• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

FT-100D

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Been looking for a small profile 100w all band rig for field use, and found a local ham with a Yaesu FT-100D that he only used for CW ops. Picked it up for $300 and it really sounds great, and I've gotten great signal and voice reports tonight in spite of static crashes from nearby storms and lousy band conditions on 40m. Been running it off of my home brew 40m Double Bazooka tonight just to get a feel around the menu system.

I had a QSO with a guy in Detroit for about 45 minutes about QRP, and we talked on 40m at 1 watt...just for grins & giggles.:w00t2: Only did thta for a minute or so, but it proved it could be done with good antennas in bad conditions.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I need to be treated for this antenna addiction. This is a 40m QRP Carolina Windom I threw together this afternoon. I built a mini 4:1 balun with a 4" scrap ferrite rod and some 20ga. solid zip cord, and a line isolator from another 5/16" x 6" ferrite rod with 10 wraps of RG-8X. It's cobbled together with scraps around the shack, and after running it up in a tree to try it out, I made contacts in Germany, Austria, Hungary and Bosnia...all back-to-back on 5 watts QRP from the go-box in the back yard. I can hardly wait to use it in the morning for QRP in the park with our local club.
BTW, I got the plans from http://www.m0ukd.com/Carolina_Windom/index.php

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Ive got a FT900 I need to get back on the air one of these days.......had an old screwdriver ant. I worked mobile through a lot......when we lived in kansas I built an 80 meter vertical beam that would phase shift to the 4 points ..used to work a lot of phone patches between the polar caps fpr the guys stationed there....lot of fun!! The best treatment for wire fevor is [saturation]!!!! My first contact before my novi days..was with a cats-whisker rig ...made contact with an airline pilot flying between OK...city and st louis mo. would work him CW....three days a week....great fun for a kid.....that is until my dad got a letter telling him he should see to it that I got a ham lisense..or there would be a fine imposed!!!..those days the only place to take the test was in KC.....didnt get there for several years... Had wnouig for a while then WB0UIG for some time then KI0HO as a advansed and sence they were doing away with the advanced ticket I uped to Extra and just kept the advansed call.....I do wish I had kept my old tube rigs had a pare of johnsons and a nice pare of drakes...then got a sb104 ststion from heath and put it together[kits]
and then in Kc I got rid of the heath gear and bought the Ft 900. it sits in the little radio nook waiting for me.......some day.......Again the only cure I know of for wire fevor is total saturation!!!!!