• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wide track tucker

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Senior member of our snowmobile club has a business on a visible corner, I spyed a Wide track sedan looking tucker there yesterday, I am a fairly new-to-snow-cat type of person and read most of what pops up here and at the koz's site, I have never seen anyone chat about a wide track Tucker before.

I called to inquire about it and he said it is his personal cat, it is going out on a project and that it has a 4 cyl perkins, IH trans and he has owned it for 20+ years.

I have seen long tracks, rubber tracks, rubber and steel tracks and steel tracks, but never a wide track.

Is my newbieness showing or are they a minority product?

Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there was a member here a ccouple of years ago had one i think his had a road oiler 4-53 and international axles which were parger than the usual dana 60's

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Don is correct.

IIRC the forum member is VX Climber (or something similar). Tucker had a wide track option for their 1700 series machines and called them a 2700 series. (I think sometimes they just called them a 1700 wide track as well.)

The standard width Tucker rubber tracks are 28" wide and they use four rubber belts on each track. The machines are right at eight feet wide.

The wide tracks use six rubber belts per track and are close to ten feet wide. I think I read on a Tucker brochure that the tracks are 38 inches wide.

My impression is the wide tracks are fairly rare and due to their width are somewhat less popular as one must remove the tracks for transport. Still though... very cool machines.

Speaking of "cool"... Old radial aircraft engines have a very unique sound as they start up and I just love to hear them. The old two-stroke Detroits have a pretty unique sound too and though I'm sure it "gets old" if you're in the cab, I do enjoy hearing them.

If you go to youtube and search for "VX climber" you can see some videos of his 2742.

This may be completely wrong but I seem to remember VX Climber indicating he might be willing to part with his.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It has six belts, I also noticed the Rockwell axles, they look just like the rockwell based axles under a 1300 series IH that resides here.

Moving must not be too much of a hassle as it is out on assignment now in a marsh/bog project. (I doubt it was de-tracked to move it) I will try to get a photo of it when it comes back in.

This one came from a ski area in MI.

enough snow cats have followed me home this summer So I will refrain from searching videos, But thanks for the heads up, when I am bored in fall maybe then I can peek.

Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you are right the sound of a wasp both on start up and in climb is cool and th road oilers have a verry distinct sound but one can get tired of listening to a road oiler with an iron lung if you have to work around one for any time