• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Emergency Power

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I am looking to add some emergency power capabilities to the house for the winter. Due to the fact that we are out in the middle of nowhere, when the power goes out, we are far down the priority list. Currently, I own a 5000W gasoline generator, and I plan to purchase a transfer circuit that will allow me to run the furnace (oil fired) and the water well. What I would like to add is a battery bank to allow some minimal general lighting (12VDC) and power the internet connection (wireless) and the laptops. The options for charging the battery bank are probably solar and a small 1000W wind turbine. Solar in northern Illinois in the winter is probably questionable, but the wind turbine is more expensive (really good winds though in the winter).

I guess I am just looking for any kind of information of specific experience as well as general brainstorming of any options you can think of.

Dave

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave,

Why battery power? Are you going to run things at 12v DC or run through an inverter to 110v AC?

How about a bigger generator? I have a couple 200,000w generators I may be selling in the near future. I figure it'll power 8-10 houses. :eek:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Why battery power? Are you going to run things at 12v DC or run through an inverter to 110v AC?

Yes, I plan on an inverter for some things, as well as direct wiring to 12VDC for some things (laptop, wireless router). I think this would be mre effective than a larger generator, because I then don't need to run the generator 100%. Turning on the generator to fire the furnace up and charge up the well pressure tank is simple to do every hour or so.

Although, once I start running the numbers for capital equipment and installation cost, a 15KW generator might indeed be the most cost effective method for the 30 or so hours per year I might need the system.

bczoom said:
How about a bigger generator? I have a couple 200,000w generators I may be selling in the near future. I figure it'll power 8-10 houses. :eek:

I'll give ya $1,000 in small denomination, non-sequential numbered, used, unmarked US currency for one of em. :moon:

Dave

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I get it now. Batteries/inverters so you don't need to run the generator.

I have 2 battery/inverter setups. I use these all over the place and like having them around. Run power tools in remote places, lighting around a campfire... In the winter, I keep one setup in the house, next to the woodstove. If the power goes out, I need ele. to the woodstove fans quickly to avoid overheating.

I don't recall all the numbers, but if you get a good size deep-cycle marine battery and connect to an inverter, you can run small items (lights and such) for a very long (maybe days) without recharging.

If I was on generator/aux power for longer periods (I'm in the middle of nowhere also), I would just charge the batteries off a 2/10 amp charger and charge it off the generator when it's running.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,
Didn't want to take Dave's thread off topic.
I started a new thread in the classifieds to discuss the generator(s).
Brian