• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Car Shows...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got back from a show I took my 72 T/A to. Like so many other shows around here these days, Some folks have the gall to bring a new or nearly so car to show.....I mean if we can see them on the streets with regularity, or on a dealers show room floor, why bring them to a show?? Today there was even a 3 year old chevy pickup truck in the show...With toally factory stock appointments....... So what is the point? I mean I see trucks like this every day, all day long.....

Anyway if anyone here is in charge of a show, there should be a rule listing how old it must be before entering it. I know a lot of old car guys are fed up to the point they just don't take the old car out, because of all the new iron showing up. Especially the new models that represent old favorites, like the new Mustangs and challengers ect.. They don't belong with 20+ year old and older cars...I wonder what their owners are thinking, other than a chance to "show off" their new iron.....:hammer: End of my rant.....

Regards, Kirk

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Commonly called a show and shine nothing more. You can see these in most towns nation wide about once a month in various parking lots on a Friday or Saturday night with much more interesting vehicles. I stopped attending pay for view car shows years ago when real custom cars and classics stopped showing up for the most part.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep car shows have been turned into a circus these days I,m afraid its all about the almighty dollar IMO . Darrel Starbirds the only one that I,m aware of that even has a show circuit anymore other then the specialized ones .

When Darryl started out he was one hell of a car builder & put on a decent show , but the last 30 years its all about money . I,ve known Darell for years When He used to have his small custom body shop on north 81 hiway just north of Wichita , That was long before he started the shows & moved to Mulvane & also has a museum in Ark city now I beleive . The shows & voting have allways been kind of rigged & they played favorites so they could get the big name cars in from all over while pissing off all of the local carbuilders so they quit even showing anymore .

The last really good show I went to was Ray Farhner show back in the late 80,s in Wichita , One hell of a nice Guy as well as car builder & show promoter . He passed away in 2005 which was a huge loss to the custom industry . Heres a link to a little bit about him if anyone never heard of him . http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Ray_Farhner

Reaper497

Young Buck
Site Supporter
Most of the car shows that take place in our county here have very few cars in them, just the culture I guess. I have seen some beautiful trucks here at these "show and shine" type shows we have 'round here - both old, old beautifully restored pickups to just-off-the-showroom-floor trucks.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Wanna come to the UK and start coming to some of our vintage and classic rallies, the best one of course is The Great Dorset Steam Fair, there you will see all oldies from steam upwards and no modern vehicles and plenty of other attractions from steam driven fairground rides and horse plouging, steam ploughing etc. etc. Try 'googling' the show and you will get an idea. All our shows have an age cut off for vehicles, so the newer ones need not apply!!

Trakternut

Foden Steam Wagons? Anita?

Are their any Foden busses?

I have seen videos from Great Dorset. It looks a grand time.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
around here they specify classic car show and classic cruise night - nothing less than 25 or 30 years old allowed.
There's one in Ottawa in September that's spectacular.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Of course there are Foden steam wagons and various other steam wagons too, and sure there are probably Foden buses. Lots of Foden stuff there, though not my Foden gun tractor, that is parked in my field and hasn't been to Dorset for a few years now. I am taking the Scania with the horsebox on and the Jeep is going this year (inside the box - to be offloaded at the rally).

Trakternut

If you have a photo of the gun tractor, I'd surely like to see!

Were you there when they hauled the massive (160 tons, I believe) up the hill in the "Play Pen" with all the steamers hooked together??

I saw a YouTube vid. Quite the accomplishment.