• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Would you take in a Japanese family?

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
There are hundreds of thousands living in temporary shelters. Entire towns wiped out. Where will they go? Where will they live?

If you had the opportunity to provide them with food clothing and shelter - by letting a family live with you for free - would you volunteer?

Just long enough - until they can go back home and move into their rebuilt home? And continue on being a productive member of society?

I would do it without thinking about it.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Yes 100%.....never had a problem with honest in need folk....i would happily open my home to a family in honest need.

Would i buy a Toyota......no......jap crap with no soul.....a car maker that does because it can not if it should.

would i bet against mother nature......no....i have respect for her.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
There are hundreds of thousands living in temporary shelters. Entire towns wiped out. Where will they go? Where will they live?

If you had the opportunity to provide them with food clothing and shelter - by letting a family live with you for free - would you volunteer?

Just long enough - until they can go back home and move into their rebuilt home? And continue on being a productive member of society?

In a heartbeat..

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm sure I would, but that's hypothetical. It would cost more to transport them here, then transport them back to Japan, than it would to house them in my modest abode. Not a practical use of charitable resources.

OTOH, we could start a relief fund at FF, but that would take some doing from Doc, and I'm not sure he has the time to do it.

Alternatively, there's the Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/

And if you don't like that charity, perhaps we could start a list of charities here that FF folks have had success with, and folks can hopefully donate with a better sense that their $ is going to the right place.

Waddya'll think?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I based my answer on the hypothetical Jim.
Say I could magically have one family land in my abode.
One thing is for sure.. I could probably feed them, and I know I could look out for them as far as basic medical concerns are.

One can dream big in times like this. ;)

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sure I would, but that's hypothetical. It would cost more to transport them here, then transport them back to Japan, than it would to house them in my modest abode. Not a practical use of charitable resources.

OTOH, we could start a relief fund at FF, but that would take some doing from Doc, and I'm not sure he has the time to do it.

And if you don't like that charity, perhaps we could start a list of charities here that FF folks have had success with, and folks can hopefully donate with a better sense that their $ is going to the right place.

Waddya'll think?

Hypothetically speaking ... yes I would accept a Japanese family in to my home. Heavens knows, over the years, I have accepted friends coming to visit. I think 4 months was the longest but there have been a couple of 2-monthers in there too.

I belong to Rotary and we have an exchange program with Japan every year. Rotary International is organizing now to send aid to be delivered through Japanese Rotary Clubs. It'll be interesting to see how the dollars start to pile up.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter

I would in a heartbeat, got a huge house with nobody really living in it. I would bet they would love it as well, as long as they don't feed the bears....
:yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If they could learn to eat pork I could learn to eat more fish. But not raw! As to housing folks in need we could easily accommodate them and certainly would have no problem feeding them. They may need to find a home here if the nuke situation gets too bad over there.

Lia

Banned
In a New york second! I don't think that any decent, caring human being (and I don't know any other kind on this forum), would refuse such a request.

jpr, the 'Red Cross' would certainly be the organization to deal with the semantics of travel plans, etc. They're generally the first to arrive at the scene of a crisis...

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter

Waddya'll think?

Yup I agree , the thoughts a nice one but not very realistic IMHO . We have allways helped through the local Red Cross as we can .

Not sure how it works for most folks but our local grocier & the Red
Cross have been organised in the stores parking lot & collecting all types of donations , cash , clothing & consumables since the day after the quake . According to my wife its been quite a success & lots of local support .

Thats the good thing about the small towns , folks come together in times of need no matter what the cause is just to help out when they can . :wink:

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
An interesting proposal I read in a comment to an article
35 million f'ing people are about to become homeless inTokyo when all hell breaks loose. We have 7-8 million homes in foreclosure (back of the envelope calculations from last year's memory so correct me if I'm wrong).
USA cuts a deal with Japan. COMPLETE forgiveness of all UST's in exchange (+ every ounce of gold you got) for the houses and settlement priviliges for all Japanese refugees.
Japan takes care of their people. USA wipes out debt. Everyone wins. (Except for the predatory speculators) http://www.zerohedge.com/article/se...eve-japanese-calamity-will-prove-positive-gdp

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
The question begs to be asked; If we would be willing to house a Japanese family who have lost it all because of the tsunami and earthquakes, why are we not opening our homes to the people right here who have lost it all through no fault of their own? Are they any less worthy of our generosity and compassion because of our economic meltdown? It's easy to reach out to the suffering in front of our eyes, while so many in need are hidden within our own shadows. I'm not trying to make anyone fell guilty, but we need to take care of our own first before reaching out to others. Think of the safety talk on every commercial flight; "Place the mask over YOUR mouth and nose before assisting others."

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The question begs to be asked; If we would be willing to house a Japanese family who have lost it all because of the tsunami and earthquakes, why are we not opening our homes to the people right here who have lost it all through no fault of their own? Are they any less worthy of our generosity and compassion because of our economic meltdown? It's easy to reach out to the suffering in front of our eyes, while so many in need are hidden within our own shadows. I'm not trying to make anyone fell guilty, but we need to take care of our own first before reaching out to others. Think of the safety talk on every commercial flight; "Place the mask over YOUR mouth and nose before assisting others."

Some of us have ...:flowers:

SShepherd

BAM!!!!!:clap:

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter

This is a troll post. And I'm certain you know it too. You usually have something intelligent to add. How you can compare what has happened in Japan to the economic meltdown to me is idiotic. The economic melt down did NOT wipe out 50,000 Physical homes - did not kill up to 25,000 people - and did NOT create the worst nuclear disaster in the history of nuclear power. What rock are you living under? Maybe if we all get under that rock maybe the realities of what is really going on in Japan will go away.

Troll succeeded as being troll.