• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rahm Emanuel snared in disgraced IL Governor's trial

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure how much national media attention this gets, here in the Chicagoland area the media pretty much is treating this as a 3-ring circus with former Governor Rod Blagojevich as a clown. Apparently the defense team has issued subpoenas to drag Obama's Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel into court to testify.

I didn't bother to put this story into the debate thread because I don't think anyone consider this trail to be anything other than a bad reality TV show. Blago was caught red handed, but he is turning the whole trial into a huge joke. Its going to be fun to watch when the real hearings start. He has actually stated that he plans to call into some of the Chicago radio shows to give his 'commentary' of how the trail is going.

On only has to wonder if he will continue calling from Federal prison after his conviction :hammer:

Blago's defense team subpoenas chief of staff
By Eric Zimmermann - 06/02/10 02:27 PM ET
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/101075-blagos-defense-team-subpoenaes-rahm

Lawyers for Rod Blagojevich have subpoenaed Rahm Emanuel, the Sun-Times reports.
rod-blagojevich-totally-looks-like-cabbage-patch-kid1.jpg
Blagojevich stands accused, among other things, of trying to extort then-Rep. Emanuel (D-Ill.). Defense Attorney Shelly Sorosky said Emanuel's testimony is relevant to his client's alleged efforts to profit from what was then President-Elect Barack Obama's vacant Senate seat.

The former Illinois governor has already subpoenaed Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Harry Reid (D-Nev.), though none of those subpoenaed may actually be forced to testify.

A judge has declined the defense's efforts to subpoena Obama.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I've caught some coverage of it though mostly by various reporters from the Chicago area. I do agree that Blago is turning his trial into a 3 ring circus. I'm sure though you have seen the poster before that says, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with BS". I have the feeling this is Blago's whole tactic. :smile:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with BS". I have the feeling this is Blago's whole tactic. :smile:

Yup.

He has been waging an all out "I'm a good guy" campaign to gain sympathy. He had a radio show based in Chicago where he acted as an advocate for the little guy, the show just was suspended this past week due to the start of the trial. I listened to the show a couple times, it was pretty much a joke but I suppose some folks bought into it. Then he was on Donald Trump's Celebrity Apprentice where he tried to portray himself as innocent, competent and responsible. He's made dozens, perhaps hundreds, of appearances trying to gain sympathy.

But clearly its just an act.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
He is just a little too slick for my sympathy and comes across more as a complete fraud.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Blago is a crook, everyone with half a brain can tell that from the recorded calls that were heard on the radio, TV, newspapers and he acts like a slimeball. Having said that, I doubt he will go to trial. He will either "Cop" a plea, the charges will be dropped on some kind of technicality or he will have an "Accident"...

The fact that the guy is scum seems to be lost on most people, he is a crooked politician and all those he was/is dealing with are the same all the way to the President. Obama, who by his own merit on the job dealings for a guy dropping out of the Senate Race may take it's toll as well, same pile of stink, and ring of people.

These guys have promised everyone the world with no intentions of being around when the house of cards fall in, and they can blame someone else. Even the Health care crap won't go into effect until the 2014 elections are over so they will appear to be not responsible.

Nope, this is going to get a lot bigger by the day and the summer is going to be pretty hot for a lot of people in power. Americans are just getting fed up with A$$holes of any party, and most incumbants will be looking for work this fall.

Obama says he never dealt with Blago...

6a00e552560c4288340105365475fa970b-800wi

blago-daley-obama.jpg

obama-and-blago.jpg

blago-obama-teddy-kennedy.jpg
trib-blago.jpg

blago_obama2.jpg

610x.jpg

obama-and-blago.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Foggy, the trial (reality show circus) starts TOMORROW. It is going to happen :hammer:

But it looks like Blago's net has widened a bit . . .
RAHM EMANUEL (and Valerie Jarrett) SUBPOENAED BY BLAGOJEVICH: ATTORNEY
By Natasha Korecki on June 2, 2010 12:54 PM | Permalink | Comments (19) | TrackBacks (0)
http://blogs.suntimes.com/blago/2010/06/rahm_emanuel_subpoenaed_by_bla.html

Reporting with Lynn Sweet
Rahm%20Emanuel.jpg
President Obama's chief of staff Rahm Emanuel was subpoenaed by the defense to testify in Rod Blagojevich's upcoming trial, a Blagojevich attorney told the Chicago Sun-Times.

"Yes, he's been subpoenaed by the defense," one of Rod Blagojevich's lawyers, Shelly Sorosky said today.

Valerie Jarrett was also subpoenaed, according to the White House, which also confirmed Emanuel's subpoena after the Sun-Times reported the news.

Rod Blagojevich's trial begins tomorrow.

Sorosky described Emanuel as a "critical" witness because: "he's the supposed victim of an extortion." One of the charges against Blagojevich accuses him of attempting to extort Emanuel while he was a congressman.

Sorosky said there are two areas of interest involving Emanuel: the alleged attempted extortion of Emanuel by then-Gov. Blagojevich and the U.S. senate seat selection concerning now-White House adviser Valerie Jarrett.

Jarrett was initially interested in the Senate seat post after Obama was elected president in 2008 and Emanuel had some discussions with both Blagojevich and his staff about the open seat.

Blagojevich had the sole power to appoint a replacement to Obama's vacant seat. He's charged with trying to extract a personal benefit from his potential nominees in exchange for an appointment.

The defense in Blagojevich's case has already subpoenaed Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin and U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. -- all are Democrats.

Sorosky acknowledged that Emanuel, and many others who have been subject of subpoenas, might not actually be called to testify.

"We served a lot of these people just in case they were needed," Sorosky said. "We don't know if we're going to call them or not. It depends on what happens at trial."

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Foggy, the trial (reality show circus) starts TOMORROW. It is going to happen :hammer:

But it looks like Blago's net has widened a bit . . .

I won't be over until the Judge's gavel hits for the last time. Going to be a hoot!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
More silly from from Blago. Read the comments from HIS LAWYER, this guy must be a real tool.
Blagojevich trial may entangle Obama
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_blagojevich_trial

By Andrew Stern – Wed Jun 2, 11:30 am ET
CHICAGO (Reuters) – Even Rod Blagojevich's lawyer finds him a bit strange, which may provide the key to the former Illinois governor's strategy at his upcoming corruption trial -- he was all talk, but no action.

Among the 24 counts of fraud, conspiracy, bribery and racketeering that could land Blagojevich a long prison sentence are charges he dangled President Barack Obama's vacant U.S. Senate seat to the highest bidder or demanded a cabinet post for himself in exchange for naming an Obama aide to the seat.

Since his arrest at dawn on December 9, 2008, Blagojevich has repeated his mantra of innocence in nonstop interviews, in a book, on the airwaves as a local disc jockey, and to anyone who would listen on NBC's "Celebrity Apprentice" television show. Married with two young daughters, the 53-year-old former two-term Democrat governor and, before that, three-term U.S. representative said he is trying to make a living since being impeached and ousted last year by the state legislature.
His attorney told an interviewer that he had neither the capability nor the intention of shutting Blagojevich up.

"He's a celebrity idiot, but he is a celebrity," Sam Adam Jr. told Chicago Magazine of plans to let his client testify.

Quieting Blagojevich would never work, he added.

"I can't. But you're going to see when he testifies. He's truly funny -- totally self-absorbed but truly funny," Adams said. "He's also one of the most insecure people I've ever met. It's such a strange dynamic."
Another possible wild card in Blagojevich's long-awaited trial that begins on Thursday is whether it will entangle Obama and his aides in Illinois' hurly-burly political theater.

The trial, which is expected to last up to four months, may expose discrepancies in how members of Obama's future administration characterized its contacts with Blagojevich after the November 2008 election.

Blagojevich is accused of trying to trade official acts for kickbacks to his campaign fund, to his friends, to his wife, Patti, and to himself. He is accused of trying to extract favors from, among others, a movie producer, the chief of a local children's hospital, and the Chicago Tribune.

Judge James Zagel of the U.S. District Court ruled out a defense request to have Obama testify. But among those who may take the stand are senior White House staffers Rahm Emanuel and Valerie Jarrett, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, U.S. Senator Richard Durbin, and U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.

"Given the former Governor's previous antics regarding this case, it's no surprise he is casting a wide net -- apparently from the President down to dogcatcher," a statement from Durbin's office said after the Senate Democrat was served.

CRIMES OR HORSE TRADING?
There is also the shadowy figure of a convicted influence peddler, Antoin "Tony" Rezko, a former friend to both Obama and Blagojevich who may testify for the prosecution.

Prosecutors are expected to rely heavily on the testimony of former Blagojevich aides, three of whom have pleaded guilty, and audio tapes featuring the often foul-mouthed Blagojevich. The FBI recorded 500 hours of conversations involving Blagojevich and his cohorts. Prosecutors say they engaged in a turbocharged version of "pay-to-play" politics, and will play some 100 hours of the tapes for the jury.

Early on, Chicago's high-profile U.S. attorney Patrick Fitzgerald released snippets of tape transcripts of the tapes and said he had halted a "political corruption crime spree" that would have made Abraham Lincoln roll over in his grave. Blagojevich's predecessor, Republican George Ryan, was convicted on corruption charges and is in prison.

Unlike Ryan, Blagojevich is not accused of pocketing any money himself and experts say his task is to depict his talk as typical political horse trading. "Play all the tapes" to show the overall context, Blagojevich has repeated constantly.

In an impromptu news conference last month, Blagojevich called out Fitzgerald to meet him face to face in court -- "I hope you're man enough," he said. The following day, presiding Judge James Zagel told him sternly there would be no "head butting" in his courtroom.​

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Perhaps the will this will become the case of this century much like the OJ one was of the last century. This one might be funny though unlike the OJ case was, wouldn't that be nice for a change.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This one might be funny
I have a feeling the radio talkshows will be playing "Blago bits" each day as they recount the highlights of the trial. Something tells me humor will be a daily part of this trial.

no-sale-lk1210d.jpg

bail-bonds-wpcbe081212.jpg

blago-ebay-tt081211.jpg

Red

It's not a 3-ring circus, it just Chicago style politics! That leads directly to the White House. Now if the National Media would cover the White House like Chicago is covering the trial. . . .

Here comes the "Carbon Tax" THAT no one believes (like Health Care) will pass. Time to buy a bicycle!