• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ram steer

undy

It uses a hydraulic ram to control the turning angle of the drag relative to the cat. Sort of like an articulated farm tractor. You bend it in the middle, and it goes around the corner.

With brake steer, you're braking one track to turn the cat, and then the drag has to follow.

caldonia

Thanks Undy

My drag is a bit less sophisticated.

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 259

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
actually the steering on most all twin track snow cats isn't brake steer but planetary steering. You drop speed on the inside track by about 20 percent and increase outside speed by 20percent. What folks call a steering brake isn't really that ,but a band locking a planetary drum to drop inside speed pushing power through another set of planetary's in the center differential to give the overdrive to the outside track. This way both tracks are being driven in a turn. This system sucks up a lot of horsepower and the steering bands will slip and heat up loosing their friction if used a lot the oc manual stated to use a short jerking action to make turns and not to slip the band too much or accelerated wear will happen I find on our wind blown hard pack that I have to make plenty wide turns because of band slippage, I actually broke a band last winter.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
this is a ram steer from a shop industrial (mogul master) drag.

basically a hydraulic RAM that STEERS you.

balanced ones have the hoses crossed so the machine steers the same in both directions.

if it had one ram it would steer quicker left or right as the volume on the in stroke displaces less fluid.

notice the end has a swivel for pitch.
the round elements seat into pockets for Yaw.

I intend to install an orbital valve and steer my 2100 project like a car, or tucker, ST4 ect...

Attachments

• DSC04256.jpg
    DSC04256.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC04257.jpg
    DSC04257.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 196

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
this is a ram steer from a shop industrial (mogul master) drag.

basically a hydraulic RAM that STEERS you.

balanced ones have the hoses crossed so the machine steers the same in both directions.

if it had one ram it would steer quicker left or right as the volume on the in stroke displaces less fluid.

notice the end has a swivel for pitch.
the round elements seat into pockets for Yaw.

I intend to install an orbital valve and steer my 2100 project like a car, or tucker, ST4 ect...

Ugh this camera!!!! ever since it hit the floor at Nite owls!!!!

really don't think you need ram steer-----ram steer is great for smaller cats pulling way to big and heavy drags----years ago clubs would buy bombi cats to groom with and than put ram steer on them ---a bombi was not built to pull a load--so they would burn out brakes---and would loose traction turning because of breaking one track---ram steer keeps both tracks driving all the time-----don't know where you go with your cat ---but taking every other silde slip plate off your tracks will help you turn better---and alternate them inside and outside-----when cutting down pb. tracks I 45 the edges on the cleats it will turn easier and help it not walk out of a track on hard ground---here is a pic. of my trail no ram steer needed---this pic.was using my geo tracker on mattracks I also use a sv200

Attachments

• trail drag--easy pull 005.jpg
    trail drag--easy pull 005.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 174