buck, trophy trout in these streams get to be trophy size by not being dumb. You have to work your butt off to get the trophy fish like getting the trophy buck. But, IMO, it's not really testing your skill as a "hunter" or a "fisherman" by utilizing these facilities. Like trout farm fish, I have to wonder how that big, old, fat buck tasted. Trout farm fish taste like fish chow.:yum::hammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGdk-Dxe6XI

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for digging and checking it out. :tiphat: That deer just did not look right, like Kirk said. Way to much back fat.

Glink

Site Supporter
But day'um; that is some serious horn. Just to know they can get that big is an eye opener.

Golf courses and graveyards; that the ticket.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my small 5pt elk dressed 370 this year. you think a possible hand picked,raised and bred whitetail would be better eating?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my small 5pt elk dressed 370 this year. you think a possible hand picked,raised and bred whitetail would be better eating?

I think that as in all meats it depends on the diet of the animal. Here in Iowa, a corn fed whitetail would taste alot different than one in South Dakota that feeds on grass and wild sage.

If the deer in the OP was being fed a ration of corn and protein and grass to suit, it could be a very nice tasting deer. But maybe not because of age. Older animals aren't generally thought of as the best eating ones...

How it was when shot makes a difference as well, as a scared, overheated and well run animal is not what you want. Also how well the meat was handled, and how soon it was cleaned and chilled are important to..

So it depends is the best answer IMHO...

Regards, Kirk