• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mt Washington WMTW channel 8 snowcat history

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 789

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
To bad about that tucker ! looks like a interesting boneyard to look thru! Back in the 70,s a friend of mine was in charge of the cog railway, and i remembered a Spryte with a full cab,or at least crew cab that belonged to the observatory, probably the one Marty Ingstrom drove !!:biggrin::biggrin:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably this one which is on display in north Conway

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 745

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh man, I miss that station. Since they went digital and removed their transmitter from Mt. Washington, we no longer get it over here in Vermont. Pity, I miss the old day with Marty Ingstram and his reports from the summit. The good old day, for sure.

My apologies for hijacking the thread, but seeing that snowcat brought back memories of most likely seeing it on TV when I was younger.

Cheers, gents. :biggrin:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And maybe something newer over the edge? Surprised more cars dont drive off in the summer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 742

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Full disclosure a new member to the Tucker community and forum found the cat. Google and I did the rest . His Tucker should be on here soon!

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love that someone decided to chop the back off of the rig, then got tired of getting wet & stuck a piece of tin back up there.:hammer:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spoke with owner they have had it for about 30 years? His father purchased it from someone in Bethel, Maine which isn't far from Mt. Washington and where Sunday River Ski is without the tracks and pontoons on wheels running and driving.

Question remains as to who cut the back off. Thinking the yard did.

Tucker used in that capacity at the salvage yard to drive around compressors and tools. Been sitting for few years since.

Seed planted lets see what it grows into.

Umberto

That's all very interesting. A couple of years ago my #2 son hiked up Mt. Washington in the winter. They got a break in the weather (global warming?) and didn't need their their coats.

I'm not into your machines but can see why you like them. I've had stick time on a 113. :)

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Timberjack skidders to the rescue !!! I talked to my friend about the spryte, 4 man cab and his father sold it to someone in the northern part of the state for grooming snowmobile trails,the spryte was forest service green!!

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of the Forest Service or Park rangers from Mt. Washington bought a nice tucker from the forest service and restored it after he retired. It's a steel track and he did a real nice restoration. The machine served it's whole life on Mt. Washington. His machine was featured in a newspaper article some years back. Does anyone know this guy?, seen his cat? Why don't we have pictures?

tomelroy

https://youtu.be/DHWqjo23vAo

Last year i sandblasted and painted the doors on my 1985 LMC 1200. As i was removing layers of primer on top of paint an image/logo appeared. Mt. Washington Observatroy. I wish i had taken a picture of the logo. It was very cool. Then one day while watching snowcat videos on youtube, i realized that the cat in this video was my LMC 1200 from 20 years ago.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
At 2:50 the plaid Subi is some kind of lucky that rock kicked him back onto the road!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As I watched the performance rally I kept thinking what a bitch those rocks must have been to the operator of the snow equipment.

The rally guys deserve to hit them.

the snow operators not so much.

(I sold the rally car and effects to get into snow cats.)

the irony of these videos evokes some weird emotions in me.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Washington is a cool mountain. We take the Harley's up once a year while friends hike to top. Winter hiking only for me. Tuckermans ravine draws lots of people this time of year.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are some pics from the ravine April 27 two years ago. The auto road is up the top to the right. Cog railway is on the back side of the mountain from this view wildcat behind. Top of ravine sits 4000 and some change. That is Wildcat Ski Area out in the distance. Photos don't do a great job showing the steepness and the cornice at the top you need to drop into.

Saw a broken leg, dislocated shoulder, and massive head injury cartwheel from top to bottom middle right and med flight the day were were in there.

Few people each year die one way or another on that mountain. Most results from poor decision making.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 578

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Look in the distance you can see the snowcat plowed road . Pic was taken from wildcat few weeks back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 549

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Few people each year die one way or another on that mountain. Most results from poor decision making.

Like skiing to the right over the waterfall when it's thin. Then waiting four to six weeks to get pulled out of the creek farther down the mountain. :hammer:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Deal is sealed she is coming home. Not sure what for but it needed to be saved. Compressor is staying.

Attachments

• IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_2624.jpg
    IMG_2624.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_2622.jpg
    IMG_2622.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_2621.jpg
    IMG_2621.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_2620.jpg
    IMG_2620.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_2618.jpg
    IMG_2618.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_2616.jpg
    IMG_2616.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2625.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 540

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let me know if anyone wants reproduction of the custom sno cat spray paint logo in second to last pic.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I scrolled up to find it, Scrolled down reread its location scrolled up looking again.

( to se tthe stage In teaching in front of students )

Literally laughed out loud.

I guess, Yes I will need one.

Not