• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mary Ann a real piece of Antarctic history

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Us old ice hands have a soft spot in out hearts for these old beasts

54 inch track pads direct drive transition and a D 342 or the high power ones had a D 353 engine
I will look I had some picture of the 50 th birthday party they threw for em the last time I was down

hope She goes to a good home not for scrap! tuckerville?:clap:

http://antarcticauction.com/section/construction-heavy-equipment/

Attachments

• feb stuff 001.jpg
    feb stuff 001.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 560
  • feb stuff 002.jpg
    feb stuff 002.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 560
  • feb stuff 003.jpg
    feb stuff 003.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 557

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Steve, It definitely would be a shame to scrap them !! you ought to own one to go with your snow trac!!!!:biggrin: funny its named the same as the first steam lombard !!!!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I had to look that one up I had never seen a wide pad 8 I know a guy who operated a 9 on a daisy chain in Thompson pass during the construction of the Alaska pipeline

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Case we want to set up a joint venture on saving the old girl, some pic
from the B day and around the town, Pulling the balloon building after the D8 couldn't

Attachments

• 100_2998.jpg
    100_2998.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 464
  • 100_3008.jpg
    100_3008.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 469

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
some more pic

Attachments

• havola1.jpg
    havola1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 465
  • MARY ANN.jpg
    MARY ANN.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 468
  • pam 2 003.jpg
    pam 2 003.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 472
  • pam 2 014.jpg
    pam 2 014.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 465

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Steve, That last picture machine must have had a d353 engine in it.Nice conversion of the Balderson chip blades. Don

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Us old ice hands have a soft spot in out hearts for these old beasts

54 inch track pads direct drive transition and a D 342 or the high power ones had a D 353 engine
I will look I had some picture of the 50 th birthday party they threw for em the last time I was down

hope She goes to a good home not for scrap! tuckerville?:clap:

http://antarcticauction.com/section/construction-heavy-equipment/

scott scott scott, do we have room in the back 40? tuckerville minion

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
with that beast you can make all the room you need!

Attachments

• d87.jpg
    d87.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 435
  • 1_30115_1_83[1].gif
    1_30115_1_83[1].gif
    125.8 KB · Views: 440

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I know those are d-8's what is with the space between the cab and engine I knew something looked off with the cab now I see it are the frames stretched also

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
they stretched the frame for more track to lower the grown pressure and more pulling power. Gerald Christ and Russ did a lot of mods to the frames as they did crack. there was a belly tank there too so I was told
Gerald is on the slope now and Russ should be coming off the ice now.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that's cool there is a lot of extra space in the bellies for fuel and those things can drink it down. when you say direct drive transmissions do you mean they don't have a power shift trans?

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
nope direct drive....... no top rollers either, I am trying to get a couple of ice friends to join the forum and to come to Mt hood, They ran them so have more first hand knowledge of them the traverse and the tuckers. Dave worked with Tucker on the tucker they flew to waist divide. I hoping he come to Mt hood in Apr.
Me I was stuck in the power plant keeping my D399s going drinking coffee and getting fat on doughnut's

Attachments

• 100_3100.jpg
    100_3100.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 427
  • 100_3127.jpg
    100_3127.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 417
  • 100_3113.jpg
    100_3113.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 416
Very interesting - are those wooden timbers to support the upper track sections instead of rollers?

Attachments

• 100_3127.jpg
    100_3127.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 353

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I noticed those as well. I wonder if they help to keep ice from building up in the rails and pins. When operaing they would fill the gap and let nothing in the rails. Rollers may build up with ice and snow and pack this between the rails. It would also affect track tension. JMHO. Hope some one here knows the answer..

I've been told the D343 engines (DOHC 4 valve motors in 1962!!) were not easy to start in cold weather. Obviously these guys had a way figured out!

Regards, Kirk

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Replacing top rolls with hardwood "sliders" is an old trick from the logging industry.you didn't have to worry about top rolls freezing up.Heres a picture of my old 1952 oliver cletrac ,used in Maine to haul Lombard sleds. I have since put new hardwood sliders on her. As far as the chains packing with snow most for use in winter had cutouts. Don

Oliver-_6227.jpg

oliver-calendar_6273.jpg

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
I just flew up to Prudhoe today, on the flight was a crane operator headed to Pt Thompson. He just came from McMurdo and I asked him about Mary Ann. He said he walked her down to the ice pier under her own power to load on the ship this years ship. So She was running then.
He said there no more stretch 8 in McMurdo now. course there a few down in crevasse and at little America and sunk in the bay.

Scott would look good with your tuckers!

mog5858

you will be happy to know that Mary Ann now has a nice new home and is beaning well taken care of. a friend in California owns her and makes sure she get out and walks around a little.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Good news! If he needs some info help let me know. Old RUss is in Calif he's got more experience than anyone
Pictures?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This old girl has never been to the ice but is building the new Sno-Cat house. Cable blade and diesel fluid torque converter.

Attachments

• DSCN2733.jpg
    DSCN2733.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 307

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
scott, it looks like you need some rocks.
is this at your home?
jim

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
there are a few cable cats still working for a living around here. funny how much terex stuff is also still being used

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Scott,I miss running the old 19A D-9 i had, she was a fast stepper until you got half a blade full of material. :biggrin:Those look like Fleco sweeps on that machine, nice !!!!!:clap::clap:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I still remember the day I sunk a 9g in the tundra I had to step up when stepping off the top of the tracks a 320 excavator some timbers and 4 hours later it was freed from it's hole.

mog5858

she was out at Sand margarita show. i bet she will be out there again.
the nose art was re-dune but better job is yet to come. she got a little paint on her fuel tank but i don't have of pic of it.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
The stretched cats must have been built off a 36A. I spent many, many days pushing rock to a crusher w/ one. Bit of trivia: Does anyone know where the "johnson bar" got it's name from?
Mike

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Scott,I miss running the old 19A D-9 i had, she was a fast stepper until you got half a blade full of material. :biggrin:Those look like Fleco sweeps on that machine, nice !!!!!:clap::clap:

You IDed it Don, a 19A last year 1957, hyd tilt on blade and ripper. Here is a 2U which I rigged up a hyd tilt too. Makes it a real worker.

Attachments

• D-8&9 two.jpg
    D-8&9 two.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 289

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's some pic of one of the 24 fresh on the factory floor
One of the guys in the photo was still alive when I was on the ice in 2002 and living in Florida.

I use to have a parts book for them and don't know what happen to it
Olds himers setting in I guess.

1/2 of the production went to the ice the other 1/2 went to the arctic to build /support the dew line

some had D353s and a 500 gal fuel tank on the ft and were traverse Cats.

Mary Ann and the others went to Christ Church got frame ups with the ropps cab and the better blades and reinforced the frames

Scott
thought your were just throwing up a shack to hide a few tuckers in
If you putting up a "CAT" house I will be down! can I be the bouncer?
:clap:

Attachments

• copyD8 factory Photo-1.jpg
    copyD8 factory Photo-1.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 279
  • copyD8 factory Photo-2.jpg
    copyD8 factory Photo-2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 278
  • copyD8 factory Photo-3.jpg
    copyD8 factory Photo-3.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 281
  • cpoyD8 factory Photo-4.jpg