• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hagglund engine swap

rory_mcw

Evening,

I am looking to buy a bv206, it's petrol, has anyone on here converted one of these to diesel or am I better off buying a diesel machine in the first place, petrol machine £12,000 diesel 5cyl merc is £18,000.

I can carry out the job myself, that is no problem, is there a tried and tested replacement engine?

Thanks

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Dude you'r in luck i'm not just a snot trac expert I have some 15 years of experience with hagglunds . the 6 cyl Mercedes is the only motor to use if you are doing a swap using oe type components how ever you will need every thing to include the jack shaft going to the hydraulic pump and alternator than have fun with the complex electrical system. also fuel tanks will have to be changed to a model with a fuel return and you will also have to get a complex fuel switch block. a better conversion would be a 4-b cummins and matching trans from a bread truck this will necessitate making engine mounts and the same fuel issues. the next conversion I have seen is a natural aspirated 6.2 gm with a turbo 400 it actualy fit quite well and ran like a raped ape. once again it was a government experiment so cost was no obstruction. if you can buy a diesel ,you would likely be dollars ahead to get a 6 cyl diesel model with an engine all ready in it in the military we were lucky to get 600 hours out of an engine rebuild the most common problem was blown head gaskets. take a look at my thread about pulling the motor on a bv206 I documented a gas engine change I did a while back. also the 6 ford v-6's don't go much longer word on the street is the ones running in yellow stone get an engine changed about once every 2 years as a preventive maintenance measure.

ashman_42

Hey dds, im actually in the process of replacing a engine in a hagglund that someone already previously converted to a 4.3lt vortec w/TH700 trans. Long story short, the previous guy that did the conversion cut the factory oil pan so it only contained 4litres of oil and destroyed the rod and main bearings because it was run to hard. Where im at with the project is the fellow butchered the wiring really bad, its running the 24vt system for the hagglund side of electrical, and the 4.3litre is running a on a seperate 12vt system ---what a nightmare of wiring. What would it take to convert it to 12vt? I already installed my own custom built gauge panel to monitor the engine and trans temps. Heater, bilge pump, fuel cross over valve all would run on 12vt? anything else im missing?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the lighting circuit you will need high and low beam head lights, also the tail light circuit. now you aren't going into combat so you could delete the composite switch that locks out the standard lights when in black out mode. also if you wanted functioning turn signals you would likely want a grote universal turn signal switch, and 552 flasher. the brake light switch will work on both 12 or 24 volts the headlights will just use an h-4 halligon bulb you can also get 12 volt replacements for the taillight bulbs once you have done your 12 volt conversion you can now get rid of that $1500.00 dollar alternator and put in a more reasonable delco type.the other thing you are going to have to work around is the protective control box under the drivers seat,those relays and solenoids are all 24 volt coils and will have to be changed out to 12 volt relays and continuous duty solenoids. i'm betting I forgot some thing but there is a good start the best way to do the wiring would be to gut it all and start over you may not be up to the task but even a journeyman electrician like mike (red squirl ) will pull his hair out trying to follow the schematic's on that electrical system the thing has an unnecessarily complex electrical system on it. if it were me I would wire it like a 70's model car and install a battery master disconnect switch.

ashman_42

hey, thanx for the reply, I'm a jman heavy equiptment tech and wiring is actually my strong suite, if you have a schematic it would greatly help, I'll post pics of my conversion.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I lost all info I had on those when my old laptop crashed. if you want to e- mail me it is leverguns@gmail.com. also post some pics of your rig so I can see which model you have also which engine did it come with, and are you using an efi motor now or a carb motor. one other thing I forgot like a boat the gas models have a bilge blower to evacuate any fuel vapors that might accumulate in the bilge.