• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Well, I just got my pink slip

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All thoughts/expectations were that I was staying through 2009. Current contract goes to around March 1, 2009 with an extension likely through the rest of 2009.

Well, that changed. I just got my 2-week notice.

Merry Christmas to the Zoom family :(

Mrs. Zoom's employer is going through mass lay-offs as well. We're hoping her skill-set and # of years of service keeps her job off the target list.

I guess I'll start looking for a job come Monday. I'm not too worried about it. I may be off for a few months but I'm pretty sure things will pick back up.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Doesn't that just suck. I know exactly what you're going through. I just got my notice on Monday that as of January, the place I work for will no longer exist. Things are hurting everywhere. It's beginning to look more and more like another great depression is setting in. Good luck in finding work elsewhere.

At least my wife's work is fairly secure(if there is such a thing nowadays)

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Dang Boomer ! I'm so sorry to hear that . Keep us informed on how the job hunt goes .
Allen

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang!!
Here's hoping things pick up for the 2 Brian's.
I mean it guys, all the best and good wishes from here.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that Brian. Best of luck to you in getting another even sweeter contract. You are good at what you do, so I'm sure you'll be back at it in no time.

Like PG said so far it's hit both of our members named Brian. Hope it's not working it's way through the alphabet. :eek:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
bc keep ya spirits up dont let it make you ill.....good luck job hunting.

American Woman

Site Supporter
I'm sorry to hear this for y'all. You know it's getting bad when it starts to show up at your front door more than once like this. It's scary for me too.

The Tourist

Banned
I may be off for a few months but I'm pretty sure things will pick back up.

If not, contact Ben Dale at Edge Pro and climb down the ladder of success to become a professional tinker.:thumb:

Believe it or not, you can make a living. If you hit sporting goods stores, fabric shops, kyosks in shopping malls and word of mouth, you can make a nice living. You might have to do a few demos at places like "The All Canada Show," but you're just earning your bones.

My home is littered with knives. Yes, your 'boss' might be a jerk, but you can sleep late and pocket cash.

I never dreamed I'd do this. Ben Dale now tells me he knows several people who sharpen professionally.

Hey, no more Dior suits. Comfortable jeans and crappy black Harley T-shirts...

sonicangel

Always keep in mind. When a door shuts in life ,God will open another. So stay positive!! Things will turn around! God bless!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks everyone.

I'm not panicking or anything. I just may be getting a vacation for awhile. Why is it that I always get laid off in the winter. A summer vacation would be much nicer...

Yes, your 'boss' might be a jerk, but you can sleep late and pocket cash.

Hey, no more Dior suits. Comfortable jeans and crappy black Harley T-shirts...
Yea, my boss is a real jerk (I'm already self-employed)

I also work from home and only have to wear suits at site visits (which hasn't happened in a few years).

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian if you need anything, let me know! I'm confident you'll be fine, just want to let you know I'm just around the corner!

The company I work for is pretty busy but my wife's company has had 3 "adjustments" over the last 3 months. The last 2 "adjustments" included lay-offs in non-productive departments. The last adjustment was just yesterday were they announced 150 pink slips. Wife was informed today all salaries frozen through 2009 (she lucked out because she just got her 2008 bump). The wife works in operations (franchise business leader for 40 stores) so if the lay-offs get to her, it would pretty much be the last legs of the company.

RedRocker

I hate it for ya Brian, been there done that myself. Hopefully it will turn out to be
a good thing after the dust settles.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Dang. Ya'll are makin be glad my name is not Brian...:hide:

All kidding aside... it sux that your contract is terminated, but you are certainly better prepared than most (me) would be. We are changing a lot of things here in our company as well and that includes letting contract people go. A wage freeze was mentioned, but I am not sure it was formally decided upon.. especially since my next "up" should be next paycheck...:blink: I am scared this is goin to be a rough time for a while. Spent the afternoon yesterday with the boss and was able to do some work posturing myself for changes to come. It will require more travel and hours for me, but I am happy to take it on for the $$ and the benefit of the company...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry to hear BC. It's slow for everyone. Let's all hope for an upturn in the new year.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Got mine on Monday..."Reduction in workforce".
Things are tough all over.
My CFO told me to take December off - I guess I've been lucky as I haven't been unemployed for 18 years. Sitting here with a cup of coffee, watching the snow come down sure makes me glad the wife is still employed. Allows me time to get things situated for the new year.

Good luck to all.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well I guess for all that have lost their jobs I am sorry to hear that. I wish the best for all of you as this is a bad time of the year for it to happen. Hopefully things will turn around.

Yesterday our neighbor got a phone call from here boss that she was laid off. About an hour later or so she got a call that her mom passed away.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That always sucks.

When I worked for a major oil company, we went through five "reorganizations" in 15 years that resulted in 15% to 25% reduction in jobs each time. Now I must admit that the first two were probably required. There was enough "dead wood" in the company to build the worlds biggest bonfire. The next three were just an exercise for the benefit of Wall Street ... cut the workforce, cut overhead and drive up the stock price. Strange to say, of those that that were let go that I knew personally, most ended up being better off.

Take a week or two to regroup and then get after it. Things will get better.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that Brian. Best of luck to you in getting another even sweeter contract. You are good at what you do, so I'm sure you'll be back at it in no time.

Like PG said so far it's hit both of our members named Brian. Hope it's not working it's way through the alphabet. :eek:

No, I think it's skipping around a bit, by that theory I should have been just after the Brians not before. And not quite sure where Sushi fits in; that'd be 'P' I believe.

I've been getting a lot of the run around "after elections, after the holidays, after the New Year." Probably "after inaguration" is what I'll start hearing next. So, hopefully, I'm absorbing all the deadends and you do better - no doubt you will anyway Zoom. Regardless, best of luck, even if you don't need it! :thumb:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
ya know, it's really wierd. I work for a company that does quite a bit for the government. In fact, my trip to SO Cal has been relative to a roughly13 Million dollar contract we secured for a project relative to an executive order concerning energy conservation. Even with that I have this little voice in the back of my mind warning me that it could all come to a screaching halt, given the circumstances, and that because of cut backs and such that I wouldn't even be able to get my "just slightly more than minmum wage" job back at the sheriff's dept if something happened.

Very scarey world. Brian, I'm glad to see that (at least as you present to us) you are keeping a "Stiff upper lip" and a sense of optimism. Best wishes for you in your hunt. Let me know if i can maybe give you some contacts or maybe incorporate you into our vendor program and give you a shot at partnering on some government stuff.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that so many are losing their jobs. I work for a municipality and we are having to lay off 130 city wide just after the first of the year. In my little section I'll need to let one guy go.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got mine on Monday..."Reduction in workforce".
Things are tough all over.
My CFO told me to take December off - I guess I've been lucky as I haven't been unemployed for 18 years. Sitting here with a cup of coffee, watching the snow come down sure makes me glad the wife is still employed. Allows me time to get things situated for the new year.

Good luck to all.

Sorry to hear that John. Man, this is un friggin believeable. :eek:

Best wishes for moving on to something bigger and better. :thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No, I think it's skipping around a bit, by that theory I should have been just after the Brians not before. And not quite sure where Sushi fits in; that'd be 'P' I believe.

I've been getting a lot of the run around "after elections, after the holidays, after the New Year." Probably "after inaguration" is what I'll start hearing next. So, hopefully, I'm absorbing all the deadends and you do better - no doubt you will anyway Zoom. Regardless, best of luck, even if you don't need it! :thumb:

Dang. Sorry to hear that Spiffy. If you posted about it earlier I missed it.
Good luck to all you guys. I hope you can use the experience to better yourselves. I had my times out of work and know it is harder looking for work than working any job. Best wishes. :beer:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
CRAP!!!!!!!!!!
Buddy Im so sorry. :(
I ofcourse , know what and how you feel.
If there is ANYTHING I can do PLEASE let me know. :neutral:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

Well, hate to count my chickens before they hatch but I just got a call today asking if I'm available to start work again in a couple weeks to a month (pending approval of capital budget approval).

So, I may have a job for the some of 2009 after all.

Anyone else that got their "pink slip" getting any work in the pipeline?

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Bump.

Well, hate to count my chickens before they hatch but I just got a call today asking if I'm available to start work again in a couple weeks to a month (pending approval of capital budget approval).

So, I may have a job for the some of 2009 after all.

Anyone else that got their "pink slip" getting any work in the pipeline?
Congrats m8...all i can say:smile:

cj7

Wow.. I missed the original post and now your going back... its cool to get back to work..

I am optomistic too. Eventually it will turn around. Might not be back to where it was a few years ago but shold move to the positive.