• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowcat Alley - Alta, Utah 1/11/11

AdkSnowcat

I love taking pictures right here! I count thirteen.
SnowcatAlley11111.JPG

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i was watching those snow plow guys on tv today they they have a cool snow cat to plow snow with when i told my wife i needed one of those she just glared at me

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Really, really nice photo! What a great smattering of cats... some 15's, 14's, 12's, a skdzr... but the 4 and 6 remain elusive. ;) Pulse quickened for a sec on the one in the back...but no, just a 12.

AdkSnowcat

You can only see hints of a couple protruding a bit in front of the others. I see thirteen. (I have the close-up photos too, of course!) There's a (from left) group of three, then two (maybe Imps), then a single Imp, then a group of six (you can't see the front of one--it's a Thiokol 2100 shape with a huge passenger cabin on it and one, next to last in the group, you see only a tiny bit of the front grill, then the lone last cat just past some snowmobiles). I have caught that Thiokol with the huge passenger cabin previously in a video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQooNmjMoZc"]YouTube - Ten snowcats parked on backwoods trail. Snowcat Alley?[/ame]

Here is the last photo I took there about a couple weeks ago after a really big snowfall.

SnowcatAlley.JPG

Last edited:

Snowcat Pat

Thank you for that video. That 2100 has the nicest cab I've seen yet! I am so wanting to build a cab like that on our 2100B........... ssssaaweet!

More pics please?

-Pat

AdkSnowcat

I don't have any more photos of that cab--but I do have a couple of Utah snowcat favorites:
AltaSnowcat.JPG

From my first day at Alta. And from one of the first days:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kgaW3wKwD0"]YouTube - DMC1200 Snowcat passing Alta Cross Country skier[/ame]

I'm thinking of doing a triptych oil painting of the DMC1200 in the video (I've been out here taking oil painting lessons).

catservice

I am the very fortunate owner of the super with the rocket box on the top. My father purchased a cabin up here in the late 70's. What an awesome place the Albion Basin is!!:clap:

zspryte

Site Supporter
Looking at the cats in snowcat alley, it appears that if you get loads of light fluffy snow, Thiokol (or its decendents) is the way to go. At least for the snow cats normal folks can afford. There is one Bombi in there right?

Hey, while Kristi's have a track pressure about .5 psi - in a deep dump of light fluffy stuff, say like 10 feet of Alta fluff, would a Kristi float enough to be able to see above the snow surface? They are not very tall.

AdkSnowcat

I didn't see any Bombi's in there. I think that is Utah Thiokol land through and through!

I just checked the Alta snow fall measure--they still haven't gotten past 497" of snowfall so far this season. (I think they got 590" last season.) I bet they get more snow soon!

catservice

Here comes the snow!! Just came off the mountain tonight and the snow is falling. There is one skidozer, lots of thiokol flavors, a tucker, and a pisten. For most of the cabin owners the route is packed. But there are a couple of off trail finishes to get to some of the cabins.

AdkSnowcat

Any chance of you taking some new photos of the deeper snow and all the snowcats? I never saw a Tucker there. That's a great area!