• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rugerman??

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
you hang in there David. Just remember that it is always darkest just before morning. You can handle this and enjoy a great Spring that is on the way!!! Have a goodun!!!!

rugerman

After 8 blowouts my surgeon shut down that access and put a perm-cath in my right chest (it’s a direct line to my heart) they did a mapping of the veins in my left arm to see if they can put a second access (first one failed due to another surgeon who put it in too deep the first time, went in a second time but still too deep to stick easily, it clotted off. That destroyed most of the veins in that arm. So I am in a holding pattern now.
Thank you for caring David

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
After 8 blowouts my surgeon shut down that access and put a perm-cath in my right chest (it’s a direct line to my heart) they did a mapping of the veins in my left arm to see if they can put a second access (first one failed due to another surgeon who put it in too deep the first time, went in a second time but still too deep to stick easily, it clotted off. That destroyed most of the veins in that arm. So I am in a holding pattern now.

Thanks for the update.

Jim

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I can imagine what your poor arm looks like right now.
Be mindful of infections in the chest port, and don't mess around if that should occur.
Stay strong.

rugerman

Well after 8 blowouts my surgeon shut down that fistula (access) and put a perm-cath in my right chest, they mapped he veins in my left arm (where my first fistula failed-different surgeon (put in in too deep, hard to stick, went back in to bring it closer to surface, still too deep, clotted off. All that surgery destroyed a lot of vascular tissue in that arm, mapping found a vein that is suitable for a new fistula, but it will be a two surgery deal, first surgery, wait til healed (about 7 weeks) then second surgery and gain wait til healed then start using it and perm-cath removed. I am going with a fistula instead of a graph due to graphs being more infection prone than a fistula. Sorry for the long post. David

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck with all that.

My mom had an "infusaport" in her upper right chest and it got infected a couple times before they finally got it right.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well after 8 blowouts my surgeon shut down that fistula (access) and put a perm-cath in my right chest, they mapped he veins in my left arm (where my first fistula failed-different surgeon (put in in too deep, hard to stick, went back in to bring it closer to surface, still too deep, clotted off. All that surgery destroyed a lot of vascular tissue in that arm, mapping found a vein that is suitable for a new fistula, but it will be a two surgery deal, first surgery, wait til healed (about 7 weeks) then second surgery and gain wait til healed then start using it and perm-cath removed. I am going with a fistula instead of a graph due to graphs being more infection prone than a fistula. Sorry for the long post. David

Thanks for the update.

Hope this one works!

Jim

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Your post wasn't long at all. It was very informative.

I really hope this new plan works for you. You're still in my prayers.

rugerman

Folks thanks for the concern and words of encouragement, I am just doing what I have to so I can survive to be able to pay my wife back for all that she has done to take care of me during this long drawn out disease, I should be taking care of her but our roles got reversed. I was down to 5% kidney function, sick as hell, throwing up everything that I ate, her Dad died and I felt like she was about to have a nervous breakdown. I was not going to do dialysis I was just going to go ahead and die, but I had to do something to turn her around so I started dialysis. Now she has taken care of my needs and wants for several years. Strong woman, love the hell out of her, always have and will. The death of our youngest son (today makes 9 years) nearly killed both of us but we pulled tru it together (still hurts to talk about it, kids are supposed to bury their parents not the other way around). Today was a rough day thanks for letting me vent. David

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Folks thanks for the concern and words of encouragement, I am just doing what I have to so I can survive to be able to pay my wife back for all that she has done to take care of me during this long drawn out disease, I should be taking care of her but our roles got reversed. I was down to 5% kidney function, sick as hell, throwing up everything that I ate, her Dad died and I felt like she was about to have a nervous breakdown. I was not going to do dialysis I was just going to go ahead and die, but I had to do something to turn her around so I started dialysis. Now she has taken care of my needs and wants for several years. Strong woman, love the hell out of her, always have and will. The death of our youngest son (today makes 9 years) nearly killed both of us but we pulled tru it together (still hurts to talk about it, kids are supposed to bury their parents not the other way around). Today was a rough day thanks for letting me vent. David

Sorry to hear about the rough day. You deserve better. I’m really glad to hear you’re not alone.

Jim

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I read about your rough day with a tear in my eye.

Yet it gives me strength realizing how strong the human body and spirit really is. God bless you my friend.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I will be the first to admit that it's not easy to keep pushing forward. Keep focused on the love you share with your wife. It's what keeps me going on hard days.

Canadian eh!!!

rugerman

Well after 2 months in the hospital, 8 blow outs of my fistula, they shut it down, put in a perm-cath in my right chest wall, then they mapped my left arm for the possibility of a new fistula in it. Surgeon found a vein that he liked, but due to the depth of the vein it will be a two operation deal, first to make the fistula thenthat has to heal for 4-6 weeks then a second surgery to bring it up so they can stick it. Surgeon was real happy with first surgery, now we wait, but it will be at home. I am real weak, will have to re build my muscles on my own, my insurance decided not to pay for rehab. David

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well after 2 months in the hospital, 8 blow outs of my fistula, they shut it down, put in a perm-cath in my right chest wall, then they mapped my left arm for the possibility of a new fistula in it. Surgeon found a vein that he liked, but due to the depth of the vein it will be a two operation deal, first to make the fistula thenthat has to heal for 4-6 weeks then a second surgery to bring it up so they can stick it. Surgeon was real happy with first surgery, now we wait, but it will be at home. I am real weak, will have to re build my muscles on my own, my insurance decided not to pay for rehab. David

Glad to hear you can wait at home!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

Thoughts and prayers are with you David.

rugerman

I just got back from my surgeon, he is real happy with my new fistula, now we wait for 4-6 weeks for it to mature, then another surgery to bring it close enough to the surface to make it easy to stick for dialysis. Got the staples removed from my old fistula site.
If anything new comes up I will keep you folks informed. Now if you know anyone who wants to lose a few pounds, I can recommend the hospital food diet, in a little over 2 months I lost about 40 pounds with no exercise, just bad food, small portions and dialysis 3 times a week.
All kidding aside I want to thank youfolks for the kind words and concern.
David

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome news. And congrats on the 40 lbs gone. Tough way to do it but a good thing to drop some extra baggage.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
40 lbs? Man, you're my hero. I hope that everything else turns the corner and you get on the straight and narrow. Love bro'.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I just got back from my surgeon, he is real happy with my new fistula, now we wait for 4-6 weeks for it to mature, then another surgery to bring it close enough to the surface to make it easy to stick for dialysis. Got the staples removed from my old fistula site.
If anything new comes up I will keep you folks informed. Now if you know anyone who wants to lose a few pounds, I can recommend the hospital food diet, in a little over 2 months I lost about 40 pounds with no exercise, just bad food, small portions and dialysis 3 times a week.
All kidding aside I want to thank youfolks for the kind words and concern.
David

40 lbs.? Wow, that is a good stroke right there, sir!!

Thoughts and prayers continue from this end. Have a good one. :thumbup:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Couple of updates from David:

June 5
It’s amazing what a little bit of prednisone will do, only been on it for 3 doses, my major joints feel much better, I am able to walk further today (without a walker or a cane) than I have since January when I started my long stay in the hospital. But you have to take the good with the bad, it causes water retention,it’s rough on the stomach, and with me it makes my insomnia worse. Can’t tell if it is helping my eyes yet, right eye seems better, left not so much (still have double vision in it) both are still out of focus
I see my surgeon tomorrow to evaluate how well my new fistula is healing. I will let you know. David

June 6
I went to my surgeon today he was happy with the healing of my new fistula, wants them to start using it on the 25th of this month, then after a week or so if the fistula la working well I will go back to his office the he will remove my cather . When they removed my first catheter my wife was in the exam room when he yanked it out, my wife was amazed at how long it was. Now after 6 months and 11 surgeries to keep this worn out body going j wonder what is next.
Hope you and yours are doing well. David