• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

BOOK: Landrover & Snow Trac Photos & References

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ice Queen sent me some scanned imaged from a book that one of her friends lent her. This what what Anita wrote:
The book is an A4 size paperback book called Landrover, series 11 and 11a 1958 - 1971, Compiled by R. M. Clarke and distributed by Brooklands Book Distribution Ltd. 'Holmerise'. Seven Hills Road, Cobham, Surrey, England. (ISBN 0 948207 98 1).

It belongs to a Landrover fanatic, a friend of a friend that I bought my Jeep from, in fact he used to run a garage and looked after the Jeep. He got quite excited when he discovered that I had a snowtrac and had to come over to see it that day with Jim, my friend! Incidentally have you any idea who I can contact over in the USA to get a new softtop for the Jeep as I have been advised that as it is an M38 and fairly rare over here, to get one from the America?

I have resized the images so they fit on the ForumsForums, many thanks to Ice Queen :applause:

I also posted a downloadable PDF file in my Photo Gallery. The PDF file is much larger than these images and is higher resolution so it is easier to read. Here is a link: http://www.forumsforums.com/pp53/showphoto.php?photo=940&cat=505

Attachments

• horses-for-courses-1.png
    horses-for-courses-1.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 281
  • horses-for-courses-2.png
    horses-for-courses-2.png
    113 KB · Views: 277
  • horses-for-courses-3.png
    horses-for-courses-3.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 280
  • horses-for-courses-4.png
    horses-for-courses-4.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 301

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Landrover Book w/Snow Trac references

Oddly enough, as I was reading the article that Anita sent, I had just gotten to the line that reads:
Moral: Don't trust (a) virgin snow and (b) grinning Snow Trac drivers . . .
The phone rang next to me and my neighbor needed help. He was out in his old Jeep CJ and got it stuck. :yum: He needed me to bring the Snow Trac to come over and pull him out of a bog that he slipped into. It was covered over with snow, but not frozen underneath. To make things worse, he was stuck a long way from any road access and not very many people would be willing to take a 4x4 back to him because it requires driving through snow covered lowland and drifted over drainage ditches. All idea for trapping another 4x4. There are trees close enough to use IF HE HAD A WINCH, which he didn't, so it was Snow Trac to the rescue.

Attachments

• 1jeep.jpg
    1jeep.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 268

mtmogs

B_Skurka said:
Oddly enough, as I was reading the article that Anita sent, I had just gotten to the line that reads:
Moral: Don't trust (a) virgin snow and (b) grinning Snow Trac drivers . . .

That's a great quote! Thanks Bob and thanks to Anita for the article. How did your ST4 do pulling your neighbor out of the hole?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Landrover Book w/Snow Trac Photos & References

Bob - I suspect you are a grinning Snow-Trac driver all the time.

You are having too much fun in that thing! I'm jealous! ;)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

mtmogs said:
That's a great quote! Thanks Bob and thanks to Anita for the article. How did your ST4 do pulling your neighbor out of the hole?

He will be stuck until we have a prolonged draught :moon:

When he called he said he just needed a little nudge. When I looked under the Jeep I figured it was hoepless but was willing to try. His transfer case was totally hung up on a solid berm, both left wheels were simply spinning freely in slush, both right wheels were spinning freely in the snow.

The first attempt was to pull him back, it didn't budge. In fact I think in addition to being hung up on he berm I think he is also on a branch or a root too. I suggested a possible side pull, hooked to the bumper at the front right I tried pulling him up on an angle to get at least his right side onto something solid. Again nothing. That is why I think he is snagged on something like a root or fallen branch. We could not even rock it side to side.

If he is smart, he'll grab a hi-lift jack and jack up the left side of the Jeep, get something under the wheels and see what the heck he is stuck on.

But the good news is he got to ride home a 1/2 mile in a Snow Trac. Not everyone can say that :StickOutT

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Landrover Book w/Snow Trac Photos & References

Glad you are enjoying the article. Snowtracs win over Jeeps, even ones in Wales with the wrong hood (English for the canvas roof).

EDIT BY BOB:
I also posted a downloadable PDF file in my Photo Gallery. The PDF file is much larger than these images and is higher resolution so it is easier to read. Here is a link: http://www.forumsforums.com/pp53/showphoto.php?photo=940&cat=505