• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How to silence the Gas Pump TV ads at gas stations

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Believe it or not, not everyone wants to hear your crap, gas stations. And they are often REALLY loud.

I stumbled onto a way to silence them. This worked on both on Shell pumps as well as Marathon pumps in my area.

If you run your finger down the 4 buttons on the right side of the screen, it will mute it; slide them back from bottom to top and it turns it back up. And im sure you dont have to slide them, I am sure you could push them individually in order, but sliding was pretty fast.

I actually stumbled onto it accidentally. The one at the Marathon station was exceptionally loud and I was in a very bad mood. So I just started mashing the buttons randomly to see if one was a mute button and just not labeled. I just happened to hit those buttons in that order and it turned off the volume. Last night I was at a Shell station and decided to try it there too and it worked.

Not saying it will work at all the stations that have the TV sets with commercials playing while you are trying to peacefully pump your gas but it works at some of them :smile:

Figured I would share.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bob.

Thankfully, they don't have those around me. I've run into just a few while traveling and you're right, they sure are annoying.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
The Shell station I have done business with for years is under new ownership and just installed these gas pumps. CNN & ESPN blaring in my friggin' ears. Two cable channels I despise. The mute button does not seem to work as I have pushed it repeatedly to no avail.

If this was my decision, I would just show the regional weather as usually that is of importance to travelers.

I will try your trick next time, much much better and cheaper then my idea of putting a tire iron through the LCD screen :yum::yum: but it will be awhile as I just gassed up my truck yesterday.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The only thing I ever hear at the Marathon station pump here is a music/radio feed that's coming from inside the store, which is also a quicky mart and bbq place.
Haven't heard or noticed this at any other stations.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bob.

Thankfully, they don't have those around me. I've run into just a few while traveling and you're right, they sure are annoying.

None around me either but I have seen them when traveling and you're right, they are annoying.

I just don't understand this modern phenomena that requires you to be surrounded by noise, playing games on a phone or texting everyone and their cat all the time. I had a guy I barely know text me yesterday about where he was having lunch and what he was eating. What the f**k do I care. Thank God he didn't include a picture of it.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
None around me either but I have seen them when traveling and you're right, they are annoying.

I just don't understand this modern phenomena that requires you to be surrounded by noise, playing games on a phone or texting everyone and their cat all the time. I had a guy I barely know text me yesterday about where he was having lunch and what he was eating. What the f**k do I care. Thank God he didn't include a picture of it.

The I'm eating lunch at ?? on Facebook often do include photos. Like you, I could care less.