• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

County Emergency Called ~ ALL roads CLOSED

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My county commissioners and sheriff just jointly announced that they are closing all the roads in the county to all traffic.

Also, starting at 6pm this evening the county east of mine (Porter) is closing all their roads and pulling all their snowplows off the roads.

We've gotten a foot of snow. More is falling. But the major problem is the blowing and drifting. The east/west roads are impassible. North/south roads just suck really bad :doh:

Temps are dropping. It was in the mid-20's when I was out earlier, but we are into the single digits and heading below Zero soon.

State police post, which is on the other side of town, is telling people to reconsider any travel plans during the next 48 hours.

Tollroad and Interstates are closed too.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like fun!! Head out and make sure the genny is running!! Hope the guys at the NG compressor station are there making sure you don't freeze up!! This weather is crazy.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We haven't had that call here. YET!

Temps are at 14F and falling. Snow depth is 8 inches but blowing just like what you guys have.

Our County is waiting till sundown to call it.
I am waiting till they make a call to make my decision on running the plant Monday. Managers are supposed to get on a conference call a 8:00 tonite.

I just tried my truck. It started fine but I had trouble negotiating in what is left on the street. I am the most south of all the employees. So I'll let the plant manager make the call. He is the most north and the most remote of all of them.

We finished all the major contract last Friday and got them out early so no panic to go in. No one needs to get hurt for a paycheck.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Bob - wouldn't be nice if you had some form of tracked vehicle that was really good in the snow? Might be kind of useful to you! :poke:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Bob - wouldn't be nice if you had some form of tracked vehicle that was really good in the snow? Might be kind of useful to you! :poke:
Too damn cold to play in the snow.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a good time to stay home. Be safe all of you.

Its actually quite beautiful, well its beautiful when the wind is not pounding.

image_zps15ebec5b.jpg

image_zps0993e2f1.jpg

image_zps086a86db.jpg

image_zps4d2c73ad.jpg

image_zps108cbefb.jpg

image_zpsb0db7dbd.jpg

image_zpsec135d64.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
All major highways here are still covered. MODOT has not been able to clear even the one Interstate I-70 to St Louis or thru St Charles county.
I spoke with the team and nobody can get around so we are calling it.

Monday I will just have to suffer cabin fever. Plant is closed.

I do hope most folks get to stay home tomorrow. It is just crazy to go out there

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That sucks Bob. Sure would be nice to have a snowtrac to bomb around in with all that white stuff.:whistling:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We've got the cold but thankfully not the snow.

It's below freezing now and supposed to be about 15 by the morning. Factor in the wind blowing at 25 mph and the wind chill will be down around zero.

Heck, this is East Texas. It's not supposed to be that COLD.

I have to go out tomorrow morning so I'll just have to wrap up warm and right now I think that I've got a cold or flu starting. I feel miserable but I've got to go out there. Crap.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We were at 45 yesterday afternoon. 25 this morning, and expected to drop to zero by evening. So far most of the snow has missed us. We had an inch or so this morning but the roads were still warm from yesterday so it did not stick to them at least.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well 90 miles of Interstate 65 are still closed this morning south all the way to Lafayette. Interstates 80/94 are both closed from the Indiana/Illiinois state line east past LaPorte.

The South Shore Train system is close from Chicago to South Bend.

I have friends locked in at both US Steel and Accor-Mittal Steel mills. An ore train jumped the tracks at US Steel.

National Guard was dispatched to several areas to assist in rescues.

Its a mess in NW Indiana and its darn cold too. Temps are expected to be -12 for the HIGH temp today.

Took Snowball out this morning, he ran back inside and pee'd on the floor.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WGN weather just announced that the weather in Northwest Indiana is now -18 degrees F outside, with wind chills as low a -44 degrees F.

Hoping to get up to -12 degrees F later today.

My house is not made for these prolonged sub-Zero temperatures. We have 28 big windows on the west wall of the house, and while they are insulated glass and about as thermally efficient as a window can be, they are still big sheets of glass that let a lot of cold come through. Me thinks my furnace will be running most of the day today with only short breaks to rest. It will be worse if the wind picks up again and we lose the sun, but for now its pretty calm out there and the morning sun is shining. If that keeps up the sun will offset some of that heat loss.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too have a lot of windows. Yesterday afternoon, I took moving blankets and covered several of them. There was a notable improvement.

Still not bad here but what IL/IN is getting now is headed our way. Forecast has us dropping 2 degrees per hour for the remainder of the day with an overnight low of -10 to -15 and with wind chills, -35 and below.

So, if it's going to be zero degrees tomorrow and twice as warm by Wednesday, what temp is that?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:whistling:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 476

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the rural roads (unincorporated areas) in the county are still officially closed. There is movement up to the north part of the county were most of the population lives. Stores are open, roads are passable.

My wife was just notified that she has another day off tomorrow as the local school system will be closed again.

The interstate highways are still closed due to snow/blowing/drifting.

Little dog went outside to go pee-pee. Big dog is holding it . . . until spring.

On the bright side the furnace has been holding the house at a very comfortable 70 degrees all day, so I'm happy with the new furnace that was installed this summer.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Good that your furnace is holding up. It's been hard enough dealing with this cold up here. Last week, the heating system at work failed. My office is in an old 2 story school. We have a part of the second floor where I work. Other organizations also have space in the building. Apparently we have two separate systems for this place. The older boiler system controls the heat on the first floor while we have a newer furnace system.

Both systems failed last week. Ours was barely keeping the temp in the office at 45-55F. Downstairs, the boiler system dampers were stuck and they were roasting at a balmy 87 degrees in their office.

They got the systems apparently fixed friday. Today, our office is alright. The office next to mine is at 86F. And they are apparently freezing downstairs.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I could see my wife freaking out stuck in the house no cancer sticks. no way to get them and kids bouncing off the walls thank god we live in Alaska where that kind of weather doesn't shut us down.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The interstates are now open, as of an hour and half ago.

North county, where it is very urban is open, my cigar lounge opened without me. I'm just down in the unincorporated area and the roads are technically still closed, but I'm getting reports that say they are all passable. I've just got no good reason to go outside. So no need to see if the road is open or not.

At some point I need to pull the tractor out and make another pass on the driveways, but there is no real NEED other than the fact that I'm stir crazy.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
At some point I need to pull the tractor out and make another pass on the driveways, but there is no real NEED other than the fact that I'm stir crazy.
You don't NEED to pull the tractor out. I thought about doing the same but said, screw it, it's too damn cold.

If I did plow, that's one less reason for Mrs. Zoom to justify working from home tomorrow.

Schools already cancelled classes for tomorrow. I'm home. Mrs. Z should stay home as well.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
We awoke to the phone ringing yesterday morning. It was the power company calling to say that they would have our power restored soon and if we needed shelter somewhere from the cold to let them know. I never noticed the power going out with our automatic backup generator now completely installed. With the ambient air temperature being -5, I am glad that we no longer have to worry about power outages!

We didn't get but, maybe, 1/2" of snow. The precipitation here came in the form of about an inch and a half of rain and then temps dropped around 40 degrees in 6 hours. Other than frozen pipes (we sometimes go for decades here without having sub-zero temps) and bursting water mains, power outages are the only real danger in my area. I guess people who have to park their vehicles outside may have had their doors frozen shut and some may not have started, but no issues with the roads here.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

I put the 10' snow blade on the front of my tractor and setup a playlist on iTunes I was going to play in the cab of my tractor while I plowed roads and driveways, but the 8-10" of snow that was predicted for here was totally off. As mentioned in the previous post, we maybe got 1/2" of snow and, with the high winds, the powdery stuff just blew off the driveway and roads. When it's really cold and windy, I really like the large comfortable, 2 seat, cab my tractor has. :smile:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our power just came back on. Thank you linemen!!!

-9° here right now. Our power went out this morning. Grabbed the battery/inverter packs and plugged in the wood stoves. I get nervous without the fans running on them as the stoves will get pretty darn hot.

Power company said the outage was only going to be a couple hours so I didn't bother firing up the generator.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our power just came back on. Thank you linemen!!!

-9° here right now. Our power went out this morning. Grabbed the battery/inverter packs and plugged in the wood stoves. I get nervous without the fans running on them as the stoves will get pretty darn hot.

Power company said the outage was only going to be a couple hours so I didn't bother firing up the generator.

1517472_10202343763251134_1611699368_n.jpg