• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How were the Buriel's Handled

Bamby

I watch the History Channel a lot and like to read. But this is one question I've always contemplated. I've never seen it covered anywhere but I've never taken the time to do a real search. It seems with all the carnage in some of the battles it would be a big issue to deal with. Is anyone aware how this was resolved.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
From my reading, burials were handled in many ways. The variables involved were,
1. Size of the battle - number of dead

2. Commander holding the field following the battle - allow defeated army to take care of their dead

3. Some battles were mobile fights - did not allow time to bury dead

4. Time of year - 95 degree heat = burials as soon as possible, winter frozen ground would delay burials

The dead had every type of treatment from being shipped home individually for burial to unmarked mass graves at battle sites. Local citizens frequently got involved by identifying the dead from letters and personal belongings and making sure the graves were marked. Many soldiers before battle would pin or tie nametags to themselves in case they did not survive. People interested still search today for burial sites of their ancestors.